bubble in my block from draining my radiator?

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
I have heard that you can get bubbles in your block when you drain your radiator and the result is that your engine runs hot/overheats. I think this has happened to me. It was running fine until I cracked my radiator and had to "glue" it back together. I filled it back up but it overheats. When I keep the cap off and give it a little gas I can see the fluid level lower and when I stop revving the motor it goes back to full. Is this the symptom? How can I get rid of this??

Dang Jeep runs REALLY hot recently.

TIA Andrew

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
PierCed_3 said:
I have heard that you can get bubbles in your block when you drain your radiator and the result is that your engine runs hot/overheats. I think this has happened to me. It was running fine until I cracked my radiator and had to "glue" it back together. I filled it back up but it overheats. When I keep the cap off and give it a little gas I can see the fluid level lower and when I stop revving the motor it goes back to full. Is this the symptom? How can I get rid of this??

Dang Jeep runs REALLY hot recently.

TIA Andrew
What did you "glue" it with?
The dropping of the fluid level when you reve the motor is normal. I'm wondering if what ever you used to glue it with has cloged some of you passages.
Try back flushing the rad.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
How do you do that? I glued the area around where the transmission cooler is. I popped the weld on the cooler when I removed the line and had coolant leaking. I used "Gorilla" glue. It's keeping it from leaking :).

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
PierCed_3 said:
How do you do that? I glued the area around where the transmission cooler is. I popped the weld on the cooler when I removed the line and had coolant leaking. I used "Gorilla" glue. It's keeping it from leaking :).
well it sounds like you did not get any in the water area,,, so I would look at other sources. Thermostat, when the water drops can you see it move from one side of the rad to the other? It should flow away from the top inlet. This is, after the motor is up to running temp. Does the top rad hose get hot?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
When I burp my jeep I get it warm with the radiator cap off then squeeze the main radiator hoses and watch the top for bubbles or the level dropping. Some people will also fill the radiator with one of the heater hoses off slightly, or the thermostat housing loose so that air can escape. As soon as it starts to leak while filling you tighten things up and fill it up the rest of the way.
Dave

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
I haven't checked the top hose but I assume that it get's hot... considering that the guage goes up to 200 degrees pretty fast like. :D I just know that before this the Jeep didn't overheat and now it is overheating. when I say the level drops on the Radiator it means it really drops, below the fin looking things. Maybe that's because I am not testing it hot??? Actually I was testing it while it was hot..... :confused: It had just overflowed when I checked it.

Is the top the main radiator hose?

Caleb

the best way to get air out of your system is to pull up to a steep hill so the filler neck is the absolute highest point in the system, then open up the cap and top it off, you may have to let it run for a few while on the angle, this will allow the air to move and air will raise to the highest point (that being your filler neck :d)

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Pulling a heater hose off the thermostat housing while filling the radiator cold has always worked for me on my 4.0. With the 4.3 Vortec (or whatever motor for that matter), just find the highest point on the block that you can open to a coolant passage. Open it and fill it till it comes out.

Also, I've found that completely submerging the vehicle in water periodically during a trail run will keep things nice and chilly.

Jared

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
DeadEye J said:
Also, I've found that completely submerging the vehicle in water periodically during a trail run will keep things nice and chilly.

Jared

Been there.... done that... :-\ It wasn't fun :D .

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys! I appreciate it! :cool:

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
Any time you do anything with a coolant system you need to run the vehicle with the radiator cap off until the thermostat opens to release any air pockets which will keep the system from circulating. Pretty simple- always effective. I have seen a few vehicles with bleeds built in- they are strategically placed on engines/systems which are prone to air pockets.
The idea of parking the vehicle facing uphill was mentioned- run it with the radiator cap off until the thermostat opens. That usuallly works on about everything.

RockPaws

It's All About Rocks!
The best way to remove all the air from the cooling system is to use a vacume fill set up. I use a Uview #590000 tool. Sure beats the old way of filling cooling systems. Much faster and well worth the price. Also great for the cars with the radiator lower than the engine. The old way was to lift it 3 feet in the air and hope you got all the air out.
Here's where I purchased mine, also the cheapest on the web.
www.bradystools.com
direct link below
http://store.yahoo.com/bradystools/aiuv59.html