Bank recommendations

airmanwilliams

Looking for bank recommendations. I am completely fed up with USBANK and need to switch. Tired of the monthly fees in our accounts being close to $10 every month in one account and draining it. Recently we also deposited a check from someone and it was a bad check and money was taken back out and we were additionally charge a $20 fee for it. Upon calling our bank about it they said they had no info on the check and that the fee was from the other bank but when we asked the person about it that gave us the check they said their bank had no info on it and that there was enough in their account to cover the check.
I am so sick of banks right now and just feel like buying a nice safe and keeping all of my money myself.

airmanwilliams

The thing that really ticks me off is that neither our bank or the bank that the people we got the check from has any answer as to why this check didnt go through and they also told us that the people got charged twice as much as us for the check in their fee. So if the people got charged twice as much as us why did they charge us? Why cant they reverse this fee for us? We get screwed out of $20 for passing a check that they say was bad but dont have an explanation as to why it was bad.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
I have heard great things about America First as well. Currently with Wells Fargo and have no complaints. I also have accounts at CCU, but their website is unusable to manage my accounts...so they just sit there.

If you don't need a local branch, try checking accounts online from places like eTrade.

Houndoc

I have accounts (between business and personal) at Wells Fargo, Chase and University Credit Union.

No recent complaints with any of them.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Another vote for America First. I've been with them for over ten years and have nothing but good to say about them.

EDIT: I should mention I had Wells Fargo before the switch to AF. Never again I was not a fan of Wells at all.

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
We ran all our accounts through wells fargo for a long time. I got really tired if not being able to read all their signs as they are in spanish. I was often the only white person in the bank. They want all kinds of crazy fees. Yuck

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
General checking I go through Zions, they've been good and I like my local branch. I also have a few savings accounts with various credit unions.

dutchman

KI7KSV
I'll throw in a vote for Mountain America Credit Union, been happy with them for the last few years. I've got America First for my auto loan and have been happy with them too.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I made the switch 5 years ago from Wells to America First and couldn't be happier, and my wife has been with them for 9 years or so. But generally speaking credit unions are better than banks with fees and such, not to mention any NCUA ATM is free to use anywhere you go. And when in doubt ask for CASH or PayPal, personal checks are bad news.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I guess I'm the exception I had a horrible time with America First, could just be the branch I dealt with. I do have my mortgage through them.

Avoid Heritage West formerly known as Utah Central Credit Union ever since the switch I started getting random fees like my new favorite that showed up "maintenance fee" wtf is that.

I have switched over to Security Service Credit Union very good to me so far no complainants

D

Deleted member 12904

other vote for any credit union. One a side note stop taking checks. Its because of this kind of hassle everyone else in the world everyone else has abandoned the idea of paper IOU's.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I've been with Granite CU literally since I was born. :) No complaints. My father-in-law uses Wells Fargo, and is constantly getting hit with fees and other hassles...I don't know why he doesn't drop them.