BOB/survival pack. Something everyone should carry.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
When I was 16 I slid my Subaru off a desolate mountain road in So Idaho. Knowing that I would not see anyone for days I made the decision to walk out. Not too bad other than I was 15 miles away from any road and it was in the middle of winter. I walked all the way home in the middle of the night wearing a pair of tennis shoes, a t-shirt and no hat--I had nothing to make the situation any better. Doing push ups and jogging kept me warm but I still froze my butt off. At the time I was very embarrassed and mad at myself but in the long run it taught me a valuable lesson.

Since then I carry a BOB (bug out bag) or pack. I'm just going to share what I carry in my pack to aid me in preparing for the worst. This does not include spare parts or other things I carry pertaining to my 4 wheel drive. I don't plan to give a lesson in survival or anything but I just want to remind everyone that it is very easy to go from bad to worse when exploring back country and trails.

Remember that it is rarely a good idea to leave the vehicle especially in winter. In some cases like mine I knew full well that I would have been there for days as the road was rarely used. It is up to you to make the decision to leave. If you do make sure you know what you are doing.

Items in bag:

Light: You need flashlights--several flashlights. Keep LED and regular flashlights as both are better for different situations. Buy the best batteries and have a few extra as they will save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

First Aid: Buy a good first aid kit and include some of your own medicin. My kit is made by First Aid Only and it has a lot of usefully things. I have also included two more small kits and a box of Pepto and Benadryl. If you know anyone allergic to bee's you'll know why Benadryl is so important.

Fire starters: Nothing sucks worse than trying to start a fire with two sticks--seriously nothing :rolleyes: I keep MANY cigarette lighters, a small candle, water proof matches and a small bottle of sanitizer as fire starting aids. Another great thing to have is Petroleum Jelly and cotton swabs. If you soak the swabs in the jelly they make for a great candle that can help start a fire. I also keep a length of hose to siphon fuel from the truck to help in starting a fire. Remember that the spark from touching jumper cables together will also ignite a fire--just be careful. I figure when you need a fire you need it now!

Clothing: No matter where you go if you leave the house wearing tennis shoes throw a pair of insulated boots in the truck whether you plan to use them or not. You loose most of your body heat through your head so throw in a few beenies and a head sock to protect your head and neck. Thick mittens, a few long sleeve shirts (dress in layers) a coat and insulated pants are a must too. These items take up very little space in the bag and are cheap insurance. I take my snowboarding coat as it is light, water/wind proof and warm. It also has vents that open (you don't want to sweat while outside or all that moisture turns to ice later on) in different spots. Think of others here too. Wife, kids and friends that are riding along that might not have these things.

Sense of direction: If you don't know where you are at you may be in serious trouble. Having some maps, a good compass and common sense will help a lot. A GPS is a good tool if used properly but don't rely on it alone to get you to safety. Also in case of emergency most cell phones will work via satellite and get you through to help if you dial 911. Again don't rely on it, but give it a shot.

Tools: Rope, small saw or wyoming saw, Multi tool (letherman wave is a good one), and a good knife are great to have too. I have put mine to a lot of use over the years. A reflector is good for signaling too.

Food and water.: Keep a small stainless cooking bowl for cooking food and thawing snow. I like to keep enough freeze dried food and canned food to feed 2 or 3 people for 3 days minimum. Also throw in a Nalgene or similar 1000mL bottle for water if there is snow around. Although it won't fit in the bag keeping a gallon of water or more is a MUST in the warmer months.

My pack is a North Face Terra 40. It is about the perfect size for me and what I use it for. Anything will work though and one similar to this doesn't take up much space at all.

This goes everywhere with me. Anyone can put together something similar for very little money. I have used it several times to help people that are lost and needed food and/or water. I have actually given out food to some high school kids that were snowed in and had to spend a night in the cold. It's a good feeling :D

Anyway if you carry something in particular that will help out post up! I'm sure I'm forgetting a few items...

Attachments

• bob 1.jpg
    bob 1.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 29
  • bob 2.jpg
    bob 2.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 25
  • bob 3.jpg
    bob 3.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 27
  • bob 4.jpg
    bob 4.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 29
  • bob 5.jpg
    bob 5.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 34
  • bob 6.jpg
    bob 6.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 33
  • bob 7.jpg
    bob 7.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
x2 on the guns. :)

For fire starting duty, lint out of your dryer's lint trap is an awesome way to get fires started. A few weeks of collecting that lint, and you';ve got it made. Bonus is that it packs down really small into a plastic bag.

When I piece together my new bug out bag soon, I want to get those little pack sof coagulate stuff that stops bleeding..

Your list is well thought out. Not sure why, but I usually seem to have several pairs of socks in my BOB..

Another possible good practice for some could be to have a handheld HAM radio and pocket book of repeaters. SPOT even comes to mind. When you're in a real pickle, you just turn it on and wait for the calvary.

Hunt

Something a lot of people don't think about:

When you are packing extra fluids for your vehicle and have limited space, leave the gallon of antifreeze at home and exchange it for a gallon of drinking water. You cant drink antifreeze but a gallon of fresh water fills the radiator just the same.

