ARBs and seal problems

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have had three different ARB's. Loved each one of them. I covered all of my pressure line with 3/8" rubber hose to pretect it and never had a problem.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Hickey said:
I have had three different ARB's. Loved each one of them. I covered all of my pressure line with 3/8" rubber hose to pretect it and never had a problem.

I've had two and thought they were a pretty impressive product (LOVED the selectability). I'd buy again.

I've heard all the horror stories and never had any trouble with my solenoids, switches, lines, etc. I had the compressor and electrical junk in the passenger compartment of a Cherokee. That could have something to do with the reliability, but maybe not? The only thing that did happen (twice) on my D30 was the carrier split apart due to a bent housing. I repaired the ARB (thanks again Kurt) and set it up in my new housing and ran it after that....

J Kimmel

I've had mine for a year now, and yes I've heard all the horror stories too. I never thought I would own one and then I broke an inner shaft, that broke my birfield and hub and my front detroit all at once. So when I built my 60, I decided to go ARB. The only issue I've had in the first year is a switch went bad, I've since swapped to simpler toggle switches instead.
Otherwise no leaks no anything but on demand traction!

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I've owned a couple myself. I heard all the horror stories about the plastic lines failing, so I used a braided air line. Never once had a line or switch fail.. However, I couldn't keep the locker it'self from busting. Between U Rings, O Rings, Cracks in the housing, bolts workin loose, or the thing just downright self drstucting, I'll NEVER own another.... But, it WAS nice to be selectable (sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't)! :D

mbryson said:
I've had two and thought they were a pretty impressive product (LOVED the selectability). I'd buy again.

I've heard all the horror stories and never had any trouble with my solenoids, switches, lines, etc. I had the compressor and electrical junk in the passenger compartment of a Cherokee. That could have something to do with the reliability, but maybe not? The only thing that did happen (twice) on my D30 was the carrier split apart due to a bent housing. I repaired the ARB (thanks again Kurt) and set it up in my new housing and ran it after that....

Tech Tim

BCGPER said:
Never once had a line or switch fail.. However, I couldn't keep the locker it'self from busting. Between U Rings, O Rings, Cracks in the housing, bolts workin loose, or the thing just downright self drstucting, I'll NEVER own another.... :D

What model did you have?

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
I like the selectability of mine but I can't seem to keep the breather clean so the air keeps coming up the solenoid and with it comes my 90W oil. It kinda sucks in that aspect but I just have to blow the breather out and it works again, for a while..

Andrew

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
PierCed_3 said:
I like the selectability of mine but I can't seem to keep the breather clean so the air keeps coming up the solenoid and with it comes my 90W oil. It kinda sucks in that aspect but I just have to blow the breather out and it works again, for a while.. Andrew

What about extending your breather up to the frame (assuming yours is axle mounted) and filtering it there?

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
It is up to the inner fender of the rear wheelwell and I assume it is from all the dirt that get's kicked up from the road. Could I put it into the rear tub by drilling a hole? I wouldn't want to get asphixiated(sp) from the 90W fumes though. What are your thoughts on this?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
PierCed_3 said:
...Could I put it into the rear tub by drilling a hole? I wouldn't want to get asphixiated(sp) from the 90W fumes though. What are your thoughts on this?

Hmmm, good question. I'm not sure how much breathing they really do but I don't think I would want it inside the cab. I ran mine all the way to the engine compartment (transfar, axles, etc), and then into the snorkel, so theoretcially they should be water tight up to there. I have seen several people use those little K&N looking filters (cheap Euro car style ones)... run everything up to those on the firewall.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
PierCed_3 said:
It is up to the inner fender of the rear wheelwell and I assume it is from all the dirt that get's kicked up from the road. Could I put it into the rear tub by drilling a hole? I wouldn't want to get asphixiated(sp) from the 90W fumes though. What are your thoughts on this?

I vented mine FROM the spare tire tub out the gas filler area. I think you could easily vent it near the gas filler area and be fine.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
That would be a good place for it. I will check it out when I get home tonight. I just hate the fact that I get 90W oil on the inside of my hood (from my solenoid) other than that I love my ARB and my OBA!

:D

Happy Joe

Been running the first ARB for more than 10 years ... have to cut about 1/2 inch of hose off at the compressor about every 3 years or so. Had to replace the relay when it got full of water and froze (the river was kinda high but I didn't realise how high untill the headlights went under and it got real dark).
Otherwise it has been great. (I've got 2 more for the next set of axels).
Enjoy!

Tech Tim

PierCed_3 said:
I like the selectability of mine but I can't seem to keep the breather clean so the air keeps coming up the solenoid and with it comes my 90W oil. It kinda sucks in that aspect but I just have to blow the breather out and it works again, for a while.. Andrew

Hit your local auto parts store and pick up one of those cheapo clear plastic air filters. They are about a buck and work real well.