Bonneville Off-Road Racing opens a JeepSpeed class for our Sept. 19 Wendover race!

reddman

Fabber
Bonneville Off-Road Racing is proud to announce that we are now working with JeepSpeed to bring affordable racing to the people in the Northern Utah area!

JeepSpeed is a great venue for those of you guys with caged out Jeeps to try your hand at racing. The rules are pretty basic, you must have a full roll cage, plastic fuel cell or better (aluminum and steel cells without bladders aren't allowed for safety reasons), 5 point harnesses, fire extingiushers, etc. For JeepSpeed's rules, click here. Wheelbase is limited, as is motor size, and all suspension mods must be commercially produced kits. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about rules and I'll do my best to research the answer for you and post it up here.

If you have a crawler that doesn't fit under JeepSpeed rules, we have an Ultra 4400 class (KOH style) that you can be part of. Post up any questions you have about either class.

We will be doing a Pre-Tech inspection on Saturday Aug. 29 at 4WP at 1789 S. Redwood Road in Salt Lake City. Four Wheel Parts has been kind enough to let us use their parking lot for this event. We will bring out some sweet desert race cars and trucks for everyone to check out while we do a preliminary tech inspection on anyone's vehicle that they would like to enter in the September 19 race.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I am very interested in JeepSpeed, and I am working on a club effort to build, support and Race it, therefore we will not be ready untill next season. thats awesome that your guys decided to include the JeepSpeed Class.

rosedude

back to the front
way excited to see some buggy's and cool rigs try the desert side of the sport. always love the boulder sections. wish i had a rig right now i'd be there for sure. i hope there are a lot of people showing up to this. Sh**, might just have to enter the cummins.

reddman

Fabber
I am very interested in JeepSpeed, and I am working on a club effort to build, support and Race it, therefore we will not be ready untill next season. thats awesome that your guys decided to include the JeepSpeed Class.

Nice! Who else is involved in your race team? Tell us about what your building!

way excited to see some buggy's and cool rigs try the desert side of the sport. always love the boulder sections. wish i had a rig right now i'd be there for sure. i hope there are a lot of people showing up to this. Sh**, might just have to enter the cummins.

:rofl: I would love to see the cummi bombin' down the course!

So who else is thinking about goin' fast? I would love to see some of the big name local crawlers like Jimmy Maybe, Ben Hanks, and others be a part of this!

Mug

PHORmerly
Pre-Tech inspection on Saturday Aug. 29 at 4WP at 1789 S. Redwood Road in Salt Lake City. Four Wheel Parts has been kind enough to let us use their parking lot for this event. We will bring out some sweet desert race cars and trucks for everyone to check out while we do a preliminary tech inspection on anyone's vehicle that they would like to enter in the September 19 race.

Is there a time window for this?

Too Far

parts is parts
I have a car that is getting pretty close. Its a class 3, but I'm sure I can fit in somewhere in bore. Probably class 7 of some nature. Unlikely that I will make it this season, usra racing has been keeping me busy this year, but I'm coming!

reddman

Fabber
Is there a time window for this?

11-3 is when we will be there. They are open 9-3 on Saturdays. Are you bringing a vehicle to tech or just spectating?

I have a car that is getting pretty close. Its a class 3, but I'm sure I can fit in somewhere in bore. Probably class 7 of some nature. Unlikely that I will make it this season, usra racing has been keeping me busy this year, but I'm coming!

If you bring it we will fit it into a class. Post up some pics!!!

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
i heard about this, and thought hell my runners pretty quick... whats the intro fee? what classes are there? my guess was that ill be racing against some high horse power koh buggys? sounds like a good time:D i think mountain yoats might have to make an appearance

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Questions for a rig that will most likely be in the Ultra 4400 class...

Will gussets on all major intersecting bars of cage be required?

Will side bars in the door area be required?

Windshield rules?

Mandatory winch? (KOH required) ~ we don't have one on the truck

Rearward facing amber and blue lights required?

Is window netting 100% required?

Last edited:

reddman

Fabber
i heard about this, and thought hell my runners pretty quick... whats the intro fee? what classes are there? my guess was that ill be racing against some high horse power koh buggys? sounds like a good time:D i think mountain yoats might have to make an appearance

That's awesome, I would love to see ya out there!

The entry fee should be about $350 total, that includes all land use fees, medical personel fees, etc. We are keeping our entry fees lower than the other racing bodies because we know times are tough. The number may change slightly, but we really don't expect it to.

We have all the classes BITD runs. At this race there should be class 1's (1500), 7, 8, 10, 1600, 4400 (that's the class you'll be in), and more, depending on who brings what.

Our MD class one had a bad roll at V2R, so that takes our 560 horse car out of the running. There will be a few high powered rigs out there, but many of the rigs are running 4 and 6 cylinder motors. Desert is mostly suspension anyways, you'll probably be fine on power.

Questions for a rig that will most likely be in the Ultra 4400 class...

Will gussets on all major intersecting bars of cage be required?

Will side bars in the door area be required?

Windshield rules?

Mandatory winch? (KOH required) ~ we don't have one on the truck

Rearward facing amber and blue lights required?

Is window netting 100% required?

Gussets are not necessarily required on every major intersecting bar. Gussets may be required if there is a likely failure point. The cage must be well designed and well built. Each cage will need to be inspected and certified that it is safe. I've organized a pre-tech inspection this weekend (Saturday, August 29) at 4WP in Salt Lake, from 11-3 so that everyone interested in racing can bring in their rig for a preliminary inspection. This will give everyone a few weeks to fix any issues and be ready to race on Sept. 19.

Door bars will be required, a tube door may count if the design and mounts are structurally safe, but a welded bar is strongly prefered. Since every design is different, each vehicle will be considered on a case by case basis.

