Becoming a minimalist

sixstringsteve

Rick, you're like Jimmy diresta. You build the coolest projects out of the amazing parts you have. I hope you never become a minimalist, cuz I love watching your projects.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

We're moving into the Airstream next week. I've got a feeling I'm going to have to do one more big purge of all my stuff that won't fit in the Airstream.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
There was a time when all of my camping gear fit into a small action packer and a backpack. I'd throw it in the Rot Box, point at a random spot on a map and drive there. More time and less worries---hoping to get back to that.

I think I'm finally 'back to that'. Over UEA weekend my kids and I tossed a few things into the Subaru and camped out near Moab for a couple of days. We played on the big sand hill outside of town, climbed on the rocks, chased lizards and did a few short hikes.. can't hike too far with a three year old haha. It was perfect. Not a care in the world. Simple.

Much less worries lately... still wishing I had more time though! :p

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
We have a set selves in our garage that takes up an entire wall. The other day as I was pulling in I looked at the stuff on the shelf, and realized that almost all of it was stuff we haven't even touched in 3 years (since we moved in). There was a couple things like coolers and camping stuff that gets used, but the rest was junk. I moved the camping stuff to a different spot, threw everything away, and removed the shelves altogether. The garage feels huge now.

Just today I started on the endless abyss we call a basement. I am currently the storage unit for my mother, and can't do a whole lot about that, but we also have our own room full of crap. I found a lot of stuff that I couldn't care less to own, and found multiple boxes on shelves that were basically empty and storing small things like a computer cable. Total waste of space and energy. It's all gone.

I realized that we have enough blankets and pillows to supply the entire refugee polpulation. Literally.

I spent a few hours cleaning and tossing things. I forgot the room had carpet flooring..
It's not done, but huge progress.

We've talked in this thread about families, and how that requires us to keep stuff around... I was grumpy a few weeks back, and got super tired off my kids rooms being a mess. I took EVERYTHING out of their rooms. I let them tell me the 3 toys they wanted most and they got to keep them. I then told them they could ask for any toy at anytime and they could have it back, but then it had to be returned to me afterwards. I would keep all the toys they played with separate for safe keeping. After a few months I plan to donate all the toys that have not been played with. So far there has only been 1 toy asked for. The rest have been completely forgotten. The kids rooms have remained clean. There is less fighting. It's been awesome.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I then told them they could ask for any toy at anytime and they could have it back, but then it had to be returned to me afterwards. I would keep all the toys they played with separate for safe keeping. After a few months I plan to donate all the toys that have not been played with.

This is a fantastic idea.

RogueJeepr

Here!
I made some small progress.
Like jeeper, I have some shelves in the garage that had some odds and ends. I kept stuff I thought we may use like swamp cooler parts but got rid of alot of junk.

Now there's room for our camping gear.
Basically I can be loaded up in minutes now. Pop the hatch throw gear in and run.

One new rule we came up with is my projects cannot invade the garage. Strictly for parking and lawn care.

The shop though is a different story. I made progress by giving away what I don't use and finishing up a few projects , making some room but then I went to my dad's and picked up my bench to organize a bit more and came home with more stuff. Sigh !!!
He gave me some stuff to sell and the story goes. One step forward and 2 back. Then do the hoky-poky, turn yourself around.

It's slow going but the desire is there.

Oh yeah. My woman wanted to clean out a closet by our front door.
We took alot of barely used coats,
(some new-ish we forgot about), jackets and purses. Donated those.
So now I got her on my side about this minimalist stuff.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mombobuggy

I Have enjoyed watching this thread for quite a while now . My wife and I have been doing away with a lot of stuff this year and it feels great. And I really enjoy having both cars in the garage instead of a bunch of stuff we might use some day.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My rule for the garage is if it's not a tool and it's under $100 I throw it away after one year unused. I've found I spend more on storage solutions than it would be to purchase the few items I really need if or when I need them. Plus I never think about needing a bigger house or garage.

My biggest issue is and has always been the amount of money I spend and that my wife spends on "stuff". When like Rogue jeeper said we throw away new items it really pissed me off. I'm now trying the buy once cry once philosophy. It has helped me determine if I really need it instead of buying a cheap value item to satiate my consumer hunger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

RogueJeepr

Here!
It's kind of a closet we dont really use and what gets put in it got forgot about but... I did have 2 brand new pairs of boots and a nice winter coat that I used for snow wheeling. The other stuff didn't fit me anymore.
Im always glad when someone else can use something I dont.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm just cheap and I hate clutter. Those two things make buying stuff, storing it and then throwing it away/or donating it so irritating to me. Giving things I know I will never use to people who I like and are happy to take them does make it easier to stomach but I rarely find anyone who wants my unwanted stuff. It usually goes to the DI or the dump.

mombobuggy

Exactly we used to be really concerned with finding new homes for our no longer wanted items but I decided it was kind of hoardy to do so since the stuff usually sat around in a box waiting to take it somewhere else. So I ordered an extra trash can from the city and now I file most of that crap in it instead.

RogueJeepr

Here!
It's not like it was brand new stuff with tags. My budget wouldn't allow that.
Im cheap too just like you.
Glockman
[emoji50] [emoji1]

Last edited:

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
This thread has been great for me. I've parted with at least half of my clothes, half my books, and transformed my garage from a cat-lady's storage unit into a zen outbuilding that I actually park in, surrounded by a set of tools distilled down to their very essence. I feel like one of those crane-out-of-the-house people meets 3rd world experimentally aggressive liposuction. Thanks for the inspiration.

sixstringsteve

Excellent! We are going through anotger purge and downsizing yet again. It's crazy how stuff keeps creeping into our lives.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
One thing I have noticed as I've gone through all my excess stuff sifting the wheat from the chaff... quality and character become much more appreciated. I tossed out a bin of newish mismatching screw drivers for a few heavy duty old ones from my grandfather, and gave away 10 cheap flannel type shirts while buying 2 new high quality ones. Even though I have less, I have more...more appreciation for the things I have, more appreciation for quality and workmanship, more connection to them (as in literally, because I know where my crap is when I need it, or because it has some sentimental meaning for me.) Two complete socket sets (one in the truck, the other in the garage) beats out two drawers full of rando sockets that have migrated into my possession over the years. Not sure if I thought seven tire irons is what did it for the ladies, but I'm willing to risk it with just one. Others here have noted the emotional stress that our 'stuff' has on our lives. My wife is probably sick of me blurting out comically exaggerated sighs of relief all the time since I started this, but I literally feel lighter without the weight of all that emotional clutter.

"AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh.............."