General Tech BFG's new commercial tire, the HD-Terrain T/A KT

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I thought this was interesting enough to have a discussion about, I ran across these tires at Impulse Offroad while snooping around the shop.

They're called the BFGoodrich HD-Terrain T/A KT. John W. mentioned that these are pre-production tires and Michelin has been working on perfecting the rubber recipe to make a tire that offers good traction in all conditions, while providing 60,000+ miles of life under heavy commercial pickups.

They should be available sometime next year, but for now it's hard to find any information about them.

20211030_105810.jpg
20211030_105819.jpg

It looks to me like they have tight mud terrain style tread blocks, with a bit of siping for Winter traction. I believe the sipes are varying depths, so as the tire wears, the siping will change. They're load range E, so I'd imagine the sidewalls are pretty beefy and stiff. I will also assume that the tire sizes are going to be limited to 'smaller' sized tires, under 35" since they're targeting the commercial truck market. I'd be curious to see how these do on a heavier truck that sees occasional offroad use. I think these could be a great option under a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel tow rig that sees a lot of miles with a heavy load.

Greg

Admin
When I think of heavy duty commercial tires my head goes to semi truck sizes on 2 ton and bigger. What market are these for with tire sizes that small?

Since there's nothing official from BFG for these tires, you're getting my interpretation of what market these are intended for. Perhaps I could better describe their intended use.... but IMO these are meant to be for full size 3/4 and 1 ton work truck.

Your only other BFG options are the A/T's or M/T's, but they're more for light duty vehicles... Jeeps, Toyota, 1/2 ton trucks. On a 3/4 ton, those tires just don't last like you'd hope.

Tonkaman

Since there's nothing official from BFG for these tires, you're getting my interpretation of what market these are intended for. Perhaps I could better describe their intended use.... but IMO these are meant to be for full size 3/4 and 1 ton work truck.

Your only other BFG options are the A/T's or M/T's, but they're more for light duty vehicles... Jeeps, Toyota, 1/2 ton trucks. On a 3/4 ton, those tires just don't last like you'd hope.
Gotcha. That’s a good point.

ID Bronco

I like the idea and the look. I found this segment hard to pin down on a recent tire purchase. Basically all the tires I liked will suck on a heavy diesel, so I went with some I liked knowing the longevity isn't going to be there. These may be a solution.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
There's definitely a market for a heavy duty tire that works well. The oilfield alone proves that. And with as many 3/4t and 1t trucks as are out there right now on either lighter tires or lame-treaded heavier stuff, this is a good move for BFG.

Greg

Admin
There's definitely a market for a heavy duty tire that works well. The oilfield alone proves that. And with as many 3/4t and 1t trucks as are out there right now on either lighter tires or lame-treaded heavier stuff, this is a good move for BFG.

Totally agree! As much as people seem to like the Goodyear Duratrac, (it's a terrible tire IMO) it proves that there's a market for a similar BFG.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I love bfg A/T's but they are at the wear bars in under 30k on my diesel. This would be a great alternative. I'm in the market in the next 6-8 months too. I'll keep an eye out for these.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Another market that would be all over these are the hotshot transport guys. They rack up the miles for sure, but also want an aggressive good looking tire. Most stick with 35s and under for gooseneck/5th wheel trailer reasons.