Benchrace: cheap, comfortable, driver, convertible

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
So, I've had a few thoughts running through my head since selling my JKU. It's a great rig but kind of not me somehow? Been building a rifle of late and you always need a goal for a project. Hopefully the rifle meets my goals but I've not compromised much on the build at all. Building anything, you need a goal and some expertise. Makes me think you could build a trail rig the same way. Spend on quality parts where needed. I could morph my Jeep into this but that's not really my intent (unless someone has an awesome idea or something?)

Best thing I like about the JKU is the semi-reasonable comfort and capability.
Things I didn't care for is bang for the buck, lots of nanny shit running the show (traction control and such are REALLY annoying), and it's a wee bit long.

Things I love about my trail Jeep. STUPID simple and capable rig (TBI 350, boring auto trans, heavy duty easily found parts). Love that it was put together by me.
Things I wish were better----COMFORT and highway drivability. Electrical needs cosmetic work

GOAL: Lets say someone wanted to start with a clean slate, wanted to run 37-40" tires, drive at reasonable comfort in all weather and be able to run Coyote Canyon. Drive it down from SLC in the morning, run the trail, grabbing a burger and driving it home. Long day. Leave about 5:00 am, home about 10-11 pm. That's a lot of seat time for anyone. Daily driver isn't available for the work week so I need to drive it to work all week. Friday I need the Jeep for a camping trip to the Uintas for four days. Has to carry camping gear/food for three folks for the four days and drive there and back. I'm totally OK with a soft top Jeep if that's a question.

i want to use the above observations about my Jeeps to build the ultimate Jeep for me

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Running Coyote and being a DD at the same time is combination of two very different vehicles. IMO the biggest factor here will be wheelbase... longer means more stable on the highway, but not trail friendly.

How about a stretched TJ with a LJ wheelbase (like Bart's old stretched TJ)? Around 104" which is pretty decent, IMO. You would gain coil springs all the way around and you could run long arms which would ride decent on the road and work well offroad.

Run a 5.3, 4L60e and your choice of t-case... decent power, good OD ratio and should pull down 1/2 decent mileage. Run hydro assist, H2 wheels and a rear 14 Bolt, front Dana 60. Highline the front fenders, build the rear 'bed' sides and wheelwells to fit your big 38-40" tires. You could build a halfcab with either a shortened hardtop or custom softtop, but full hard doors for commuting... 1/2 doors for wheelin.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I like it. Kind of a "pro-touring" (stealing a Hot Rod term) wheeler/driver. There will need to be some compromises but they will be carefully and consciously considered

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
If I ever build another Jeep, it'll be a slightly stretched LJ, just to eliminate the rear overhang. I've missed mine since the day I sold it.

Caleb

Here you go. Stretched TJ or LJ with a nice modern V8, coilovers, atlas t-case, Tera 60 axles, some nice comfy seats, has to have heat AND A/C.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Does it have to be a Jeep? A big body Bronco hits most of your high points, and wouldn't need much modding to reach the rest.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Bronco doesn't fit the "convertible" part very well. (at least the full size, which is what I assume you mean by "big body") A full size is going to be tricky on Coyote Canyon.

Brimley's TJ fits almost everything but the "cheap" part. Actually, I don't know that all your points are possible, you'll have to give up something somewhere. ;) Also, a TJ isn't going to carry camping gear for three very easily either. (which is why I have my trail trailer for mine)

I guess I'll second the LJ vote. DAA's will fit everything you ask for, but again will have a hard time with Coyote.

Kevin B.

Pretty sure at least the second gen had a pop top? I could look it up but it's too early for that.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Pretty sure at least the second gen had a pop top? I could look it up but it's too early for that.

I think it was just the rear part, not over the driver/passenger seat. Kinda like a first-gen 4runner.

Speaking of that...what about a 4runner? You'd have to put in a real drivetrain, but that's probably true for just about any vehicle. :p

Kevin B.

He said comfy tho. I love my 4Runner, but "spacious interior" and "leg room" aren't exactly the first things to come to mind. :D

Pike2350

I think the convertible part limits you to Jeeps (maybe that's all you want?) without going quite a bit older in age....and then you start sacrificing comfort and likely the reliability will be suspect without a good bit of work. I think quite a few vehicles could fit your goals without that part.

I'm not familiar with Coyote Canyon, so I don't know the difficulty. I also don't know what you consider "cheap" so this may not work.

Me personally, I think a nicely SAS'd 3rd gen 4Runner would be best. It's a little longer, but not overly long...it has comfort and reliability. Sure, with the SAS the cheap part is debatable...but something like Scotty's (Addicted Offroad) 2000 4Runner would be ideal. You do lose the convertible part. However, I've always wanted to through in a rag top sunroof into my Rodeo, and think that would be sweet in a 4Runner as well....which would be close.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I don't know that any of these full-body rigs being mentioned (including what I said) would fit the "Coyote Canyon" criteria. If he would have said Pritchett Canyon instead, it would change the availability of starter cars a LOT.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I think I saw somewhere that John Williams/ Impulse had a 2 Dr JK body and frame for sale for pretty cheap. Buy that, and build your rig the same way you did your current Jeep, only this time you will have a wider (more comfy) body to start with that will more easily accept 40" tires. Stretch the wheelbase and add your drive train.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
An old FSJ with fuel injection added.

Like a grand wagoneer or cherokee chief. I have always wanted to build one of those.

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
THE JKU YOU SOLD BUT WITH BIGGER PARTS!!!

:p

I think I saw somewhere that John Williams/ Impulse had a 2 Dr JK body and frame for sale for pretty cheap. Buy that, and build your rig the same way you did your current Jeep, only this time you will have a wider (more comfy) body to start with that will more easily accept 40" tires. Stretch the wheelbase and add your drive train.

Seeing John's frame/tub is likely what kicked off this thread. The JK had a bunch of good things about it. Starting with something like his frame/tub and adding a 5.3L/6.0L GM, 6l80e, Atlas II and some strong axles would definitely fit the bill. I would want AC and a heater, comfy seating and such. That way I'd get rid of a bunch of electronic nanny stuff that comes with the stock Chrysler. I'd be totally fine monitoring the engine/trans with a nice set of Autometer gauges.

Ilean is right on re: the Coyote Canyon restricting me to a Jeep or early Bronco type tub?

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
what youve described is what im building my Comanche to be. that being said, if i were to start over again, id start with an LJ

John Grounds:
IMG_6066_zpsldceclpw.jpg

Bryan Croft:
015-bryan-crofts-lj-speed.jpg