Axles or Tires?

ramp_1000

Tree Nazi
Opinion question; Should I keep my set of 35" Krawlers, or trade them for a Locked 9", or an Open 14 bolt. Both axles would be a complete bolt in to my YJ, narrowed and all. Both would have my choice of ratios. I was planning on upgrading my axle anyway. Do I go for reputation, weight, and ground clearance, or do I go for biggest, baddest, and damn near indestructible? I'm sure there would be bragging rights for being able to destroy a 14 bolt underneath a Jeep.

Caleb

ramp_1000 said:
Opinion question; Should I keep my set of 35" Krawlers, or trade them for a Locked 9", or an Open 14 bolt. Both axles would be a complete bolt in to my YJ, narrowed and all. Both would have my choice of ratios. I was planning on upgrading my axle anyway. Do I go for reputation, weight, and ground clearance, or do I go for biggest, baddest, and damn near indestructible? I'm sure there would be bragging rights for being able to destroy a 14 bolt underneath a Jeep.

what happened to your 60s that were on the way? I would trade the tires and just cruise on your rims till your 60s show up and then sell them and buy an awesome bumper.

BTW, did you ever get your super charger installed? I want to see some pics of YOUR setup...

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Wow, How'd you end up with a set of Krawlers? Must be nice....I worked all five UROC events last year, including tech, and I still haven't seen any tires as promised. Even then, they're telling me I won't be getting any Krawlers....

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think you should get a set of 31" Krawlers and put them on the 14 bolt. That would be hella cool..............maybe weld a caster into the diff cover or something.

ramp_1000

Tree Nazi
The 60's fell through. My dad has an 88 F-350 but he is selling it to a friend who wants the 460. Turns out the rear was a 10.5, not a 60 like he thought. Likewise, the Supercharger is in his garage, in California, but I won't be too far from home when I'm in Barstow next week. As for the Krawlers, John, there is a guy here that bought them from a "Competitor" after only one event. $650 for a set of Krawlers? Worth bouncing a check for. There is also another person here in town that has a set that he is selling for about $800. Let me know if you want them, and I'm sure I can introduce you. So do I keep the Krawlers, or get a built axle for only $650? I don't need Krawlers, I don't compete. I just need decent all around tires, like Boggers. :D

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
ramp_1000 said:
So do I keep the Krawlers, or get a built axle for only $650? I don't need Krawlers, I don't compete. I just need decent all around tires, like Boggers. :D

A: You can build the 9" with disk brakes, and whatever locker you want short of an ARB for under $650. I bet if you're handy and/or patient you could set it up with 35 spline shafts, nodular 3rd, spool, and disks for under 650.

B: You can build a 14 bolt and narrow and weld it for less than 650. Much less. 14 bolts are like 50 bucks and I'm sure with your 'connections' you could narrow it and set it up for your YJ for maybe a couple hundred. In fact, I'll set up a 14 bolt for you--complete with a locker---for a set of 37" krawlers or creepy crawlers which I'm sure you could get easily through your affiliations with UROC and the Rock Stars.

C: Krawlers are a much better all around tire than a bogger. Unless you spend time back east, in the PNW, or in the gumbo with the rednecks, Boggers are not that special.

Cody

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
boggers!

ba-dump bump ching!

He'll be here all night folks--try the duck.

and be sure to tip your waitress.

Cody

Batman

ramp_1000 said:
The 60's fell through. My dad has an 88 F-350 but he is selling it to a friend who wants the 460. Turns out the rear was a 10.5, not a 60 like he thought. Likewise, the Supercharger is in his garage, in California, but I won't be too far from home when I'm in Barstow next week. As for the Krawlers, John, there is a guy here that bought them from a "Competitor" after only one event. $650 for a set of Krawlers? Worth bouncing a check for. There is also another person here in town that has a set that he is selling for about $800. Let me know if you want them, and I'm sure I can introduce you. So do I keep the Krawlers, or get a built axle for only $650? I don't need Krawlers, I don't compete. I just need decent all around tires, like Boggers. :D
So someone else bought them for $650, and you're going to write him a bad check for $650 to get them? What's in it for him, especially since your check is no good? Or is this another one of those, "if I could sell my liver on ebay" kinda things? :rolleyes:

ramp_1000

Tree Nazi
Boggers and bouncing a check were both an attempt at levity, and it seems like only Mr. Rocksville picked up on it. Let me get this straight, you're saying I should keep my tires, and just drop a couple hundred on a 14 Bolt? I have actually be considering welding a caster to the diff cover. It would compliment the Disco Ball and the Truck Nuts swinging from the bumper. Oh yeah, the reason I like Boggers? They are so damn loud. They give me an excuse to have a better stereo. :redneck: