Buying a slightly used SUV or Truck

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
With the addition of the CJ to the family I am looking to sell or trade-in my 5.9L Grand Cherokee for something a bit bigger and better for towing. My criteria are:

1. Under ~20K
2. "Decent" gas milage for daily commuting of 25 miles each way to work
3. Ability to carry at least 5 people.
4. Reliability
5. Can flat tow (until I get the trailer) a modified CJ and gear and passengers with out puckering my sphincter.
6. At least kind of fun to drive

I have been thinking of a new body Tahoe, Durango (kind of ugly), or a new body Ram 1500/2500. I am open to opinions and may have to try a Sequoia due to the positive comments it got in the other "Buying a SUV" thread. My Grand is fun as hell to drive and is an ass rocket (for a SUV) with the mods but I know its not up to the towing duty.

Thanks,
Jason

RockPaws

It's All About Rocks!
My perfered tow vehicle is one of the new Dodge club cab with the 600 Cummins diesel and the 6 speed trans. Next is the Chevrolet Truck Duramax.
Sure makes towing easy, and great mileage and power.

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
Have heard that Durango's drink like a fish, while the Chev/GMC FULLSIZE rigs are rumored to do better.

Seqouia?
Lease return Armada/ Traiblazer/ Envoy?

I dunno, I drive a Ford, so my opinion might not matter.

Jay5.9L

I know the CTD 600 is a bad ass towing machine but it may a bit too much for a daily driver. PLus the cost will be way over my comfort zone. I liked the Armada alot when I did a test drive but then again its up there as well. Anyone have a 2001 Tahoe Z71? It looks like a good compermise between towing/comfort/price.

Houndoc

I picked up my 03 Montero Sport with 17k miles for about $16,000 last fall. Gets about 18-19 mpg (I do 85 miles/day round trip). Has a 5,000 tow rating, but I have not tried anything that heavy yet. Towing could be your only problem.

Jay5.9L

I know I can get any decent mid size SUV (Grand Cherokee, 4runner, Exploder, etc) for the upper teens but they all don't have the towing capacity. I know the CJ weighs in around 4000 lbs but even with a smaller SUV with a capacity of 6,500 lbs like the Grand its dicey.

Houndoc

Jay5.9L said:
I know I can get any decent mid size SUV (Grand Cherokee, 4runner, Exploder, etc) for the upper teens but they all don't have the towing capacity. I know the CJ weighs in around 4000 lbs but even with a smaller SUV with a capacity of 6,500 lbs like the Grand its dicey.

Personally, I think alot of people use over kill on tow ratings. With a trailer with brakes, I have no hesitation to push the tow limit. My Dad tows a 22 foot boat (4,500 or so pounds) to Lake Powell with his GC with the 4.0 and I have towed the same boat behind an xj.

Yes you are better off having too much then too little capacity, but does it take a 10k rating to tow 5k?

Jay5.9L

Houndoc said:
Personally, I think alot of people use over kill on tow ratings. With a trailer with brakes, I have no hesitation to push the tow limit. My Dad tows a 22 foot boat (4,500 or so pounds) to Lake Powell with his GC with the 4.0 and I have towed the same boat behind an xj.

Yes you are better off having too much then too little capacity, but does it take a 10k rating to tow 5k?

Good point. That is why I believe a 3/4 ton truck will be too much for occasional towing duty. BUt yes I rahter have more then less for safety sake. Anyone here have a ~2001 Tahoe? I like to look of the Z71s and they are coming down to my price range.

tv_larsen

Houndoc said:
does it take a 10k rating to tow 5k?

Clearly not, but towing a load at or near your factory maximum rating is no fun, and the tow rig won't last as long. A 4k lb CJ and the eventual trailer can reach a total of 6k lbs. Do-able in a 1/2 ton, but enjoyable in a 3/4 ton.

KToy

mytruck and trailer wiegh in at 6000 pounds and the tundra pulled it no problems and the sequioa is doing it just fine. and i have no trailer brakes hooked up yet.

the tundra didnt need them.. the sequioa does need them but its doable... and plus the vehicle wont last as long you say... what happend to warranty and who owns there cars long enough to find out on this board anyways... i know i dont.

Jeeptj98

Jay5.9L said:
Good point. That is why I believe a 3/4 ton truck will be too much for occasional towing duty. BUt yes I rahter have more then less for safety sake. Anyone here have a ~2001 Tahoe? I like to look of the Z71s and they are coming down to my price range.

How much are you selling yours for my buddy is selling his. Z71 Tahoe

Jay5.9L

I'm not sure how much I would sell mine for. It has a lot of upgrades and is in fantastic condition. What year/color/price is your friend's Tahoe?