auto trans problem

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
My wife has a Sidekick 3-speed auto in her Samurai. Recently the tranny has started to stall on really steep inclines, such as Rockpile or White Knuckle. Any ideas what I should be looking for?

RockChucker

i'm no tranny expert, but doesn't that mean that it isn't pumping fluid? time for a deep pan? how is the fluid level? and that is the extent of my auto trans knowledge.

TooeleBronco

let's go wheelin
Have you had this problem before with the same vehicle? I have been told by some that they had to overfill the trans a little so it wouldn't suck air when you're on a steep hill.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
It did this once or twice a few years ago when we first put it in, but now the last couple times out it has got worse. The fluid is overfilled a bit. I was going to do a flush and filter, but I will also look at the pump. Anyone know how I can check it?

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Wow someone else is on here at 7am! So i dont know how you could check the pump but you can pull the cover on the torque converter to see if it has fluid, but i would services the filter and fluid first and see what happens only because it proably needs it anyway. I dont know the procedure for your tranny but im sure google or youtube can show you