Best way to attach a synthetic winch rope

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Just got a new to me synthetic rope that does not have any type of mounting hardware. What's the best way to attach it to my Warn 9000? I saw this from winchline that looks to be a simple solution
winchline-12.jpg

Also I got a Viking Safety Thimble 2. Is it worth installing or just a bling thing?

Thanks!

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I really liked the safety thimble (albeit not the "2") I had for a while, and if/when I run a synthetic rope again, I'll run another.

For drum attachment, I've just run tape (Gorilla Tape, or at least nice duct tape) several times and had great luck. There are a few methods including the tape described in this PBB thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/484039-keeping-synthetic-winch-rope-drum.html most of which don't require any fancy parts. There are likely better threads on the subject too, I just did a quick search. I have tried the modified chain link like you pictured, and I did NOT like it.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Agreed on the duct tape.

The method I used was this one:

Scott@Rockstomper said:
Anyway, duct tape... take ~3 feet of duct tape. It's a two-lane road. Trust me... mentally, draw a lane line down the middle of it, sticky side up.

In one lane of your duct tape road, lay the first three feet of winch rope (drum end), on the sticky side.

Stick the tip of the rope against the drum flange, tape towards the other flange, on the drum.

Overwind the tape and rope, so that you have tape on the drum, and rope on the tape, for the first three feet, as you flatwrap it onto the drum.

Enjoy that your rope will now only ever come off the drum again when you want it to.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
And if the text doesn't clear it up for you, he made an awesome drawing of it:

250894d1150837592-keeping-synthetic-winch-rope-drum-taperope01.jpg