Auto parts stores

mr_blove

ask me if I care
I have a question, I heard that Autozone and Checker parts aren't that great, I personaly havent had any problems but I need a new steering box and don't want to spend a lot of money on junk I was told NAPA, Bradshaw, and Parts Connection/Parts Plus are good. What is everybodys experiance with different auto parts stores????:confused:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I've dealt with all of them, but we use bradshaw(now carquest) checker and napa. I've replaced more auto zone electronics then any other place, but I just deal with who I know will help me the best, in my case carquest.

sbr

only problem is you pay 70% more at carquest and they are really bad on warranty and returns. I personally like napa for electronic stuff.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
its most likely just me but i have never had good experience with rebuilt steering boxes from any of them.i like to get new factory boxes and they never seem to come cheap.

now onto which parts store is better .i find that most have the same crap nehind the shelves.it all comes down to price amd knowing a quality part when you see it.i try to go to NAPA for most of my things but for the things that don't matter like plugs,rotor,cap,battery cable,etc etc ....i will go to anywhere as long as the have a good price on it.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Most the time the steering parts have a lifetime warranty at checker/autozone. some of the parts are even the same brand. It all comes down to is the part the right one? I've had rebuilt/remanufactured water pumps missing holes or just not right so check it out with the old part.

I know when I was looking for a pump for my old truck autozone was cheaper than checker and both were $100 less than Napa...

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
WJ ZUK said:
My carquest stuff is cheaper then autozone, so maybe they just saw ya comin:rofl:
I tried to buy a belt at Carquest once. They wanted over 40 bucks. :eek: I went to Autozone and got it for 9. :rolleyes:

lars3159

I drive 17 miles past carquest to get to NAPA. Good quality and prices.
Unlike at Autozone you don't have to know if the vehicle originally had air conditioning in order for the help to get the correct wiper blades.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
sbr said:
only problem is you pay 70% more at carquest and they are really bad on warranty and returns. I personally like napa for electronic stuff.

DEALER only IMHO for electrical/electronic stuff (at least engine management stuff). I've spent enough on my XJ with a bad 'new' Autozone CPS to buy 5 or 6 dealer items (not the first time I've had issues with Autozone/Checker electrical/electronic items). Never again.

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
I usually base my judgement on how hard the part will be to change again. If it's easy to get to then I'll put an checker or autozone part on it with a lifetime warranty and save some $.

If it's a b*tch of a part to change then I spend the extra $ go the napa route.

It ususally comes down to you pay for what you get.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
mr_blove said:
I have a question, I heard that Autozone and Checker parts aren't that great, I personaly havent had any problems but I need a new steering box and don't want to spend a lot of money on junk I was told NAPA, Bradshaw, and Parts Connection/Parts Plus are good. What is everybodys experiance with different auto parts stores????:confused:
I've had good luck with Carquest parts. Little things I just hit my local CSK. Larger, more important things, I buy through one of my many vendors.

If it were me, I'd either buy a new power steering box or rebuild the old one myself.

Dixon

One thing I've learned to do is always have them check the new alternators to see if It works before I leave the store. Once at checker I had them check and it wasn't until the 4th alternator before we found one that worked. But checkers not the only one that has bad rebuilds bought one in moab at the napa and didn't check only to find out on the trail it was junk.
Out club has made a deal with one of the parts stores for members to get the same price as the repairs shop, which can be quite a saving. As far as the stearing box my son had a guy in slc rebuild and port for power assist on his EB for about $200 and It works great. Just rebuild it then you know what you have.