Just a thought.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Great points from everyone. I usually try to overpack for any kind of trip or outing, but always seem to forget some of the most obvious...

I've seen a few threads about this and everyone says they need to get a bob put together, but how many of us actually follow through. I know I haven't.

Thanks for reminding me to get this done.

Guns are cool.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Great subject Andrew, I really need to put something together like you've outlined!

... For fire starting duty, lint out of your dryer's lint trap is an awesome way to get fires started. A few weeks of collecting that lint, and you';ve got it made. Bonus is that it packs down really small into a plastic bag.

For the last couple years I've carried a flint & steel combo in my Camelback, along with a small plastic prescription bottle packed with cotton swabs. The cotton swabs catch the sparks quite well and light right up. I'll have to remember the tip about the petroleum jelly, another good idea! I know most of you have seen this video, but it's a good real world example of starting a fire w/o matches or a lighter.

[YOUTUBE]GDE3PrZGyNE[/YOUTUBE]

Another thing I would recommend in a BOB would be a couple road flares. If you need to signal a passing car, a search party or start a fire when it's damp or cold out, a flare will get the job done. We use them quite often at work to open frozen locks, start fires, etc. I've been meaning to pack a few into our cars, but haven't yet.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Flares are a great tool.

My personal favorite fire starter is military issue stuff. Can't remember what its called but its purple powdery stuff, you can pick it up at any Army Surplus store. Like 8 sticks for $2.

Another trick, my uncle taught me, fill a paper cup about half full of gas, stick the cup under your kindling and light the paper cup. The gas burns slower when you don't just throw it on the wood.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
^I'd assume that is because liquid gasoline is not combustable.. The fumes however are combustable.

Maybe?

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I always have a survival bag with 2 MRE's in it and 2 liters of water, includes my MSR Pocketrocket and a fuel pod, plus 6 granola bars. It's enough food for 3 days based on 2500 calories per day. Also has an emergency blanket and extra socks, gloves, and warm hat. I also have several bivy sacks and single man tents to choose from to throw in as needed for the trip's needs.

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Another thing that works great for starting fires is cotton balls that are saturated in vasoline. One cotton ball will burn for about 5 minutes.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I have some supplies in my jeep that have been sealed in one of those vacuum food storage type bags to help keep things clean and dry. If you do this, make sure to have a knife that's NOT sealed in the bag for obvious reasons. :p

ewander

This is a great topic. I have these items with me everywhere I go (which ever vehicle I drive). They are all in a small diplomat brand backpack:

3 liter camelback
Electrical tape
Nalgene Bottle, Whistle, LEd light, Compass, poncho, band-aids, space blanket, and a few other items
3 X Carabiners
Gerber mult-tool
Sewing kit
Knife sharpener
fire steal
18 X AA Batteries
10 X AAA Batteries
30 X 123 Lithium Batteries (I love the 10 year shelf life)
2 large folding knives
LED Flashlight AA Batteries
Surefire LED Flashlight 123 Lithium
8 X hand warmers
chapstick/sunscreen
2 X Lighters
100' 550 cord
small first aid kit/water purification tablets
larger IV capable and large trama first aid kit
LED head lamp
beanie cap
leather work gloves, liners
Northface rain jacket
Steripen (water purification system)
Garmin rino 130, GPS and Radio
3 X Chemlights
2 X MREs
fire starter kit
Binoculars (small)
Glock 22 w/ 4 15 round magazines (Loaded with Speer Gold Dots)
Additional 75 X .40 Speer Gold dots JHP
Nikon Digital camera w/ cables
writing kit w/pens pencils, sharpie
zip ties (large)
Small kershaw hatchet
Small saw/sheath
Toilet paper

Additional small bags:
PolarTec fleece jacket
Military coveralls

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The basics of water tablets are chlorine dioxide and iodine. There are others, but these are the main ones. Iodine works better on cryptosporidium and chlorine is usually thought to taste better. Iodine must be kept in a dark container and glass is usually best for some reason. The taste of iodine can be counteracted by anything with vitamin C in it like tang or similar. You could just drop in a vitamin C tablet. Make sure you do this after the reaction has already taken place. Wait time on both is roughly 45 minutes to an hour or longer if the water is old or dirty. chlorine dioxide can take up to 4.5 hours for some crypto strains. Make sure to wait long enough. There are options like drops of chlorine dioxide(aqua mira) that work a little faster. They don't activate until the two parts mix together making them more fresh when added to your water. Another option is calcium hypochlorite. that is what I have in my storage for long term. You have to mix it into a solution before you use it though making it a little more complicated, but it is actually better than chlorine dioxide. I keep all otions available at my house and usually have at least 2 otions in the vehicle and 3 options in my BoB. I also have a few of the chlorine dioxide tablets in every backpack and coat pocket that I own. they always stay in there. You can buy one package of tablets and rip the little tinfoil packets apart and spread the love. kind of a poopily worded post sorry.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
to answer the question this time. My wife and I carry water tablets, fuel to boil, bottles of fresh water, and a filter in our BoB.