Brandon Gillen (SukaB) tentative run to 5MP or similar...

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Folks, I went down a couple of weeks ago and saw Brandon Gillen for the first time in a while. We got to talking about heading out on an easy spring time wheeling trip to see how he handles the terrain. Mind you, he has some difficulties with cold and heat, so a mild day in a well built daily driver with a heater and AC would be the most comfortable for him. A five point harness would also be favorable, but daily drivers don't usually have those seats.

Anyway, I am looking for a few guys to cowboy up and join in with me in getting Brandon back out on the trail. I fully volunteer my Cherokee to have Brandon ride along. I feel with his condition, a chase vehicle and recovery vehicle would be smart options as well. I know Brandon would agree with me, that we wouldn't do anything like this without a bunch of help and I know you guys are ready for that challenge.

As for dates, I would consider the weekend of the 12th/13th or the 19th/20th to be good options. The trick is, if this goes well and he enjoys himself, the next logical step is a trip to Moab. Moab will get uncomfortably hot before too long, so if he is going to get that wish, we need to act quickly.

I would be glad to field questions and concerns. Email me at xjcherokee@comcast.net or call at 391-7544

Lifelong Jeeper

great idea. I would love to go along. I don't have AC or 5pt harnesses. I have been wondering how he is doing. Any other updates you can pass along?

JoeT

There's a Summit Machine run on the 12th I believe to 5MP/Rattlesnake area. I'll be taking my JK out hopefully. Sounds like a great idea getting him out for some wheeling.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
There is also a U4WDA Little Moab Service Project (Cleanup) that day too... It will be advertised ASAP, we've been waiting for all the "paperwork" from the BLM/SITLA/State Parks

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
So, is the vibe I'm getting pushing me towards another weekend or should I get with Gillen and try for the next weekend and combine with the Summit trip?

Honestly, I thought I would get more than 5 replies. :ugh:

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Well, I am feeling April 19th or 20th. Any later and we'll be fighting the warm weather that is problematic for Brandon.

BTW, he texted me the other day after a full day of sit skiing at Snowbird. He is definitely pumped up and excited about getting out and about!!

James

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Well, I am feeling April 19th or 20th. Any later and we'll be fighting the warm weather that is problematic for Brandon.

BTW, he texted me the other day after a full day of sit skiing at Snowbird. He is definitely pumped up and excited about getting out and about!!

James

Cool. I'll get out there if I can. I could use a shakedown (breakdown?) run or two.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
DOn't know if anyone has seen it, but the 4WParts TV show last week showed a FJ Cruiser that had been fit with hand controls and had an overhead winch to load the chair in the backseat. Dude had a motorcycle accident and built a roof rack that has a a slide out winch, roof lights that are aimable. And he offers any help/support to other paraplegics. I'd imagine one could contact 4WP or their show for more info.

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Brandon has given me the 19th as the day he can do it. Logistically, I believe we will meet at the unloading zone. I don't have a definite time that we will be there, but I am hoping around 11:00am. If anyone has any suggestions, drop a note on the thread or PM. Thanks,

James

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Bad news, Brandon said his doctors want him to do more physical therapy specifically to address the rigors of off roading. I will clarify tomorrow what the situation is and when he might be ready. Sorry folks.