Bug-Out vehicle prep

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
All the craziness in NC, and the potential for more major damage in FL later this week has really for me thinking about vehicle preparedness. I know the circumstances of a natural disaster in Utah are going to be very different than in other parts of the country, but these vehicles that we have built to be our “leisure-time play things” could very quickly become life saving tools to bring ourselves and our loved ones out of harms way.

Other than the obvious trail upgrades, what have you included in your build, or what gear/resources do you have that you could load up and roll out within a few minutes notice? What would be most helpful in the search&rescue/recovery portion of the natural emergency?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Nothing that I've included in the build, but I have a couple go-boxes stashed in the garage with emergency food, water purification, toiletries, etc. If Yellowstone pops or something, I figure I can grab those and some camping gear and the rifles and we can hunker down somewhere safe and stay out of the refugee camps for at least a month. Assuming that we find somewhere safe...

I think earthquake is probably our primary concern tho. And that won't have any warning, and once it's over there won't be any need to pull up stakes anyway.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Realistically, What I need to do for all my vehicles and house is get a good ham radio system. Seems like if I can’t communicate with the fam when something happens no amount of gear or kit in the vehicle is going to do me much good.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
I think earthquake is probably our primary concern tho. And that won't have any warning, and once it's over there won't be any need to pull up stakes anyway.

I agree. Earthquakes and wildfires are about as bad as I could see it getting here. Escaping a fire is just a matter of GTFO in the right direction. Earthquakes would potentially create longterm travel issues, along with downed utilities.

Maybe some freak snowstorms, but those realistically are “hunker and wait” emergencies.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
It’s not only a matter of storage, but also rotating through your supply.

I’d like to get a small inventory of 5 gallon containers, and get into the habit of dumping one in the truck every time I need gas, and then take the empty jug to fill up at the same time as the truck. Then put it at the end of the line, and use the next oldest gas the next round. It won’t cost anymore than usual once you get into the habit. And you won’t need to worry about using stabilizer if you’re in the habit of rotating through what you’ve got.

The real question though, is how much is enough? One tank per vehicle? Cause I’d be looking at 75+ gallons between my three vehicles, (36, 23, 16), and I’m not sure I want that much fuel stored on my property 💥🔥

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
In my zone - it's gonna be a bug-in situation... ain't no help for me if yellostone pops off though.

I need to consider some type of tracks for one of my vehicles in the winter and more fuel storage. Might be easier to get a couple horses.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Other than my pretty standard church-directed food storage, I just make sure my vehicles have fuel in them. I have a couple 5 and 7 gallon containers I keep in the shed with non-ethanol for the gene. I also keep the propane on the camp trailer full as it’s an integral part of my emergency prep ideology.

I’m going to go against the grain here though and say if the SHTF really hard and we’re like locked in a cellar for 4 years, I don’t want to survive the first strike. If it’s zombies, same deal. I watched a documentary called The Walking Dead and it doesn’t look that fun.

If it’s something like the people of Florida and surrounding areas WILLINGLY go through every couple of years, no sweat. It seems like the people that live in the area that constantly goes through this stuff are the least prepared… right?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I believe if Yellowstone blows, we'll be dead before we can get to the garage to drive away.

But outside of that, my graboid pen is my fallback. I think a single graboid could get my whole family all the way to the coast or to Mexico.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If it’s something like the people of Florida and surrounding areas WILLINGLY go through every couple of years, no sweat. It seems like the people that live in the area that constantly goes through this stuff are the least prepared… right?
It's pretty wild to think of a kayak or a raft as a bug-out option. Those people are a different breed. Bless them all.

ID Bronco

Nothing that I've included in the build, but I have a couple go-boxes stashed in the garage with emergency food, water purification, toiletries, etc. If Yellowstone pops or something, I figure I can grab those and some camping gear and the rifles and we can hunker down somewhere safe and stay out of the refugee camps for at least a month. Assuming that we find somewhere safe...

I have looked into this Yellowstone earthquake deal a bunch and we will have tons of heads up. It will groan and burp hundreds of times before it blows us all to kingdom come. At least every verified explosion has in the past. It will still be crazy getting supplies if this begins but I think we will have warning.

I realize this is a little off topic, but maybe not. I have had varying degrees of food storage over our married life. I always thought of an earthquake or whatever. Obviously it was helpful in the pandemic times but earlier than that it was helpful when employment was an issue for a little while. These types of preparation are far more needed for economic collapse or employment problems. Just my .02.

And I'm stashing lots of cigarettes to barter with.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
My mountain property is 45 minutes away, it has a well, solar power, a container-conversion tiny house, and propane. I’ll just need enough fuel to get there and I’ll be good for the extended camp out after the earthquake. You guys are welcome at the fire, bring jerky.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!

Yellowstone pops it will be painless and quick for us. we will be part of the crater. you won't be going camping.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I have looked into this Yellowstone earthquake deal a bunch and we will have tons of heads up. It will groan and burp hundreds of times before it blows us all to kingdom come. At least every verified explosion has in the past. It will still be crazy getting supplies if this begins but I think we will have warning.

I realize this is a little off topic, but maybe not. I have had varying degrees of food storage over our married life. I always thought of an earthquake or whatever. Obviously it was helpful in the pandemic times but earlier than that it was helpful when employment was an issue for a little while. These types of preparation are far more needed for economic collapse or employment problems. Just my .02.

And I'm stashing lots of cigarettes to barter with.
My memory tells me St Helens was a surprise.