Axle Swap on 91 Toyota 4 runner

samitoy

Okay guys, I have a 91 4 runner that I am going to make Trail, Rock worthy. I have 2 thoughts:

1. go to a straight axle set up with D44 F and D60 R

2. stay with the IFS and buy a 6" lift

The 4 runner has IFS F and Coil in the R.

I am stering towords the D44 D60 swap.

Tell me your thoughts and suggestions Please

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
If you're serious about wheelin' the truck, the IFS has gotta go. The 44/60 combo is a good one. I think I would want to leave the coils in the rear, and run leafs or links (if money's not a problem) up front. Do your SAS on the front first, because you never know exactly what ride height you're going to end up with. Then, lift your rear to the matching height. What size of tires do you see yourself running in the future?

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
If you decide to run leafs in the front, find a set of rear toy PU leafs. They are a good spring, and will give you enough height for the 37s.

DToy

This also depends on what you are going to do with your 'Runner. Is it still going to see street use? Daily Driver or play toy? If you're going to need to drive it alot on the road the cheaper/easier route would be to swap a toyota solid axle onto the front. It will hold up fine with 35's, and with a few simple upgrades like upgraded axle shafts and Longfields you should be able to run 37's fine too. The rear axle should be fine for up to 37's also. I have been running 37's on my '88 with toyota axles and I have only broken one stock birfield so far. I upgraded to longfields, but I still have stock axle shafts and they have been fine...so far.

If you're simply building a trail rig and money isn't an option then go with the D44/60 combo. Depends on how much $$$ you have to spend.

samitoy

I am after alot of flex, are the Toyota Rear springs going to give me that???

You know I actiually thought about doing the Toyota Axle, But figured if i'm going to cut all the IFS stuff off of the front and have to leaf the rear I might as well go with some bigger axles. I would like to drive it on the road but not as a DD. I would like to be able to drive it to the trial or location that i'm going to crawl it. How much extra $$ do you think I would be looking at in comparison to the toyota swap???

DToy

samitoy said:
I am after alot of flex, are the Toyota Rear springs going to give me that???

You know I actiually thought about doing the Toyota Axle, But figured if i'm going to cut all the IFS stuff off of the front and have to leaf the rear I might as well go with some bigger axles. I would like to drive it on the road but not as a DD. I would like to be able to drive it to the trial or location that i'm going to crawl it. How much extra $$ do you think I would be looking at in comparison to the toyota swap???

Not exactly sure what the difference in cost would be. You could cut off the coil link brackets and weld some perches on your rear axle and put some leafs on the back to replace the coils. There are several solid-axle-swap kits on the market that are made to fit the toyota front axle. Are you thinking of going full-width on your D44/60 combo? If so, the front spring mounts will probably need to be fabbed up rather than buying a kit. If you have the tools and ability then it might not be a bad idea. To me it is simpler/easier/ and probably cheaper to go with Toyota axles unless you want full-width, especially if you're not going any bigger than 37" tires. There are some legality issues with going full-width, but in Hurricane you probably wouldn't get hassled too much.