Building a Backyard Shop. Your Ideas are Welcome!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
We just found a house to purchase and it has the perfect spot in the backyard for a shop. This is not a 100% going to happen deal, yet, but close. I pretty much know how I want it...It's been in my head for ten years. Below is my ultimate wish list. I really want to be involved in the building of this thing. I built a large shed one time and really enjoyed it. I'd like to learn more about this kind of work.

So, what are things that you would want to have in your perfect shop?

Is anyone on here capable of doing any portion of this work? I would pay cash or trade for weld/fab/repair work.

- 30 ft wide by 40 deep, or maybe just 24 wide by 40 deep.
- roof and siding to match the house.
- 13 foot high ceiling with can lights with led flood lights installed. maybe 10 lights total.
- concrete floor strong enough to bolt a car lift to, also shinny smooth. I would like the concrete to be raised about 6 inches where the walls will bolt to it, to prevent water,ect from coming in.
- On the east facing 30 ft wide wall, there will be one 12 wide x 10 high garage door. I'm open to a different size and either roll up or a standard door. Power or manual. Also, next to it will be a steel, high security man door.
- Electric, gas and water brought in.
- A water drain in front of the garage door, for draining water during shop floor clean out. Might tie into the shop sink drain.
- I have an over head hoist that I have used in my last two home garages. I have used several 4x4's to support the trusses above the garage. It has worked great to support about 1000 pounds. I would like to be able to still use this. Ideally mounted in the center of the shop ceiling. Not sure if 30 foot long trusses could support that weight.
- Ceiling and walls fully insulated and dry walled. I don't think it would need to be mudded, just taped and then a bright white paint applied.
- 2 or 3 windows on the north facing 40 foot wall.
- 1 240 volt plug in the middle of both 40 foot walls on 60 amp breakers.
- 110 volt quad plugs spaced evenly around the shop. 30 (?) amp breakers.
- A flood light on each corner of the east wall outside, shining on the driveway.
- A flood light on each corner of the north wall outside, shining on the back yard
- A water spout on the east side wall, on the outside.
- 110 volt outlet on the east side wall, outside.
- Heater. Not to concerned about a/c.

what am i missing and anyone capable of helping? I have roofer, electrician, and concrete buddies that might help. Any framers?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I think you have it covered. I built a 25x40 with 10 ft walls and love it. I store lots of bikes and motorcycles and it is my only garage. If I did it again I would build 14 ft walls with a bonus room or mezanine in the back half to use for storage. Plan where you will put your main work bench and put 10 outlets on 2 circuits all around it.

I am going to paint the Sheetrock with exterior paint when I'm finished. Then you can spray it down with a hose!! Stole that one but it sounds like a great idea.

Cascadia

Undecided
I am a framer and that's what 90% of my business is. We actually just set trusses on a 34x42' shop today in Provo. This homeowner will also have a hoist mounted to his trusses. It is possible to do. You will just have a girder (multiple trusses nailed together) for that section. This garage also has a bonus room upstairs about 7'6" tall. The span was so much for a bonus truss that each truss weighed 680 lbs. pretty ridiculous. This garage also had 12' walls, a man door in the front and rear, 4 windows, and a large 12x10 door opening. Let me know if you need help figuring anything out in that aspect.

rondo

rondo
Cascadia, would love to see a pic of what you built. i'm planning a shop here where I live (now) as well. in addition to the above i'm thinking rv parking inside with a loft upstairs for storage and maybe stairs on the outside so as to not take up space inside. the garage journal board (website) has been invaluable. :)

Rock Taco

I would add air distribution, a toilet and surround sound. I would probably just put in small windows up high (to let in light/air but avoid damage) also to not take up wall space.

I would also use a roll up door so you dont have it hanging inside the shop when up. Maybe a 240 outlet by the door for any welding you might need to do outside.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
Ill try and get some pics tomorrow. This garage is actually cinder block walls with j bolts, 2 green plates bolted to that. It's the first cinder block garage I've ever done. Seems nice and insulated and quiet but I don't think it'd be as easy to set up the garage, it'd be more time consuming, expensive, and harder to make look good on the outside.

I have built probably 12-15 other garages. One thing ill do on mine is I will put a shed off the back of it that is attached to the garage to keep all the lawn stuff in. A garage I was in last week had 2 concrete walls inside with a steel door. It was a gun room.

pELYgroso

'Merica
The previous owners here insulated the shop and then sheeted the inside with 7/16 osb. I never would have thought of that, but I'll never have a shop or garage again without it! So nice to screw a hook into anyplace on the wall, or put a small shelf up without having to stress so much about hitting studs (unless it needs to hold lots of weight) or put up a peg board without worrying about finding studs....highly recommend this!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'll recommend having your overhead hoist movable, not just fixed in the center. Fixed I'm sure is useful, but my track dealio is really nice. Even nicer would be a gantry setup where it could move over the majority of your space. You might PM "Bob B" on here, he has one that he might decide he's not going to use.

