ATF or Power Steering fluid?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I've got all my hoses hooked up for my power steering, but I don't know what fluid to fill the system with. I have a Saginaw power steering pump that would normally be filled with power steering fluid, and a Toyota power steering box that would normally be filled with ATF. Which fluid should I use? I'm pretty sure power steering fluid would be safe in the Toyota box, but I'd rather use ATF if I can. I already use ATF in my tranny, and if I can carry one type of fluid to fill two things that makes it easier. ATF is also easier to find at gas stations and race support vehicles. So, will ATF ruin my Saginaw pump, or can I use it? Any problem with using power steering fluid in the Toyota box?

Caleb

use ATF, I know there are a ton of guys that use ATF and usually its just fine in power steering pumps (especially saginaw pumps). Some aftermarket power steering pumps say its best not use ATF (like mine, but I used it anyways) but I see no problem with it, its all just hydro fluid anyways. I did it for the same reason you want to, one fluid type for both the tranny and steering.

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
Supergper said:
use ATF, I know there are a ton of guys that use ATF and usually its just fine in power steering pumps (especially saginaw pumps). Some aftermarket power steering pumps say its best not use ATF (like mine, but I used it anyways) but I see no problem with it, its all just hydro fluid anyways. I did it for the same reason you want to, one fluid type for both the tranny and steering.

Back in the day, I was told by an old school mechanic to always use ATF because ATF has some kind of detergent in it that keeps the hoses from going brittle and cleans the whole system of that mysterious sludge that always forms. He was old, I was young, therefore he knew more than me and I have never deviated from his words and my sag. pump has never failed. $.02 :cool: KENNETH !!

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
I used power steering fluid once and I was made fun of for spending the money on it so I stopped using it. Now I use ATF. I was in the same shoes as Kenneth, I was young, he was old, so I have never used power steering fluid since.

Andrew

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
PS fluid tends to foam a little less than ATF.... With that being said, all I run is ATF cause I'm a tight buggar. And yes, the Toy steering has no problem with it, that's all it's ever seen.

PierCed_3 said:
I used power steering fluid once and I was made fun of for spending the money on it so I stopped using it. Now I use ATF. I was in the same shoes as Kenneth, I was young, he was old, so I have never used power steering fluid since.

Andrew

Broncoman

ATF has an additive that helps keep the seals in a an auto. trans. soft but it also swells the seals a bit ... so you can use atf in power steering but after you do you have to use it from then on because of the way the seals seat after they have swollen ... according to a training class from a large auto parts supplier that I worked for ...

SeanBoy

1980 CJ-5 \ 151 cu
Just make sure you don't use ATF in the brake system. My brother in-law borrowed my jeep and filled the Brake master with ATF, now I just spent over $600 just in parts to fix his little mistake.

SeanBoy

Broncoman

SeanBoy said:
Just make sure you don't use ATF in the brake system. My brother in-law borrowed my jeep and filled the Brake master with ATF, now I just spent over $600 just in parts to fix his little mistake.

SeanBoy

yep you have to replace any thing with rubber parts $$$$$$

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Well, the power steering box was already run with ATF, so sounds like I need to keep that going. I'll use ATF. Thanks, all.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
RockMonkey said:
Well, the power steering box was already run with ATF, so sounds like I need to keep that going. I'll use ATF. Thanks, all.

I run Hydraulic fluid in mine. (Saginaw pump) What I noticed is that the regular hydro fluid worked smoother and didn't foam and cause any whine. When I added atf to it I got all sorts of whining. That is my observation so far.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Herzog said:
I run Hydraulic fluid in mine. (Saginaw pump) What I noticed is that the regular hydro fluid worked smoother and didn't foam and cause any whine. When I added atf to it I got all sorts of whining. That is my observation so far.
Oh great... NOW you tell me. I just filled it an hour ago. :) I'll see how the ATF works. If I need to change it, I'll try something else. I wish I had more time to work on this thing. I haven't had a day to work on it yet this MONTH! I can only manage a couple hours here and there. It's coming together, slowly.

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
When I put the AGR gear and pump on they specified synthetic PS fluid. I have had no issues with it and it seems to be very similar to aircraft hydraulic oil. Never any foaming or problems.
Todd

Turbobob

Semper Fi
Todd Adams said:
When I put the AGR gear and pump on they specified synthetic PS fluid. I have had no issues with it and it seems to be very similar to aircraft hydraulic oil. Never any foaming or problems.
Todd
I was going to post the same thing. Right in the AGR instructions they say that if you send in any of their parts for warranty, all fluids must be clear, if there is any hint of red, warranty void! Maybe the know something we don't about the use of ATF? Just a thought. ;)

Caleb

Turbobob said:
I was going to post the same thing. Right in the AGR instructions they say that if you send in any of their parts for warranty, all fluids must be clear, if there is any hint of red, warranty void! Maybe the know something we don't about the use of ATF? Just a thought. ;)

or maybe its just their specific parts. Like I said, I ahve seen aftermarket ones saying do not use ATF but I ahve heard of too many people successfully using ATF to say there may be a problem with it, also you can get different colored ATF, the red is just a dye.

RockPaws

It's All About Rocks!
Which fluid normally depends on what type of seals are used. I use Red Line synthetic Power steering fluid. I've used it for a number of years in my customers and my vehicles with no problems. For added protection, I installed a inline filter in the return line. The filter is made by Magnefine. It contains a filter and magnet with a 3/8" inlet and outlet.
The Parts Connection in Sandy, UT carries these items.