Big UROC changes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by BlackSheep
There is still a place for the regular guy. ...

Yes there is, but at what cost?

When UROC started... a good driver with a decent homebuilt rig on a budget could call himself the series champ... that will never hapen again in the new "UROC"... Now its money-time, half-time shows and playing cards....

Sure you can still show up to any event and compete, but you have no chance of making a name for yourself unless you can get to all 10 of the competitions. The big get bigger and the small get smaller....

I can think of alot of competitors that can't really afford to go to DOUBLE the amount of comps next year... therefore making them non-existent in the series point races...:(

Heres another thought...

With the combination of UROC/ARCA... event attendence is sure to increase, both competitiors as well as spectators...

Do you think that two smaller events held in St George are better for our image than one huge one? (considering damage to environment, local impressions, commerce, etc)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by crimsonride
.... Interesting things are going to happen with UROC and RCAA, I can't say for now, my lips are sealed, but it'll be interesting to say at the least.

Why can't you say? Last I checked you no longer are an employee of Mepco/Ranch... why not spill the beans if you have the "insider" info?

creighton

They want me to do what!?
I hope to not step on B's toes here but the first UROC champ had a rig with a prototype suspention built with the help of a manufacturer. He is a killer driver but he brought in a ringer spotter from half way across the country. The sport got better and harder because everybody is learning from each other. I will never forget judging the 2nd day of the first UROC finals after my rig was dead. It was on #6 and brandon climbed up those ledges and I saw for the first time some front digging and how far a strong smart spotter could pull a rig sdeways. That little black YJ slid around that cone that everybody else wiped out completly. UROC began for the little guy and with the new superstock class it remains doable. Look at Scott and Spence. they came out of nowhere to be a real contender in the sport. The Hero is put together with leftover parts, save some CTM's and alloy shafts and some free TOYO's they got at the last minute. Now they recived some help from Andy who works for sixstates (but 6 states probably did not help that much) but that rig is not beyond what someone can build. UROC can be done.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by creighton
I...UROC began for the little guy and with the new superstock class it remains doable. ....

Very true, but to be competitive they must attend all the events (possibly 10)... can most grass-roots guys do that? I talked with several that arn't sure?

Another big thing to think about is what Craig Stumph wants... if he wants to compete next year, then he really had no other choice. Being down at these events, we only see a tiny part of the work he puts into these comps... he deserves whatever he wants and if competing is his choice, then I hope him the best. You just hate to see such a good thing potentially turn sour...

TJ Chick00

My other car is a Jeep
We already travel over 1000 miles to get to these events and will have done 12 events by the end of the season so life will not change much. Ken said my jeep would do fine in the new SS class and I have less then a 1000$ in it since I bought it. Of coarse Ken built everything.

S

sukaB

I built that suspension with Charlie Copsey, Yah Tera paid for the steel. I didnt have front digs!, Clutch work.....
I didnt bring in ringer I brought in redneck that had never spotted for anyone before!. I had four cylinder that second fastest up the dirt climb hill.....Thanks for the props though....
By the way I took second last season after losing to first place by a 100 points and to a guy that broke the rules and then watched the sponsors give him my trophy.... ?:eek: :mad:

I'm ok with it cause I do it for the sport..

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Well guys I hope your sponsors are willing to pay up, I'm still working on mine. As for UROC, Craig is UROC. It will not be the same with out him.

grinch

inner city redneck
Im thinking this is going to suck.... Craig always made us little guys feel importent. He rembmerd it was us little guys that helped start UROC.... On the other hand the others who got involved are busniess men who see dollar signs. Us little guys dont have the dollars and lets face it we dont get the sponsership that the walker evens and so forth get.....
I am in the prosess of building a rig that I was considering running legend class with a few times next year. The alternate spotter position just isnt curing the bug enough( I love the jeepers guys I just miss being more involved). This new set up wouldent affect me to much with only planing on a couple of compitions but it really screws Jake (Tjeep Junkie) who plans on droping a class to lengend and compting the whole season next year. Right now i know its only speculation on whats going to happen but alot of the competators cant afford 10 trips acrost the country. I guess we will see what actually happens but as of now we can only bitch and moan alot and hope the genral whole of the sport is kept do able to the avrage Joe...

Last edited:

Nixter

on the road again...
Speaking from the 'media' side, I think it could be a good thing. You'd be surprised as to the answer I would get when I would ask the question to competitor's as to where do you see this sport in 5 years. On an average, they all said, "to make it truely successfull there has to be one governing body". Does that mean that UROC or RCAA or any of the others is the starting point? Good question, but I think it might be a start. As for the coment on 'Craig' and local competitors, do you think UROC could get large enough that they woulud have state comp's with classes that qualify you for one grand champ? One more question.....for those that do compete, do you do it for fun or money? I would say that for those that do it for money, this could be the only step to make sure that there is money in the future.......

teknodestrukto

I think the change can be good but I know Ranch and the Patey's don't have the charisma to inspire all the volunteers that Craig did. I started judging because I like the money UROC and Craig donated to land use issues. It's big money now and people at the top are getting rich. I don't think they can continue to justify volunteers and I don't know how the volunteers can continue to justify spending their own money and time to make someone else richer. It's time for a pro judges association. I think this would increase consistency in the judging and the integrity of the sport. IMO.

gcb17

Originally posted by BlackSheep
There is still a place for the regular guy. If you look at NASCAR, there are local 'NASCAR' races all over the country. Run by the local clubs on the local courses, you can go to a NASCAR race almost anywhere. You won't be watching Gordon and Earnhardt jr, but you will be watching some guys (and gals) really gettin it. I can see UROC heading that way.

to me, this would suck. back home, every redneck had their little dirt track car that they stupidly spent their food money on. i would hate to see a huge NASCAR type comp and then a bunch of little guys like me running around trying to compete in someone's backyard. i'm glad they opened up the super stock class, and i hope they keep it like that. it gives everyone a chance to play "with" the bigger built guys.

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Originally posted by gcb17

to me, this would suck. back home, every redneck had their little dirt track car that they stupidly spent their food money on. i would hate to see a huge NASCAR type comp and then a bunch of little guys like me running around trying to compete in someone's backyard. i'm glad they opened up the super stock class, and i hope they keep it like that. it gives everyone a chance to play "with" the bigger built guys.

I've got news for you, the Hero is good but it's also disposable. That's what makes it so great, if someone else were to try and duplicate it, it would cost alot more than what I have in to it. Some of the better legends teams that did well in that class came down to super stock, so it's very competitive.

creighton

This is so true. Some of the competitive Ledgend guys moved to super stock. Jeff mellow and soon we will see kevin hawkins after currie welds on a stock rear section on the TJ. I moved to Superstock because not that I have been real competitive this season. But if a rig still has a full body you will see them in SS next season.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by teknodestrukto
.... I don't think they can continue to justify volunteers and I don't know how the volunteers can continue to justify spending their own money and time to make someone else richer. ...

I heard that same comment from several others as well... the judges, crowd control guys, security, announcers... all donate ALOT of time and effort to running these shows... at what cost?

creighton

I think we need some type of Accounting openness in the whole deal. What about a UROC Drivers and Judges union. Can I be Jimmy Hoffa can I can I hu hu Can I please Please.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Originally posted by creighton
I think we need some type of Accounting openness in the whole deal. What about a UROC Drivers and Judges union. Can I be Jimmy Hoffa can I can I hu hu Can I please Please.

what size shoes you wear? I'll get some cement... :eek: ;)

S

sukaB

I'm personally tired of lining others pockets with outragous entry fee's...
I second the poo...
But the poo shall fade away just like Craig--Mark my words you watch....

creighton

The entry fees just end up in Deans, Amys, Tracy's, John's pockets. But you have to admit UROC has supported the individual sponsors the drivers come up with. Although this event was not as friendly as those in the past.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Some day this sport is gonna support drivers. It'll be like NASCAR, with a national schedule, big sponsors, and big money. The only way to get there from here is one big sanctioning body. One day the drivers are gonna hafta make a decision that this is what they want to do. I don't think today is that day. I think that by combining like this now they're asking the drivers to make a huge commitment. I simply can't make it to ten events next year, and I don't think many others can. We will have to wait and see if Ranch helps take UROC to another level, or if he drives it into the ground. I sure wish Craig was gonna still be in there to keep us little guys in mind. I remember having similar conversations about the Pateys not too long ago. I wonder about the courses next year. I know RRCA (or however they spelled it last) didn't drive their courses before the comp, and I always really liked the fact that Craig did, so we knew it was at least possible, and safe. Change is never comfortable, but hopefully it will turn out for the best.

S

sukaB

Yah the entry fee's all end up back in our pockets...Do the Math or do you need a calculator!!!!

Where you think all the other money goes...
Where do you think the money for the 18 wheeler came from------US---or the sponsors that sponsor the event and that money should be going back into our pockets not theirs...
It has to be ran like Nascar or people like us will get screwed..Forever

fade the poo

Status
Not open for further replies.