Building a mini ramp in the backyard.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
we used to chain a PVC pipe across both transitions. Worked well.

That is a great idea! :)

Wish i could make it. got chores to do and i cracked a rib in moab. cant breathe.

good luck and remember video!

Cracked ribs suck, why did you do that for?
Are you done with chores? Come help paint!

That must not be a 12g, or she is waaaay more stable than she appears to be..

It's a 12 gauge. She's pretty tough.

I'd be down to come help a night or two this week if you need help with it....

Cool, I'd appreciate that. I'll PM you my info. I'll likely work on painting, so if you're willing to wield a brush or roller, come hang out.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So I got 4 hours of painting done tonight, despite the wind and cold.
Luckily the paint will cure down to 35*F and it's been hovering around 42*F (even now at 9:20pm).

I went through 2 gallons and am into my 3rd gallon. I'll likely just use this paint/ stain as waterproofing everywhere and paint another color over it on the visible areas since it doesn't cover terribly well.

I'm about 65%- 70% done painting

I found the assembly instructions

I should have it finished painting tomorrow morning and start assembly provided the weather holds out.

If anyone wants to come up and help, you are welcome to :thumbs:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Assembly progress

IMG_20131123_142731_193-1_zpsa4e2d495.jpg

IMG_20131123_142752_307-1_zpse5595a11.jpg

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
When I was a wee kid my dad built us a half pipe. It was 8' tall, 16' wide, and 40' long. It was pretty big..

Not that has anything to do with your thread, but I was reminiscing so you got stuck listening.

Tonkaman

When I was a wee kid my dad built us a half pipe. It was 8' tall, 16' wide, and 40' long. It was pretty big..

Not that has anything to do with your thread, but I was reminiscing so you got stuck listening.

Holy crap! I hate to break it to you, but I think your dad was trying to kill you. Watch your back...

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
The coping has holes drilled in it and they are larger on the front for the screw heads to pass through. It is rotated down so the holes are nearly covered when the decking is on.

how thick is that plywood, and how many layers will there be?

The plywood is 1/4" I think, there are two layers and a topsheet of masonite. Edit 3/8"

Last edited:

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
That won't cut it. You need at least 3/8 inch plywood. There will be way to much flex and break down in the 1/4 inch. My ramp had three layers of 5/8" ext plywood. It lasted 12 years with only having to change the Masonite twice. It was very heavily used. The dimensions were 10 1/2' radius, 1l feet of flat, 18" of vert and 24' wide. Our cross ribs were just under 48" wide places at 12" centers. Those ribs were also supported at 24".
Flex is death for ply wood.
I have built many ramps, and in my experience 1/4" has never held up. Just my .02 cents worth.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I was mistaken they are 3/8." Cross ribs are 8" on center. Supports at 4'.
This ramp was from an athlete training facility and it is legit.
We finished it yesterday. I just haven't been in front of a computer to post a full build report.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So yesterday we got started around 11:30am.
The wind was pretty ridiculous.
Jake came over and we finished painting all the stuff we couldn't get to later and started assembly.
My neighbor helped the two of us move the big pieces into place.
While shimming and leveling all the pieces, Derek and his family showed up and we got to work screwing all the framing together.
The first two layers took a while to get all the spacing lined up but we got them really clean.
With the first layer done, the work lights came out. I hate that it starts getting dark at 4:30pm!
Derek had to leave a little after sunset and we got the second layer done. I wish I had taken a photo!
We took a little break and the wife hooked us up with some pizza and breadsticks and Cheston came over just as the food arrived ;)
Jake couldn't resist skating it a little with just plywood before he bounced, lucky!
I decided to hold back my excitement until we finished, so Cheston and I tackled the masonite layer. That dude is fast with the drill!

The masonite went really fast and we worked quickly until we ran out of screws.
He had to go home and I grabbed 5 more pounds of 2" screws and finished the remaining sheets of masonite under the lights!

We went through 8 lbs of screws :eek:

First drop in last night

I skated it a bit then decided to start painting the backs of the decking before I quit a little after 9pm.

What a great day! Lots of hard work from some great friends!
Thanks guys!

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Here it is in the daylight with 1 thick coat of the white outdoor deck/ fence stain/ paint whatever.

What color should I paint it?

My neighbors think it's cool so far. Except for the backdoor neighbor's chihuahua... it freaks out at almost any noise haha.

Last edited: