BLM Moab Announces Scoping Period for Jeep Safari Permit Renewal (Ends 6/21/12)

ret32

One week left on this.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/info/newsroom/2012/may/blm_moab_announces.html

Release Date: 05/21/12
Contacts: Katie Stevens, 435-259-2172

BLM Moab Announces Scoping Period for Jeep Safari Permit Renewal

Moab, Utah-The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Moab Field Office has received a request from the Red Rock 4-Wheelers to renew its Special Recreation Permit for the Moab Jeep Safari. The BLM will be preparing an Environmental Assessment, which also covers commercial and organized group motorized permits on Jeep Safari routes. The BLM invites the public to identify issues for preparation of the Environmental Assessment.

The scoping period ends June 21, 2012. Comments may be submitted by mail to: BLM, attn. Katie Stevens, Moab Field Office, 82 E. Dogwood, Moab, Utah 84532, or by email to kstevens@blm.gov (include “Jeep Safari comments” in the subject line).

For more information, call the BLM Moab Field Office, 435-259-2100.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
OK, if your like me.... I read the article and don't know what I need to do.

"The BLM invites the public to identify issues for preparation of the Environmental Assessment."

If you can imaging there will be a ton of negative comments sent to the BLM via this opertunity... I call on everyone for this last day to please send a short comment email about how you think Jeep Safari is a GOOD THING and you would like to attend some trail rides.

Comments may be submitted by mail to: BLM, attn. Katie Stevens, Moab Field Office, 82 E. Dogwood, Moab, Utah 84532

Or by email to kstevens@blm.gov

(include “Jeep Safari comments” in the subject line).

ret32

OK, if your like me.... I read the article and don't know what I need to do...

The BLM needs to prepare an environment assessment of renewing vs. not renewing the permit. They are soliciting public thoughts on what issues they should consider in their assessment. After the "scoping period" ends, the BLM will create an environmental assessment of renewing vs. not renewing and will base their decision on that assessment.

...comment email about how you think Jeep Safari is a GOOD THING...
"good thing" for the environment. Or at least how it is NOT a bad thing for the environment.

For example, my comments included...

"Whether or not the Jeep Safari is held as an organized, permitted event; tens of thousands of motorized recreationists will travel to the Moab area and recreate on BLM land during the Easter time period. The impact of these visitations without the permitted event would be much greater than they are with the permitted event."

Last edited:

ONEtonXJ

Here's what mine said.. Don't copy paste, but make it your own words if your still not sure what to do..

One of the busiest times of the year for the economy... Every single hotel, motel, and campsite is booked FULL usually a year in advance for this "event" or gathering of 4x4 enthusiasts... Restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, local businesses thrive off of this massive tourism attraction.*
I personally have never attended a jeep safari sponsored trail ride but would love the opportunity in the coming years, as I'm sure so would many others.

Thank you for your time,
Nate Goodwin

sixstringsteve

My email (don't copy it, but feel free to use any concepts you agree with)

In my opinion, Jeep Safari is one of the best organized and responsible trail rides in the country. The biggest advantage to Jeep Safari is the way it trains new and uneducated wheelers on proper trail ettiquette, use, legality, treading lightly, and leaving the least impact possible. By having expert spotters, leaders, and tail gunners, the newer jeepers will be able to learn from the people who truly care about protecting our great surroundings. While jeep safari brings more travel on the trails for that week, it encourages and reinforces responsible recreation. The question in my mind is not whether jeeping is bad or not, the question is whether jeep safari helps or hurts the environment. Through proper use of nature, many people learn the correct way to recreate offroad. Without Jeep safari, many of these newer jeepers would be left to learn by their experience, rather than be taught in the right way. I think jeep safari should absolutely be continued to promote proper and responsible recreation.