best internet in the SLC area?

jallen9

I'm looking for a recommendation for broadband internet in the SLC area. Any suggestions? I have centurylink but it doesn't work at my apartment complex correctly so it's unbearably slow and cuts out a lot (first world problems, i know). I hesitate to go with comcast because they sell a ton of bundled TV and stuff. All I want is internet, it doesn't even have to be fast. I don't have a TV so I don't want to bother with that.

thanks

STAG

I don't know about the SLC area, but I have Digis at home and it's okay. I'm on the (up to) 15 Mbps plan but I really only get like 11 max.

Caleb

You'll have problems with most in apartment complexes. Infact you're least likely to have a problem with century link but even that will have problems in high density areas.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I'm on comcast here in Draper (single family home)
I just clocked 28.8Mb/s downstream and 5.8Mb/s upstream using speedtest.net

Troop92

I'm on Comcast in Layton (single fam home) and I just clocked 42.57Mb/s downstream and 11.69Mb/s upstream. I used speedtest.net as well.

jallen9

last time I checked, I was getting something like 0.19 to 0.11 Mbps. it's ridiculous. there's something wrong with the way centurylink connects to my complex, at least that's what this guy told me.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have digis as well in farmington... I get 14.8mbps down and 3.25 up and have only had one problem with it and that was due to high winds that moved my antenna... if you need I can come look at the wiring in your complex and see if there is a problem with it.... I do this for a full time job.

RogueJeepr

Here!
I have Comcast . Its OK but one thing I like is the security comes with so I don't have to buy a new disc every year. It automatically changes every year.

Caleb

last time I checked, I was getting something like 0.19 to 0.11 Mbps. it's ridiculous. there's something wrong with the way centurylink connects to my complex, at least that's what this guy told me.

What are you paying for? You should at least be getting near that. I use comcast and at night will get 100+ down and 20+ up. During any other time of the day, I'm at my plan at 50/10.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I am excited to see google fiber come in to at least help out with the pricing competition.

I'm comcast here as well, pretty happy with it but man it's frustrating dealing with their customer service when something downstream goes wrong. Luckily it's not that often anymore.

From two weeks ago:
I call up and give a detailed description of the issue, packet loss and where it's happening, etc. Get transferred a few times...
tech - "well, I can't get to your modem so the modem must be the issue"
me - "no, modem is fine. The issue is on your end, 50% + packet drop on your side"
tech - "well, like I said, I can't hit your modem so something is wrong with it. We can send a tech out check your modem on tuesday" (it's Saturday...)
me - Sent a text to our neighbor to see if they have connection, anything to prove it's them: "well, I just talked to my neighbor and they the exact same problem for the past hour"
tech - "oh, one sec..." 5 min later pings start going through "Yeah, it looks like it's a problem on our side."
:ugh:

edit - wow sorry for the rant.

Last edited:

Caleb

I am excited to see google fiber come in to at least help out with the pricing competition.

I'm comcast here as well, pretty happy with it but man it's frustrating dealing with their customer service when something downstream goes wrong. Luckily it's not that often anymore.

From two weeks ago:
I call up and give a detailed description of the issue, packet loss and where it's happening, etc. Get transferred a few times...
tech - "well, I can't get to your modem so the modem must be the issue"
me - "no, modem is fine. The issue is on your end, 50% + packet drop on your side"
tech - "well, like I said, I can't hit your modem so something is wrong with it. We can send a tech out check your modem on tuesday" (it's Saturday...)
me - Sent a text to our neighbor to see if they have connection, anything to prove it's them: "well, I just talked to my neighbor and they the exact same problem for the past hour"
tech - "oh, one sec..." 5 min later pings start going through "Yeah, it looks like it's a problem on our side."
:ugh:

I've had similar dealing with them. I've had to send them mgr runs from my house out and from multiple locations back to my house to show them exactly where the packet loss is happening and it's always on their equipment. The one thing I really hate about residential comcast is EVERYTHING is the fault of the modem. When I had business comcast, I was usually talking to someone intelligent on the other end.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Kind of funny you mention that, I had Centurylink stop by the other day and they are running Fiber in my neighborhood. :greg:

Funny how they claim "nobody wants/needs fiber" until another company decides to show up and run fiber. All of a sudden it's available from everybody! :D

ozzy702

Kind of funny you mention that, I had Centurylink stop by the other day and they are running Fiber in my neighborhood. :greg:

Yep, they were out in force today knocking doors. My wife was the only one home an told them to come back when I was here. Anyone know the plans and pricing?

Tonkaman

A few months back centurylink offered me a great price so I tried it out, but kept Comcast to compare side by side. The first problem I ran into was when I realized there are only 2 phone jacks in the house and they are both in ridiculous places for a modem. I ended up trying it out and Comcast was so much faster it was worth paying over double the price

ozzy702

A few months back centurylink offered me a great price so I tried it out, but kept Comcast to compare side by side. The first problem I ran into was when I realized there are only 2 phone jacks in the house and they are both in ridiculous places for a modem. I ended up trying it out and Comcast was so much faster it was worth paying over double the price

I would never use centurylink for dsl... dsl by nature sucks. I am curious about the fiber option that they are walking around talking to people about. While my 50/10 setup works fine I'm all for having more bandwidth.

Caleb

I would never use centurylink for dsl... dsl by nature sucks. I am curious about the fiber option that they are walking around talking to people about. While my 50/10 setup works fine I'm all for having more bandwidth.

Century Link fiber is nothing to get excited about. It's as much or more expensive than the comparable speeds on Comcast. I have a few guys on my team with it and their bills I re-imburse them for are the same as the guys with comcast for the same speeds. They also limit your monthly bandwidth just like any other isp does as well. I have one employee that had to go to a Century Link business account because he kept getting shut-off on the residential plan.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm in west West Valley City.

I switched over from comcast last July to century link after the foot patrol caught me doing yard work. My comcast rates had gotten jacked up to $70 and I was tired of paying for it. I was happy with the speed but wanted a lower monthly. It took century link 3 months to come back and bury the temp line even after multiple calls. I was promised 20 down that was supposed to be sustained (not flux in peak hours.) Things were going really well speed wise until about a month ago when I noticed a sharp change. I reset the modem/router a couple times and had no change. I also had the $30 6 month rate expire and had the rate jacked to $70 again. I was told by the foot patrol that after the 6 months to call in and get put on the $40 for 12 month plan. Yeah, when I tried that they said it was only for new customers and said I didn't qualify.

Anyway, today I did some speed tests via speedtest.net and century links tester and was getting 333 ms ping, 953 kbps down, and 126 kbps up. Again, I'm paying $70 a month for 20 mbps. I chatted with someone and was told we needed to have a tech come look at it and if the problem was outside the house they'ed fix it free but if it was inside I'd be charged $85 minimum. I said that was cool but that I wanted to be refunded 80% of the last 3 months rate because I wasn't getting what I had been paying for. It obviously didn't go anywhere after that.

I'm in IT but for some reason a tech did the whole install, can't remember exactly why, but I don't see how I ought to be liable for a service call on an install that did completly.

I wish that digis had prices on their website. I didn't know they were around and am curious about pricing. I figured I would just go back to comcast for 12 months $45 a month then cancel for century link when prices went up continuing to do that forever...... Why can't someone just provide internet for a reasonable price without promo periods or hidden fees? I'm getting really tired with it all. I'd happily pay $50 a month for a 20 meg connection.

Last edited: