Automatic Locking Hubs

4thefamily

I am thinking about changing my manual locking hubs to automatic ones on my Truck. Is this a good idea or not? How much will it cost and good place to get it done? Which brand is the best?

I remember some people having problems with the auto hubs years ago.. I am sick of locking and unlocking the damn things.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
What year, make, etc of truck?

I personally really like the idea of knowing that when i put it in 4WD and turn in the hubs that my front tires will turn, no vaccum lines, no switches, etc to go bad and leave me stranded. :D

I had a friend with a mid 80's blazer spend half a day in moab fighting one hub in and one hub out. This combo and no locker means no 4WD. :(

4thefamily

Jinx said:
What year, make, etc of truck?

It is a 95 Ford PSD

I had a friend with a mid 80's blazer spend half a day in moab fighting one hub in and one hub out. This combo and no locker means no 4WD. :(

Yes, these are the horror stories that I have heard about.

Wade O

My brother has a mid-90's Ford PSD and hated his automatic hubs. After his second one crapped out he put in some Warn manual hubs.

Wade

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
auto hubs are ALWAYS BAD. GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS AND MANUAL LOCK!!!

its either manual lock or dish out 600$ for a set of autos and replace them after a year!!

4thefamily

Lazy ASS

spencurai said:
auto hubs are ALWAYS BAD. GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS AND MANUAL LOCK!!!

its either manual lock or dish out 600$ for a set of autos and replace them after a year!!

I know!!! I am a true american lazy ass. Thanks for the info guys I guess I will stick with the manuals...

cheapzuk

I gotta say liked my auto hubs before they got solen. They were nice because when you started sliding around you could just reach down and pull the lever. I woulnd't recomend them for use off-road because they can't put up with the abuse, but for a daily driver they would be great.

BryansToy

Toy Beater
cheapzuk said:
They were nice because when you started sliding around you could just reach down and pull the lever.

Yeah That is when Auto hubs are nice. Cheaksuk was saved many a time by doing that. Scared the crap out of me!!

My father had a autos and after doing the White Rim and few times they didn't work like they where suppose too.

I am a lazy ass too So I understand the want of not changing them everytime. If only there was a good Auto Hub

Just my Two Cents

rjmax

The other Paco
I had a set of autos on my 1996 F250 and they crapped out on me. I pulled them and put a set of Warn Premiums on. All I have heard is nightmares about Automatic Hubs.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
3/4 of the time I needed 4 wheel drive I didn't get it due to the Auto hubs. I have manual now and I would rather get out and turn em than not have 4 wheel.