Ford Bronco II Transmission

Orange Broncoii

I have a 1984 Bronco II. The Tranny went out and it is the FM146. I have the 2.8 also. What Transmissions could I use in this without doing any fabrication or modifying?

dustybronco

www.sextonoffroad.com
You need to replace it with a FM146, A FM145 is 2" shorter. there are a couple of better options but they require some modifications.

spencevans

Overlander
If you had a 1984 then it should be an FM145 not the FM146. This is a picture of my FM145. While 2 inches shorter than the FM146 they share the same internals so the FM146 is not an upgrade. If you notice the shifter is at the rear of the transmission on the FM145, on the FM146 you will notice the shifter appears to be further forward but that just because it is longer.

While other trannies like the Toyo Kogyo/Mazda TK4 and TK5 are a direct swap and they will work, I think the FM145 is your best option, because I am guessing that is what you currently have in your Bronco II. I also believe the FM145 is a better transmission than the Toyo Kogyo. Ford also felt the same way because they were more inclined to put the Mitsubishi FM145 behind the V6 engines while the TK5 was often mated to the 4 cylinder engines with lower output.

Something else you may want to consider adding a Tuff Pan to reduce transmission twist/flex. These pans make the transmission much more ridged and this greatly increases the life of the transmission, not to mention it can take a hit from a rock or two on the trail.

If you have any questions feel free to call me and I will do my best to help.

Spence
801-722-5517
435-227-0569

http://www.tuffpans.com/

4789479330_1a97bf0361_b.jpg

Last edited:

Orange Broncoii

So I will need to get a longer rear driveline and a shorter front driveline but it should just bold strait in???? Also it does have the FM146 cause I thought it should also have the FM145 but it does not.

spencevans

Overlander
So I will need to get a longer rear driveline and a shorter front driveline but it should just bold strait in???? Also it does have the FM146 cause I thought it should also have the FM145 but it does not.

It does really matter if it has the FM145 or the FM146, I would just replace it with the same tranny because they use different driveshafts and a different crossmember. If you have the FM146 then someone in the past swapped out your FM145 for an FM146 in the past. The FM146 was not offered in the Bronco II until 1988. Previous to 1988 almost all Bronco II used FM145.

My opinion is, pull it, have it rebuilt, and pop it back in. A rebuild should cost about $400-500 as long a the main shaft is good.

Orange Broncoii

So the FM146 is the stronger Trans? Also what would I need to take if I had to go to the FM145? I haven't been able to even find the FM146 in any Bronco II I have ever looked at. They are always the little FM145.

spencevans

Overlander
The FM145 and FM146 are equal in strength because they share the same internals. An FM146 out of an 88-91 Ranger will also work, they are the same as the FM146 found in the Bronco II.