Bureau of Land “Management” going after the swell now

Pile of parts

I’ll have some more info on this later this week. I am mainly focused on the single track we use for racing Alternative B, the BLMs preferred alternative closes 150 miles of singltrack.
Well, the BLM presented 3 alternatives for Moab and then didn't choose any of them when they made the closure. So, I'm not sure what good it does for them to present options and do what they want anyway. I'm leaning towards the bolt cutter and cut off wheel camp to access PUBLIC lands.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Well, the BLM presented 3 alternatives for Moab and then didn't choose any of them when they made the closure. So, I'm not sure what good it does for them to present options and do what they want anyway. I'm leaning towards the bolt cutter and cut off wheel camp to access PUBLIC lands.
Under the current national BLM director it is evident that the final decision on what will come out of it is not dependent on input from the local FO or the public comments.

J Kimmel

So when it inevitably goes to court they can say “we presented the public with options and the legally required comment period”

Reality is they don’t care. They want everything closed.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
It doesn't change anything but I got a ticket for expired ohv registration today. "Mayest I have the Lord's permission to useth the Lord's land?"
DNR does absolutely nothing with their pirated money in that area and he was generally a cool guy but it almost boiled my blood to hear him explaining to my 3 year old how "his job is to keep people safe" and he carries a taser to shoot "bad dogs."
On top of the fact the BLM has told the Wizards M/C that in order to obtain a race permit next year they'll have to pay a $6,000-$8,000 "environmental mitigation fee."
They've raced in the same spot for 41 years and suddenly now it's damaging the environment???
Meanwhile they continue to pave and cover every square into the desert with homes and sod.
It's all about the money no more no less 🤑

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
That is pretty concerning. I hope to get some time tonight or tomorrow night to go over those routes a bit. I like the little spurs vs a huge parking lot at the end. It provides for all kinds of mixed uses especially in that specific area. I don't remember "needing" 4x4 to get to those areas.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
This is ugly.

@Cody, for example check out popular spots along the Mexican Mtn Road east of Swinging Bridge. Close 10 and see how popular that last one will be :eek:

View attachment 170139
That's so lame. Seriously, those roads and campsites have probably 80 years or more of continued use. Sure, they are kind of being over-loved, but closing because the BLM doesn't want to manage them is super lame.

lhracing

This is ugly.

@Cody, for example check out popular spots along the Mexican Mtn Road east of Swinging Bridge. Close 10 and see how popular that last one will be :eek:

View attachment 170139

Thay are almost completely closing all access to the river. Is there a specific reason for this or is it just part of the master plan to close it all down.

The 30 by 30 conservation initiative has got to be stopped, vote carefully in November.

OrangeSkidPlate

I can not recall off the top of my head how many BLM offices were in the SUWA lawsuit but I remember seeing something about Price being involved. If you read through a few of the documents on the ePlanning website, they discuss one scoping period they had with 1800ish comments, 1400 of them being from SUWA. Hate the be the bearer of bad news but the current leadership in the WH is pushing to get as many TMP (travel management plans) done before a potential administration change. In the last few months there has been a big push for closures in the Owyhee's and Southern Wyoming. Based on what I have seen working for the BLM, especially in the last few years, the green and conservation movement is going to get pushed through despite comments from the public. There has even been huge opposition from the tribes too, doesn't seem to make a difference. Enjoy it while its here and donate to the people that will fight it in court.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I spoke with Ben Burr of BRC for a while at the off-road expo. We need to be scouting the red routes at the first of this post. Post about them on social media and tag BRC. Also send your comments to Ben and BRC. They can use these stories to show that we are significantly impacted by closures. At the very least it's enjoying them while we can and documenting what is there now.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I'm not a smart man, I'm having a bit of trouble finding some of these routes on my map because why would you be allowed to get coordinates off their map. Allegedly you can pull an export file off these. Any of you smart guys able to figure this out?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'm not a smart man, I'm having a bit of trouble finding some of these routes on my map because why would you be allowed to get coordinates off their map. Allegedly you can pull an export file off these. Any of you smart guys able to figure this out?
I'm digging, usually you can see the queries in the browser console (dev stuff)
Found this so far:
Another problem is ArcGIS likes to return their lat/lng in a strange format. You have to convert the coordinates but it will usually let you do that in the query. My ArcGIS/ESRI skills are a little rusty... I'll try some more tomorrow.