I also REALLY like having my air compressor nowhere near where I can hear it, and quick-connect outlets where I need them. I also use the air hose reel a lot more than I expected to.

Caleb

Heated floor would be nice, but probably not practical in a shop. Reality is, at some point, you'll likely end up bolting something to the floor of your shop (bender, snatch block, bolting tools down, etc) and no matter the type of heated flooring, there's a chance you could hit it and ruin it.

The overhead hoist as Carl described would be extremely nice. Air reels, hard airlines, and remote (outside of shop in it's own shack) compressor would all be must haves for me. Also, you mentioned lighting outside but don't overlook lots and lots of lighting inside, skip the led can lights...they don't put off nearly enough light for a shop. My parents have something like 20+ led can lights in their family room/dining room with 8' ceilings and it's still dim in there. Rather than a shiny smooth floor, I'd personally do a broom finish and then do an epoxy coating. Having a broomed finish will make the epoxy adhere like nothing else. Keeping an epoxied floor clean and looking good is tons easier then keeping a concrete floor in good shape.

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Some ideas I have seen that I like..

Have a chain cemented in to the ground, and kept inside a pipe level with the floor. it gives you an anchor point if needed to bend a frame back, or any other reason you want it held down..

A pit would be pretty cool also.. just a concrete hole big enough to stand in, and then cover it up when not in use. make a lot of repairs easier..

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I thought about a pit but decided against it for a couple reasons. In 90% of the maint I do, you need the wheels off the ground to access brakes, ball joints, wheel bearings or steering components. A pit is no use in those situations. Pretty much a fluid change aid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Some good ideas here.

-My current 4 car garage only has 3 single bulbs in it for lighting. So anything will be better then what I have now. My main thing is I want a flat ceiling. Would florescent bulbs be a better way to go?
-I had epoxy floor in my last garage. I really liked it. Dont know why I didn't think of it. I'll be sure to add that.
-I really like the idea of a gantry and have thought a lot about it. I would have to raise my ceiling height to get it to fit over the lift. I think the cost will be prohibitive. I think my best best will be an A-frame that I can roll around the shop as needed. It just doesn't pack away nice for storage.
-Heated floors? Then my wife would make me get them for the house. Not going to happen.
-Pits are nice, but then you have a huge hole that messes up your floor space. I'll just use the lift.
-I plan on having air set up along one wall with reels in both corners. That will cover the whole shop, plus the driveway. My compressor is very quiet, for a compressor and is small enough to box it in to keep it quieter.
-Not sure what you mean on air distribution? I do think it would be cool to have a large powered vent in one spot. Then I could curtain off that section and have kind of a make shift paint booth. I like the idea of no overspray every where.
-I have a large shed in the backyard already to store lawn gear, bikes, ect. This will be a dedicated shop. No storage. No clutter. I can't stand it.
-I will do some industrial type white paint, so that it can be washed easy. It should also make the shop a lot brighter, with fewer lights. Is there any reason to mud the walls?
-The toilet will be about 30 feet away, inside the house. It would be cool though to have my own washer and dryer out there to throw my coveralls into. Keep my wife happier too!

Is it going to be cheaper to hire a general contractor and just them go to town on it, or should I try to hire each group of workers? I have friends that are professionals in their fields: sheet rock, electrician, roofer. I called Steve, the concrete guy that was recommended in a previous thread. He sounded really good. I think I just need a framer.

Thanks for all your input guys.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
The only good idea I have for you is to put it in my backyard!! =)

One thing my buddy did thats super convenient is pegboard. Its mostly used for open end wrenches. It makes finding the tools super easy and putting them away just as easy.

Im really really REALLY jealous. I looked into putting one in my backyard but with Clinton city code it was going to be to small to bother. Im currently looking for a home with a shop already there

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I got a quote yesterday from a company in utah county for a metal building. The girl on the phone was a complete idiot. I can only hope it was her first day on the job. She was trying to sell me this thing and didn't know the difference between a fabricated truss or I-beam. Her quote for just the shell was $23k. That seamed high to me. I have two main problems right now with metal buildings: I really want the shop to look like my house, which a metal building may or may not do. And I really want to talk to someone about it and not just fill out a quote page on a website. Is there a local company that will come out to the house and talk about options with me? I'd like to walk around your shop sometime if you are around, Kurt.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Give Sherm at Erectors West a call, he built my building, poured pad, etc. Very good to work with. Your welcome to come check it out, I'm around during the week and off/on weekends.

LT.

Celing fans. The Utah summer heat and humidity is wicked. In the winter you can move some of the warm air near the celing back down. Personally I would want some heat for the long winters. A pellet stove, wood burning stove, used oil burner, something. If you want a hoist then figure where you want it and pour the footings. Then I would really give some thought to a loft of something along those lines. Somewhere to store your parts away from the working area. I don't know about the idea for a pit or a crane. This is a home shop not a professional shop but, how about a large "A" frame on castors. That way it can be moved anywhere you want it, and stored out of the way. Plus, you could build it out of some tubing and take it with you when you move again.

LT.