BFG KM3 vs Goodyear MT/R

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
My dilemma: due to my recent high steer conversion, 15" wheels no longer fit on the front of my TJ. I'm borrowing a pair of 2" spacers (adapters, actually) for the moment, but I'm not a fan of using them... which means I need to buy some 17" wheels... which means I also need to buy 17" tires to match.

Did you know? A 35x12.50-17 tire is at least $100 more than the equivalent 35x12.50-15 tire. :mad2:

Anyway, I currently run BFG KM2s, which are load range C. I love these tires. They grip rocks well, and they have nice compliant sidewalls when I air down. Despite 9 years of moderate abuse, they are still holding up pretty well.

Now the KM2 has been replaced by the KM3. In my 17" size, the KM3 is a load range E. This implies a stiffer sidewall, which is kind of a bummer to me. But what I just discovered today, the 35x12.50-17 Kevlar MT/R is load range C. That catches my interest. To date, I've never ever run a Kevlar MT/R. In years past, I did run a few sets of the original Goodyear MT/Rs and I quite liked them... so I'm considering switching to the Kevlars.

Problem: a co-worker today told me the Kevlar MT/Rs perform poorly in/on rocks. This flies in the face of what I've heard in the past (at least if I am remembering correctly). I decided I should ask around in this group. Those of you who run (or have run in the past) Kevlar MT/Rs, how do you feel about their performance?

For that matter, I've (obviously) not run the new BFG KM3s, either. So I guess I'm torn because the two tires I'm considering are both newer versions of tires I have run in the past and liked, but I don't know which way to go now.

Thoughts? Opinions?

RockChucker

I’ve run both. MTRs are still my favorite DOT tire. Love the look and the performance. That said, the KM3s work pretty good too. I don’t think you can go wrong with either. My brother ran kanati mud hogs that look similar to the OG MTR and they work well too.

I was unable to hold this line on the set Maxxis razrs I had. And and have not attempted it on km3s...yet. But the mtrs held the line and walked up chewy.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
My buddy had 35" Kevlar's on his TJ and I was not impressed. He later went to 35" KM2's and they were way better. I'd heard before that the Kevlar's perform way better in bigger sizes- something about lug size.

Bart

I have not run the Kevlar's but ran sets of KM2s and now on my second set of KM3s. I LOVE them. Once broken in they hook up as well as some of the earlier stickies I used to run. They are also quiet on the road.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
What high steer did you go with that kills the 15" wheel?

This one:

gHZiQRY.jpg

It's hard to tell from that photo, but the Big Ass Tie Rod End <tm> hits the wheel unless I use the spacer/adapter.

llH6qkC.jpg

On the plus side, @UPNO4 openly challenged me to try bending this setup. Oh, and the WJ front brakes are wonderful.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
This one:

gHZiQRY.jpg

It's hard to tell from that photo, but the Big Ass Tie Rod End <tm> hits the wheel unless I use the spacer/adapter.

llH6qkC.jpg

On the plus side, @UPNO4 openly challenged me to try bending this setup. Oh, and the WJ front brakes are wonderful.
I think you just need different 15" wheels. This is @SoopaHick setup and all we had to to was tough the corner of those TRE's with a grinder. These are JK knuckles which are very similar to WJ knuckles.
892C80FC-C0DD-47CD-BB80-77CFFCED108F.jpeg

I would love to be able to go back to 15" wheels.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I think you just need different 15" wheels.

That was my first strategy. My neighbor manages a Discount Tire, and I spent some time there one afternoon while he looked through specs on a variety of wheels. We found nothing that offered more offset than I already have, so I've struck out there.

If you want to drive out to my house this weekend we can try mounting @SoopaHick spare tire/wheel on yours to check fitment.

That's quite kind of you. I'll have to check and see if I can make that fit my schedule. 👍

Pile of parts

I used to have 15x8 or 10??? On my Jeep with 2.5" backspacing. However, they were a 5 on 5.5" rather than 5 on 4.5". I'm guessing that's the difference in why you're having trouble finding wheels.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
what is your hesitation to run spacers/adapters? I've been running spidertrax 1.25" spacers on my LJ with 35's for 100K miles and never had an issue. I just torque them every time I remove a wheel, just like I do the lug nuts.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I think you just need different 15" wheels. This is @SoopaHick setup and all we had to to was tough the corner of those TRE's with a grinder. These are JK knuckles which are very similar to WJ knuckles.
View attachment 135595

I would love to be able to go back to 15" wheels.
Not to mention I was running a WJ knuckle before, and had the same TRE's on there and never had issues with it.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I ran the Mt/r for a bit on my LJ and they did great in the rocks... they really sucked in the snow and ice!!! recently I found that the Falken mud and AT tires are excellent tires and really hook up nicely in all situations. I ran 37 inch falklen wildpeak at3w this last weekend out at snakes and was doing things the buggies with 45" where doing....