Benchrace: cheap, comfortable, driver, convertible

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Dee McNenny's LJ is exactly what I'm thinking. I'd probably be half the budget of her rig. $15-20k would be my budget. Enough to buy some quality parts, but not enough to just have a shop put something together for me. :D

mbryson

Supporting Member
Here you go. Stretched TJ or LJ with a nice modern V8, coilovers, atlas t-case, Tera 60 axles, some nice comfy seats, has to have heat AND A/C.

Those are requirements. At times I think about adding that to my current "Jeep" (your old 4 cyl one :D) and just doing a few more mods to get where I need to go. Then the "simple" and "boring" are kind of out of the Jeep. My question is if I can make a YJ tub as comfortable/quiet as a JK. I'd assume it's possible but will require a bit of creativity

I think the convertible part limits you to Jeeps (maybe that's all you want?) without going quite a bit older in age....and then you start sacrificing comfort and likely the reliability will be suspect without a good bit of work. I think quite a few vehicles could fit your goals without that part.

I'm not familiar with Coyote Canyon, so I don't know the difficulty. I also don't know what you consider "cheap" so this may not work.

Me personally, I think a nicely SAS'd 3rd gen 4Runner would be best. It's a little longer, but not overly long...it has comfort and reliability. Sure, with the SAS the cheap part is debatable...but something like Scotty's (Addicted Offroad) 2000 4Runner would be ideal. You do lose the convertible part. However, I've always wanted to through in a rag top sunroof into my Rodeo, and think that would be sweet in a 4Runner as well....which would be close.

4-14-07%20063%20(Medium).jpg

Wow, this is a really old picture set (from 2007). I need to run that trail again. An FJ40 would work :D I don't see a more modern Toyota in my stable in this vehicles place.

what youve described is what im building my Comanche to be. that being said, if i were to start over again, id start with an LJ

John Grounds:
IMG_6066_zpsldceclpw.jpg

Bryan Croft:
015-bryan-crofts-lj-speed.jpg

I really like LJ, CJ8 & CJ6 rigs. I think a stretched Commando could work as well but I like the easy body parts replacement of other rigs. I LOVE your Commanche (my 16 yr old drools over it all the time and suggests that you trade him for his '97 two door XJ). Tough to fit three people in it is my only objection.

I have thought hard about an S10 or Explorer Sport Trac (could Ford have screwed that rig up any more? It's nothing like it could have been. Even just a 4 door Ranger would have been WORLDS better than that thing---maybe I could import a 4 door Ranger cab?) with a v8 swap(Colorado and Canyon trucks can be had with the 5.3L V8), link suspension and 35-37" tires with Teraflex JK axles. That'd be really capable, old enough to not have all the stupid electronic gizmos of a late 2000's-current rig and reasonably comfortable. I just like the safari top and removable door thing quite a bit.

Look up Chris Durham's latest JK build. It's exactly what you want. He used a TJ frame though.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/moab-experience/2016/1603-2010-jeep-jk-the-roadster-moab-ejs-2016/

The TJ frame would be good for gas tank placement, steering box placement, and you could use a Tera belly up skid to start the suspension with.

He's getting pretty creative with that thing. A LOT of good and interesting ideas there. Looking at the interior, it's not that different than your average YJ/CJ? I'd assume it's reasonably comfortable as he's done Ultimate Adventure a few times. That's a pretty grueling week wherever you come from.

My friend has a really nice CJ8 with a LS3 and coil overs. Sweet rig so if you want to have a look at it let me know.

I love those except for the rusty CJ part. My original plan with my current "Jeep" was to just buy an aluminum CJ8 tub. I'd probably stretch one of those to about 110" to get rid of the bulk of the rear overhang.

I think it relatively easy to make the rig that'll run through Coyote Canyon and be reasonably comfortable on the trail. The driving it around part without being a manly man is the tough parameter. I like some comforts nowadays. I'm concerned a fair amount about ergonomics, cruise control, seat comfort/position/adjustability (this is increasingly a problem for my "cool" knees--they don't seem to like cars :(--my latest project is to increase my fitness level a bit focusing mostly on my leg strength and overall weight) and other intangibles. An LJ is a pretty easy and solid solution. As an adverse to that, I DO like my "Vintage Vehicle" plate and I don't abuse it at all. It gets about the exact mileage use as the DMV outlines for the plate. I'd expect I'd abuse that plate a little more than my current Jeep but it might still be within the parameters. Depends on how one defines "occassional commuting" I guess.