I am a tech inspector for BOR, so if anyone has specific questions feel free to ask me any specific questions you may have about your rig. I will be generally following BITD safety rules, but some exceptions will be allowed if the design and construction appears to be safe. Below is what the BITD rulebook says about cages, remember, I'm not going to be a stickler about little things, but the cage needs to be able to keep you safe in a high speed roll:

"VEHICLE SAFETY EQUIPMENT
SCR34: ROLLCAGES
Best In The Desert Racing Association believes that it is each competitor’s responsibility to present a safe vehicle for pre-race tech inspection. You must maintain your safety equipment including the roll cage integrity. No changes to the minimum construction specification with respect to diameter or wall thickness are anticipated at this time. As in the past, Best In The Desert Racing Association reserves the right to not allow any safety cage design that, in the view of the tech inspector, is not fit for competition. You, as the competitor, are ultimately responsible for your own vehicle’s safety features with respect to the design, quality of execution, maintenance and repair of the roll cage structure.

All vehicles in competition must be equipped with a rollcage based on seamless mild steel. Minimum design and tubing size for rollcage structure is in accordance with Table 2.

Table 2. Minimum Tubing Dimension
Vehicle Weight
Under 2000 lbs.
1.5" x 0.95"
2001 to 2500 lbs.
1.5" x .120"
2501 to 3000 lbs.
1.75" x .095"
3001 to 4000 lbs
1.75" x .120"
4001 pounds and over
2.0” x .120”
Note: See manufacturer’s’ reference charts for alloy steel tubing equivalent strengths. No aluminum or other non-ferrous materials are permitted.

MATERIAL Rollcage construction material may be crew, dom, whr, wcr mild carbon steel or 4130 chromoly. 4130 chromoly is highly recommended for all rollcage construction. Stress relieve all welded intersections by flame annealing. All welds must be of high quality and craftsmanship with good penetration and with no undercutting of parent material. Oxy-acetylene brazing on rollcage is strictly forbidden.

ROLLCAGE DESIGN
All rollcages must be designed and constructed with one front vertical hoop, one rear vertical hoop, two interconnecting top bars, two rear down braces, one diagonal brace and all necessary gussets. The two top interconnecting bars must be placed as far to the outside of the top part of the front and rear hoops as possible. Rear down braces and diagonal brace must angle a minimum of 30 degrees from vertical. At the bottom of the diagonal brace there must be a cross member of the same tubing material and dimensions as the hoop. All rollcage components (hoops, braces, gussets, etc.) must have a minimum of 3-inch clearance from the component to the vehicle occupant’s helmets when occupants are seated in their normal riding positions. All portions of the roll bar or bracing that might come into contact with the vehicle occupant’s helmets must be padded. All portions of the roll bar or bracing that might come into contact with the vehicle occupant’s helmets must be padded. Rollcages must be securely mounted to the frame or body.

All intersecting points must be gusseted and braced. Cab or body mounted rollcages must be bolted through the body structure and be attached by use of a minimum two 0.1875-inch thick doubler plates (one on each side of body structure). Bolts and nuts must be at least 0.375-inch-diameter s.a.e. Grade 8 or equivalent aircraft quality. Welding of cab or body mounted rollcages to body structure is strictly prohibited. Rollcage terminal ends must be attached to a frame or body member that will support maximum impact and not shear or allow more than 1.5 inches of movement in the cage terminal end.

All vehicles including those with stock steel doors must have at least one side bar on each side of vehicle that will protect occupants from side impact. The side bars must be of the same tubing material and dimensions as the rest of the rollcage. The side bars must be as close to parallel to the ground as possible, be located to provide maximum protection to the occupants, and be securely welded to the front and rear hoops. The location of the sidebars must not cause difficulty in entering or exiting the vehicle.

Gussets constructed of 0.125-inch x 3-inch x 3-inch flat-plate or split, formed and welded corner-tubing, or tubing-gussets made of the same material and thickness as the rollcage may be used. Gussets must be installed at all major intersections, including diagonal and rear down braces, where single weld fractures can affect occupants’ safety.

In the stock classes (3100, 4100, 7300, 8100) on vehicles with rear leaf spring suspension you may add a plate to the front leaf spring outboard mounted hanger if a main roll cage mount is terminated at that point. The plate may only be place in the ―V‖ of the hanger and be welded in place to the hanger only. The plate itself may not attach directly to the frame of the vehicle except for the roll cage attachment bolt that passes through the plate, the roll cage terminal end and the frame. The plate may only be large enough to allow for a good brace for the roll cage mount. Plate design and installation must meet with Best In The Desert Racing Association approval. The rear leaf spring hanger of the rear leaf spring may have a kicker bar attached to the flat horizontal portion of the hanger and extend to the main rollcage down brace. The main rollcage cannot directly mount to the rear hanger. The design of kicker bar must be such that you can unbolt it from the hanger. Kicker design must meet with Best In The Desert Racing Association approval. In the stock classes (3100, 4100, 7300, 8100) you may attach a main roll cage mount to the top of the front spring bucket. Design and installation must meet with Best In The Desert Racing Association approval."

Glass isn't allowed, it's too likely to get broken and injure someone. Windsheilds, side and back windows should be removed prior to racing.

Winches will not be required in BOR. In the future we may require them on 4400 vehicles, but not this year. I'll keep y'all posted of any future rule changes.

Window nets are required. They are actually really cheap. IIRC you can get universal nets for only $25. That's a lot cheaper than getting an arm sewn back on. :D

4400 cars will need a rear facing blue light, in addition to red tail/brake lights, and a rear facing amber light.

I think that answered all the questions. If anyone has any others please don't hesitate to ask! :greg: