Bart's 99 TJ

I'd prefer this thread stay focused on the TJ and not my vehicular longevity. Picked up this Chili Pepper red 99 TJ up because it fit my needs sooooo much better than my old YJ.

It has:
Auto
A/C
Cruise
SYE
44 rear
Super 30 in the front
ARBs front and rear
4.5" of lift
Tuffy Console
Almost new 35 x 15 MTZs
Full size spare, and the list goes on and on.
I've already put my Warn front bumper on and the Warn 9000i winch I had in the garage. The rear Warn bumper/tire carrier will go on before EJS.

As with any rig I can't be satisfied until I make it mine. I picked up a used GenRight tank and have started planning the wheelbase stretch. I ordered the rear stretch corners from GenRight today and have a set of their rear control arms coming before EJS. After that it will get a Tera belly up and front long arm suspension. It will also get some good shocks. The wheelbase should be right around 100" when all is said and done.

Those are really the only mods I have planned for this rig. I want to be able to drive 80 on the freeway, wheel it in Moab, haul my clubs to the golf course, and maybe do some exploration.

Attachments

• 99TJ.jpg
    99TJ.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
I don't know...this is probably the longest time Bart has had the same rig for a while. He could be changing things up by keeping this one. But I guess you could be right too LT.

LT.

Bart (aka the Rock God) has some serious skills. Not just driving (I was floored by his driving abilities) but, also as a builder. I swear he has missed his calling in life. He should have opened up a fab shop / race shop. I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

LT.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Plans for the TJ took a turn last week. Decided if I was going to the trouble of swapping in a new front axle, I'd drop in a full width 60 instead of a narrowed 44. This brings a whole new set of problems because this will always remain a street legal rig.

I will be stretching the wheelbase (105 to 108ish) and selling parts of the GenRight stretch kit. The tub will be shortened to an extended cab length and the rear will be different from anything I've ever seen. I'll keep that part quiet until I finalize plans.

I keep thinking this will be the last TJ I'll build so I want to make it unique and extremely capable. Stay tuned. I think it will go under the knife this winter.

love the rig!

My advice....DONT DO IT. I still wish mine was at 100" on 35s.

keep the faith bart

GOAT

Back from the beyond
is this because you would still have something to wheel in? haha looking forward to the build bart.

Ha ha, there's a little bit of truth to that.

I enjoyed the challenge of wheeling hardcore trails on small tires. Once you get to a certain level of build (40s+), local trails wont cut it and you have to travel >200 miles to get your rocks off, and that gets old fast.

Ideally, a 101-103 WB LCG ful bodied rig on 37s would be perfect, but with all the gear required to run 37s you might as well run 40s. It's cyclical.

TJs with a slight stretch are just cool.

Bart

A lot of truth to all of this. Been through the cycle a few times. You wouldn't think you'd get bored driving a killer buggy, but it makes trails like the Snakes like a drive on a gravel road, even Wayne's World.

On the upcoming build I will be running 37s, but like Goat said, the TJ could easily be running 40s. I just want it more streetable.

Ha ha, there's a little bit of truth to that.

I enjoyed the challenge of wheeling hardcore trails on small tires. Once you get to a certain level of build (40s+), local trails wont cut it and you have to travel >200 miles to get your rocks off, and that gets old fast.

Ideally, a 101-103 WB LCG ful bodied rig on 37s would be perfect, but with all the gear required to run 37s you might as well run 40s. It's cyclical.

TJs with a slight stretch are just cool.

LT.

Such a big part of this sport is building rigs. Driving is a benefit but, the real challenge is in building a rig that supports your driving style and your goals. Anyone can just drive a stock rig, heck, anyone can put on a suspension lift. But, to truly make it your own it is all about the custom touches that makes the difference.

LT.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
love the rig!

My advice....DONT DO IT. I still wish mine was at 100" on 35s.

keep the faith bart

I saw pictures of my Rubicon back in 05, when it was on 35's. I had to stare for a bit. I used to enjoy driving it around town, now I hate it. Although I do have a lot of fun on the more difficult trails than I use to... But it's no longer a comfortable daily driver and I miss that :(

Bart

My build will be very similar to my LTJ project a couple years ago. I loved that rig and it was very road friendly. Even after I built the LTJ there were a couple of things I wished I'd done differently and this will have those changes.

I think 37s are about as big as I want for a daily driver. I was going to swap the front axle anyway so I figured a narrowed 60 would be better than the high pinion 44 I was going to use.

Plan always was to have a very street friendly rig, but more capable off road and this will fit that need.

I know you've all heard it before, but this really is my last build and I've been contemplating this design for about 5 years. Only thing that won't get done in this phase is the V8 and auto overdrive tranny.

Bart

It took twice as long as I thought but I finally got the front 60 in. After trying to sell my beadlocks I couldn't get enough for them so I decided to convert the axle to 5 on 5.5, which took more work. I'll end up running the rear 44 for now, at least through EJS, but I'm stoked that the front 60 is in. I've got a few odds and ends to wrap up and I'll be doing some ride height adjustment but here's what I have so far.
044.jpg037.jpg023.jpg

Bart

Sitting a bit low in the tail and a bit high in the front right now. After I get exhaust, front driveline and a couple of other little odds and ends I'll take it out for a shake down run before leaving for EJS a week from Friday.045s.jpg

Bart

I bought a wrecked one that will work great for my extended cab project. : ) That will prolly happen next winter unless I love it too much like it is. I still need to put the 60 in the rear first, then decide.