I love the ideas presented. Thanks! I think I could morph my trail Jeep almost as easy as starting over? If I plan right, I might not really miss any events due to the rig being under the knife? The front parts of my YJ wheeltubs are worthless since the wheelbase stretch. I could gain a little storage room there. I've LOVED using an ARB fridge for camping/trail running at an event. They are an awesome luxury. Security and space are a big issue in my current tub for that. That could be possibly overcome.

I need to freshen my motor sooner rather than later. (I've been saying this for at least 6-7 years now) It's a TBI 350. It's not a ton of work or cost to get freshened. Still not sure how I feel about my Dana 300. It's fine but has had it's issues over the years. I think I've got it to where it's reliable now?

My interior is serviceable but far from nice. Calling it "spartan" is a compliment.

y3mt9DzXHYvfMdXFEaQD8ZsfX_c6riYa2bm4rRTZsunYaeNjfp7MiPsDR5sRVwWRkSw9ZUpADm2TWemoWf_HoPrYZ3hTTMnL_Biy3xZjKyQoU4Mukl8oIQaMMbfomqhpvuBk_2NgXqLdjY2Za08UtFEZlbXJ1PjwiyynZjzer87sSk

y3m63Qo_rYUf9jQ4LE-A401gjiPRmrOfK36iB_BOi8Ggo4Csh6d1GwN6DyMemwh4UjBYOLcCI7_QeIjLxuA5Y6_W3HiiLWaUDz5axULc0hKQJDHNsUekcJGmkGzjSrvn0dd58MKvURMsDN6LH3MboIjEB0yr5qBwEVSfRLZNRLOmHU

Last edited:

RockChucker

My rig does meet your requirements. But really only if you want to take one more person. I don't have AC. I could probably add it, but don't care a whole lot. In the summer, the top is off. And that's good enough for me. I have been doing quite a bit of work to try and make mine a little more "heat" friendly. Big motor, big trans = lots of generated heat. I have a few more things to do. And overall it isn't terrible. As for noise....it's amazing what carpet does to cut down on noise. My rig doesn't really fit the budget though. Then again, an Lj doesn't really either.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Stretch your tub to LJ dimensions and take advantage of the available tops for LJ's.

I'd just bump it out to CJ8 specs. That's being strongly considered.

My rig does meet your requirements. But really only if you want to take one more person. I don't have AC. I could probably add it, but don't care a whole lot. In the summer, the top is off. And that's good enough for me. I have been doing quite a bit of work to try and make mine a little more "heat" friendly. Big motor, big trans = lots of generated heat. I have a few more things to do. And overall it isn't terrible. As for noise....it's amazing what carpet does to cut down on noise. My rig doesn't really fit the budget though. Then again, an Lj doesn't really either.

carpet and sound deadener would be a good add. I suffer from same heat soak issues in warm wheeling weather. Kind of handy on winter runs though as I don't have a heater. After running the Jeep for 20-30 min with the top and doors on, it's pretty cozy in there. 700r4 and exhaust tubing put a little radiant heat in the passenger compartment. AC probably wouldn't be easy but I do still have my engine driven AC compressor there. That parts completed

ultimately this is still a Jeep and it's not going to be that civilized. Just want it bearable for long highway stretches. What seats do you have in yours?

idahoyj

The TJ and LJ top are really easy to fit to the YJ tub. My dad has a TJ top on his YJ and if I ever finish my project, I will have an LJ top on my stretched YJ. On my dads, he just modified a set of YJ soft top tub rails to fit, then had to modify the flange on top of the windshield frame so the TJ top would seal. He used a TJ roll cage to get the correct mounting locations for the bows, but the a mounting tab could be built on to any cage. On mine, I bought the factory Mopar soft top rails and they will be welded top the tub.
In my experience, the TJ/LJ soft tops are better designed to stay tight, and the factory ones are quieter than any YJ top I've owned.

RockChucker

I'd just bump it out to CJ8 specs. That's being strongly considered.

carpet and sound deadener would be a good add. I suffer from same heat soak issues in warm wheeling weather. Kind of handy on winter runs though as I don't have a heater. After running the Jeep for 20-30 min with the top and doors on, it's pretty cozy in there. 700r4 and exhaust tubing put a little radiant heat in the passenger compartment. AC probably wouldn't be easy but I do still have my engine driven AC compressor there. That parts completed

ultimately this is still a Jeep and it's not going to be that civilized. Just want it bearable for long highway stretches. What seats do you have in yours?

I'm running Mastercraft Fixed Back Suspension seats...I think they are Originals or something like that? They are comfy for long stretches. But the head rest doesn't extend up all the way. I've been thinking about mounting some head rests off my harness bar.