Jeep AW4 Transmission Cooler?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Either one of those will do. I believe the stock AW4 cooler is about 5" x 11". I can verify this weekend.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I'm keeping my air conditioning. Will mounting it in front of the AC condenser restrict the air flow too much? It would suck to have a nice cool transmission and a warped head. :sick:

STAG

On my grind
Either one of those will do. I believe the stock AW4 cooler is about 5" x 11". I can verify this weekend.

:confused: The stock trans cooler on XJ's are inside the radiatior...?...

---------------------------------------------------------------

This is the one I use.. I don't have a guage but it seems to work great... and doesn't block airflow too much.. (engine doesn't overheat w/ it mounted in front of my radiator) ~$30 for the kit @ Autozone...

600-820500.jpg

Last edited:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Do you still have functioning AC? Did you mount it in front of the mechanical fan, or the electric fan?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
:confused: The stock trans cooler on XJ's are inside the radiatior...?...

If your XJ came with a factory "HD towing package" then it had an auxiliary cooler as well as the radiator cooler. My XJ was a manual from the factory, so I was surprised to find that my radiator appears to be set up for the transmission cooler. :confused: I guess it's one size fits all. :rolleyes:

STAG

On my grind
Yeah everything was still hooked up (That jeep is now stripped and being parted out). Also, I could definately tell it was working because I went for a drive, and put my hand on the transmission-out line (the hot line, before the trans cooler) and it was much hotter than the line feeding the cooled fluid back to the trans (after the trans cooler)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If your XJ came with a factory "HD towing package" then it had an auxiliary cooler as well as the radiator cooler. My XJ was a manual from the factory, so I was surprised to find that my radiator appears to be set up for the transmission cooler. :confused: I guess it's one size fits all. :rolleyes:

Mine came with only with an external... no hookups inside my stock radiator. Could depend on the year I suppose. Mine was an '89.

STAG

On my grind

:confused: as far as I knew it had the towing package because it had the D44 rear end and the "Comfort/power" trans shift point switch... but I only had the in-radiator cooler... no aux... Edit* mine was an '87 too...

Brett

Meat-Hippy
:confused: as far as I knew it had the towing package because it had the D44 rear end and the "Comfort/power" trans shift point switch... but I only had the in-radiator cooler... no aux... Edit* mine was an '87 too...

Pretty sure the comfort/power switch didn't have to do with it having or not having the towing package. Just an option that was later deleted in the HO models.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
To add more confusion....mine's an '89 as well, but it run's into the radiator then out to the trans cooler in front of the condensor! :eek:

Oh how strange... I know that my radiator does not have extra ports for the transmission lines, that's for sure. Time to search around for this odd-ball dilemma.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
The entire cooling system changed over at some point too. 90 or 91, I think. Mine's a 92, and has the newer system.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
So, they just threw in whatever they had laying around?

Maybe whatever was on blue light special?

I know mine was a custom order. My dad spec'd it and ordered it from the factory in '92. We waited like a month to get it. That may account for some non-standardness on it.