Budget offroad trailer build

The_Lobbster

Years ago, I built a teardrop to haul behind my TDI samurai. I had it about 75% finished, then decided to sell it before ever using it. Door and windows were sourced from an RV part out.

It's been almost 10 years ago now though, and I'm wanting some sort of trailer to haul behind my Yukon and Suzuki. I did a quick google search and see that some of these offroad "teardrop" campers are well over $20k USD. That being said, I'm super cheap. I don't see why a small build should cost more than $2,000.

Here's some requirements I have in mind, will update as I find more things I want/need
1. Queen size mattress, mainly because I have a good used memory foam mattress sitting around since we switched to a king size.
2. Sleeping area for my daughter, if she and my wife are both with me.
3. Diesel heater, 12vdc air conditioning if I can source a unit cheap enough, or build my own.
4. Independent suspension. Timbren makes a kit, but they're quite spendy. I've found some units in China I'm considering trying out. Or I'll possibly build my own like what is pictured below.

I've been looking around for pictures and ideas, I'm thinking that some sort of box with a used cheap or free pickup topper will be a good starting point. Here's a few pix of what I'm thinking. First pic is the old unit I built.

IMG_0714.jpeg
IMG_3089.jpegIMG_3090.jpegIMG_3091.jpegIMG_3092.jpeg

The_Lobbster

Here's the Chinese independent trailer suspension. I can't imagine it being terrible quality, seems like a huge majority of trailer parts are made overseas these days anyways. This would also probably be pretty easy to duplicate and build myself, but if the price is right, I think just ordering a couple from China would be the way to go.

IMG_3096.jpegIMG_3095.jpegIMG_3094.jpeg

The_Lobbster

Found some better looking timbren knockoffs

If price is right, perhaps I’ll order several pairs to test

IMG_3099.jpeg

IMG_3098.jpeg

IMG_3097.jpeg

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Here's the Chinese independent trailer suspension. I can't imagine it being terrible quality, seems like a huge majority of trailer parts are made overseas these days anyways. This would also probably be pretty easy to duplicate and build myself, but if the price is right, I think just ordering a couple from China would be the way to go.

View attachment 172072View attachment 172073View attachment 172074
I mean, there's made overseas and then there's made overseas. They generally do a good job of showing you pretty pics, but I've ordered stuff on Wayfair and Ali that would make your toes curl.

Be ready to deal with sending it back, is what I'm saying.

The_Lobbster

True. I’ve ordered enduro joints from China that seemed good quality.

I do know most trailer spindles, hubs, etc are made in China, so hopefully I could find a solid source.