Building a Frame? Anyone done this? Or part of one?

koondawg

I am extending my rear wheel base about 18 inches(go ahead laugh). I want to build the rear frame to do this. Has anyone built a frame? My main question is how do I do the Bends, where the axle is?

koondawg

Thanks, but I do not have a pipe bender otherwise I would get crazy with it and tube out the whole rear! I am going to construct it with 2x4x3/16.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
3/16" is overkill. Your frame is probably only 1/8"
Go look at the two buggies they are building at Rock logic. They are both being built on a square tube frame.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Hickey said:
3/16" is overkill. Your frame is probably only 1/8"
Go look at the two buggies they are building at Rock logic. They are both being built on a square tube frame.
Look at using 120 wall.

koondawg

Really?

only 1/8? I just did not want to have any troubles in the future. but thaks for the input. I think I found out how to do it the easiest and strongest way.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
koondawg said:
only 1/8? I just did not want to have any troubles in the future. but thaks for the input. I think I found out how to do it the easiest and strongest way.
What problems could be in the future? Look at you current frame, what is it? "C" Channel 120 wall........? ;) Your are actually building it stronger using the "boxed" tubing.. :p

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I'm building a buggy with a 2x4 square tube frame. Figure out the angles you need the frame to bend at (sketch it to scale on paper and stick a protractor on it, if you can't think of any other way), take your 2x4 tube (.120 wall, BTW) and cut a nice straight cut (I used a bandsaw) through the tube at HALF the angle. Then take your now two peices of tube, and flip one of them upside down. Weld. It's not really hard. It took me one day to build and fully weld both my frame rails (the full length of the buggy) with four bends each, and weld the two together with a couple crossmembers. Let me know if you have any questions or need anything clarified. :)

Here is a picture of what my frame looks like. Is that kinda what you're looking for?

frame5sr.jpg

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
summit racing sells pieces of pre bent frame rails for the cicle track guys if you want to check that out too

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I have an old wagoneer frame that no one seems to want. You could come and chop out anything on it that might help you out. By the way stock frames are made out of high carbon steel and you should be carefull how you weld on to them or you can make them vulnerable to cracking.
Dave

Last edited: