Best 3 season compact sleeping pad?

DAA

I carried that pillow backpacking for quite a few trips. Finally gave up on it. You'll have to wrap it in a hoodie, or shirt, or something, it's not comfy on the face as is. And it doesn't like to stay put off the end of a sleeping pad. All it really has going for it is tiny size and light weight for backpacking. But as an actual pillow, it kind of sucks. I took it out of the pack for good this spring.

Car camping, why put up with compromises? I take a full size, legit, deluxe, genuine, expensive AF, goose down pillow with an expensive silk pillow case over it. Nice...

Backpacking, I'm back to using my pack as a pillow with a shirt or hoodie or whatever draped over it and it's so much better, I can't believe I spent so many sucky pillow nights trying to make that Klymit thing work.

That purple pad is a bargain. But it's R1.3. Not exactly what I'd call three season. Or even two season. That's a pure summer pad. For comparison, the foam pad I use car camping year round is about R12. A Captain Comfort is R8, a Megmat is R8.1.

- DAA

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Eeek… We just got back from a long weekend camping. Just my luck all three of my Klymit static V pads went flat. One would hold for about thirty minutes the other two lasted a couple hours.

Had to have been something I did? I dunno but it sucked sleeping on the hard cold ground that’s for sure—too old for that shiz lol.

Like I mentioned earlier I really like these I hope I can get it sorted out because they are really nice to sleep on and the one lasted me several years.

Have you guys ever had to patch one? Any luck? I might put them in the bathtub and see where they’re leaking from.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Eeek… We just got back from a long weekend camping. Just my luck all three of my Klymit static V pads went flat. One would hold for about thirty minutes the other two lasted a couple hours.

Had to have been something I did? I dunno but it sucked sleeping on the hard cold ground that’s for sure—too old for that shiz lol.

Like I mentioned earlier I really like these I hope I can get it sorted out because they are really nice to sleep on and the one lasted me several years.

Have you guys ever had to patch one? Any luck? I might put them in the bathtub and see where they’re leaking from.
I've patched a couple and taken a couple to the Klymit store (a benefit of living real close) to be patched.

Tonkaman

I assume you used some sort of pump and didn’t blow air in with your lungs. Right?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Thanks fellas! Uh.. yep I did fill them with my lungs. That might explain things?
Blowing with lungs introduces moisture to the pad and valve. If it's below freezing, the moisture can freeze in the valve and cause damage.

Otherwise, warm moist air will condense as the temps fall leading to the pad feeling deflated.

I usually use a pump to inflate my pads and then top off with my lungs if needed and I don't have a pump bag. My never pads come in a bag to use as a pump to avoid introducing more moisture into the pad.