Jeep Best ways to store jeep hard tops

TJ4Me

I tried searching on the forums but couldn't find any info. I am looking for options for storing a hard top in my garage. I know Lange sells a Hoist-a-top that you can get in an electric or manual. Anybody else use one? How do you like it? Any cons or recommendations? Looking for options & ideas. Thanks.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
If you only do couple inches at a time on either side it can be done easily enough with one person. I've done it quite a few times on and off by myself, takes 10 minutes or so but still better than paying for a hoist IMO.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I had a setup to un/install and store a pickup shell. it was two rails just above bed height that I would drive between. I'd lift up the shell on my back just enough to slide a 2x4 across the rails then drive out from under it. Obviously before I was old and crippled..

TJ4Me

Thanks for the tips. I like what you did. Simple & cheap. First thing I did when I got home was head out to the garage and start measuring. :cool: I would rather spend my money on mods for the jeep than a Lange lift, so this is perfect. Thanks!

TJ4Me

I have one of those TJ hard top roof brackets I'd let go for $50.

Not sure I know what your referring to. Is this something you made to aid in lifting to the ceiling (similar to a t-bar used with the Lange hoist-a-top), or are you talking about a roof rack of some sort that bolts to the top permemantely? Pics might help if you have any.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I built a hoist similar to the one above but used the T bar. This year I got a winch so I am going to modify it to run the winch on the jeep up to the cable hooked to the T bar. Then use the winch to pull the top off. Just another excuse to use the winch.