Buying metal

redrussell

Where is the best place to buy metal for making stuff. Looking for a bunch of rectangular and square tubing as well as sheets of plate. Tubing will be as big as 4"x8" chunks. Building heavy duty bumpers, skids and grill guards for some work trucks. 3/16 is plenty heavy enough for work bumpers would people agree? or do we really need to step it up to 1/4? These will be bumper for cattle working trucks.

boogie_4wheel

I go to Wasatch Steel on 3300 S for all my mild steel purchasing needs. You can also price out your order using their website; pick your tube (round or square), your angle, your flatbar, tread plate, sheet, channel, whatever you are going to get, and the thickness, and it shows the weight per foot and price per foot.

Their parking lot is a bit on the small side, and can be difficult when some jackass in his mini truck wads up the whole side parking so he can get picket fence toppers and you're there with truck & trailer...

I went to SSS Steel once, what a hassle trying to get a sheet of 3/16". Wasatch is very convenient for me, it's usually quick and it is on my way home from work.

redrussell

Liking washable a lot right now, of the things i need are on discount right now. Don't have some of the big stuff I need but i haven't called them yet either.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
SSS typically has better prices than Wasatch, but are much slower to get your stuff to you...so plan accordingly.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I used to go to Wasatch, then SSS came around and I haven't been back. I like dealing with the people more and having the remnants not be all rusty is a perk.