Buggy in a tow hauler?

Family is growing and there fore so must the toys, Read through the treads about pulling doubles. My question is a 5th wheel toy hauler style trailer strong enough to carry a buggy. It's a soon the be stretched Samurai about 2500 lbs, I'm guessing a triple axle for sure just not sure about that much weight on the end. Thanx.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
All I can say is that the ramp/rear door on mine is rated at 3000 lbs. And no more than 1000 lbs per wheel. I think the frame would handle it all fine, as long as the ramp held up. How long is the Sammy gonna be when finished? My "hauler has a 14 foot garage, but they go up to 18.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
My tongue weight is 2600#, so all your buggy is going to do is help that a little being at the rear.

Pile of parts

my wife and I considered this option for a little bit. We found one manufacturer at the RV show that made a trailer with a garage space long enough for a Jeep. I think it was 16 feet. The trailer was also heavy enough to hold that weight but the overall weight was ridiculous!definitely a triple axle.

My wife and I have been shopping for a toy hauler to put my jeep in the last month or so... What I've found is that manufacturers numbers don't mean much.
14' garages are typically 13'10"ish (my jeep is 13'11" so that's a big deal for me)
Most new ones have 7k axles, but some cheap out and do 6k or even 5200... And the GVWR doesn't make any sense.
IE: Raptor tandem 7k axle hauler has 16500... Seems legit at 14000 on axles and 2500 pin.
Same brand triple 7k is 18000 GVWR... And it shows a pin weight of nearly 4k empty. I would think the GVWR should be 24000 or so.
Not sure if the manufacturers are doing this for DOT reasons, insurance... Who knows

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
We contemplated this many years ago when the toyhaulers were first coming on scene, early-90's. None at that time were even close to being able to carry the amount of weight we required. So we went a different route, we chose to go motorhome and pull an enclosed trailer. This worked great while racing and then morphed into our current setup. It may be something to consider. By the time you look at the investment of a large toyhauler and a truck to tow it safely, you are as much money as a nice little older used diesel pusher coach that will be more than capable to handle the weight. We are on our third coach and second enclosed trailer now and love it, we haul our Harley and Jeep in our 26' Haulmark Edge. I love towing the trailer behind the coach but for some trips the trailer isn't a feasible option so we flat-tow our Jeep.

I did see a guy last summer in Ouray, CO that had a 34' 5th wheel trailer and then flat-towing a really nice LJ behind that. He said it towed and handled great, but I had my reservations about it.

Mike.

joshbmx1201

UAV MECHANIC
We contemplated this many years ago when the toyhaulers were first coming on scene, early-90's. None at that time were even close to being able to carry the amount of weight we required. So we went a different route, we chose to go motorhome and pull an enclosed trailer. This worked great while racing and then morphed into our current setup. It may be something to consider. By the time you look at the investment of a large toyhauler and a truck to tow it safely, you are as much money as a nice little older used diesel pusher coach that will be more than capable to handle the weight. We are on our third coach and second enclosed trailer now and love it, we haul our Harley and Jeep in our 26' Haulmark Edge. I love towing the trailer behind the coach but for some trips the trailer isn't a feasible option so we flat-tow our Jeep.

I did see a guy last summer in Ouray, CO that had a 34' 5th wheel trailer and then flat-towing a really nice LJ behind that. He said it towed and handled great, but I had my reservations about it.

Mike.

I think the motorhome and trailer setup is way better too. I have seen a lot of friends crack the aluminum framing in there toy haulers under the flooring and behind the walls just hauling things like utv's and quads. i would be scared to put a buggy or jeep in one.

Pile of parts

The other thought I had for this type of situation was modifying one of the horse trailers that have living quarters up front. The load rating should certainly handle it. It wouldn't be up high like a toy hauler. But I'm not sure on the width and I don't think the living quarters are good for more than 1-2 people. We just ended up with a slide in camper for the truck and pull the jeep on a trailer. 9' camper claims to sleep 5 but it's tight with just me and the wife. I think the Motorhome/trailer idea is your best bet.

RenegadeR

I ran 32' fifth wheel toy-hauler without garage, with Jeep inside for about 3 years. it was a double axle and it handled the weight ok. I had a payload capacity of 4800#. There is one major drawback on all of the toy-haulers in the placement of the axles. They are too far forward to handle the weight when loaded and the fifth wheel gets a little light. Mine would slap on the rough sections between green river and moab. Not good for trailers or hitches. The loaded weight was also a bit of a challenge for anything but a 1 ton dually or larger. I then went to a slide in the bed camper and trailer but the campers are way too small. I would agree with some of the above in using motorhome and trailer. I currently have a f550 flatbed with 28' bunkhouse trailer that I really like. Working on 6.0 to cummins swap to get rid of the motor issues. Good luck on your search.