Brake question

xjallday

your mama
Im trying to get some new brake pads and calipers for a dana 44 out of a 77f-150 i think! i just bought it and the owner had swithched everything to chevy stuff from the knukle out.And i was wondering if the caliper braket on this 44 and a 3/4 chevy caliper bracket are the same?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
don't know, but if he swapped to Chevy stuff, just get that?

ask for 1978 3/4t Chevy truck w/a 350 (oh, it matters... IT MATTERS!) :D

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
If it is chevy from the knuckles out then it does not matter whether you ask for 3/4 or 1/2 ton pads and calipers. They are the same. The 3/4 brackets are different because the 3/4 tons have bigger rotors but they accept the exact same calipers and pads. If you have 8 lug you have 3/4 ton rotors. If you have 6 lug you have 1/2 ton rotors and if you have 5 lug you have Ford hub and rotors on the Chevy spindle. Post some pics if you want to make sure of exactly what you have.

xjallday

your mama
yea, that would be all good and well but then i would have to go back to a an 8 lug and that wouldnt work with my 9in wich is a 5 lug.Im just going to get some ford brackets,thanks though

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
xjallday said:
yea, that would be all good and well but then i would have to go back to a an 8 lug and that wouldnt work with my 9in wich is a 5 lug.Im just going to get some ford brackets,thanks though

Maybe I don't understand what your asking but you dont need ford brackets. If the owner switched to all chevy stuff from the knuckle out you just need chevy calipers and pads. Is what you have 8 lug 3/4 ton stuff and you want to convert to 5 on 5.5 pattern? Are you 6 lug 1/2 Chevy pattern and want 5 lug? We can tell you how. What is your question? The Chevy stuff is perfered over the Ford for many reasons. Also the Ford brackets wont work with your Chevy knuckles.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Do you know if you have Chevy Brackets or Ford? The Chevy crackets have threaded holes for holding the caliper on. The Ford brackets have sliding grooves and you have to pound some clips in there from the outside.

xjallday

your mama
well what i have is ford spindle and rotor 5 lug and chevy brackets.i would go with the chevy set up because i know it is alot bigger and better but then i would have to some how switch my ford 9inch to 8 lug.i think getting a ford bracket would be alot easier.Thanks for all of your help though.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
xjallday said:
well what i have is ford spindle and rotor 5 lug and chevy brackets.i would go with the chevy set up because i know it is alot bigger and better but then i would have to some how switch my ford 9inch to 8 lug.i think getting a ford bracket would be alot easier.Thanks for all of your help though.
Man, you just confused the crap outta me. I'll take a look at it tomorrow when I bring your bumper by.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
xjallday said:

You do not have Ford spindles and Chevy brackets. Ford has 5 bolt spindles and chevy has 6. TTB Ford spindlles have 6 but their length makes them unusable with the Chevy stuff or even the solid axle Ford stuff. The Chevy brake setup is not bigger but is better IMO.
The formula you should probably follow is: Chevy knuckles (1/2 ton and 3/4 ton are the same), Chevy brackets(1/2 ton), Chevy early(small inner bearing) spindles or later Chevy spindles with the inner bearing surface turned down (1/2 ton only), Chevy calipers and pads(1/2 ton and 3/4 ton are the same) and Ford hub and rotor assemblys(1/2 ton 5 lug).

Last edited: