Buying My First Dirt Bike

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Let me start by saying I don't have much experience on motorcycles.

I am going to get a bike and start a new hobby. the last thing I need is a new hobby, but since when has that ever stopped me :).

I weigh 240lbs and am 6' tall. I am looking for trail riding mostly. I would like it to be street legal. I think I am leaning toward a 4 stroke.

Some bikes I am looking at are
XR 400
WR450
and thats it so far:).

This will be my first bike I have ever owned. I am thinking I want a cheap bike to start with that might not be enough bike for me in the long run. I can always sell it and buy a bigger big in a year or a few months when I outgrow this one.

Did I miss anything? Any suggestions?

My budget is about 2000, but I could go double that if it is worth it. I am thinking any bike will be better than my skills require.

If you have a bike that might work for me let me know.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Wohoooo! Another RME riding buddy!!

You can't loose with a WR450 for trail riding, if you have ANY possible interest in doing the least bit of road riding, a DRZ is a good option too.

The XR400 was an amazing bike back in the day, IMO it would be the perfect Bug Out Bike... but low performance, air cooled... basically old-school. The WR450 it miles ahead in terms of technology and performance over the XR400.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I think both the xr400 and wr450 are great suggestions. :D

the person that suggested them is a genius.

Wohoooo! Another RME riding buddy!!

You can't loose with a WR450 for trail riding, if you have ANY possible interest in doing the least bit of road riding, a DRZ is a good option too.

The XR400 was an amazing bike back in the day, IMO it would be the perfect Bug Out Bike... but low performance, air cooled... basically old-school. The WR450 it miles ahead in terms of technology and performance over the XR400.

How does the maintenance on the two bikes compare?

Caleb

the person that suggested them is a genius.

How does the maintenance on the two bikes compare?

The wr has maintenance cycles that are super long for the type of bike it is. If I were you, I'd look at the wr or the drz as Greg suggested. The wr will be more trail oriented that you can take on any trail (single track, two track, desert, etc) as well as being able to cruise down the road on. I don't think the drz will be quite as nimble but will handle the road a bit better.

Caleb

Another bike to look at is the Honda CRF450x and CRF250X

Also don't rule out the WR250 4 strokes.

Aaron had a street legal 2001 and it was great.
the 450x is much higher maintenance than the wr, yet performance is similar. I owned a 450x and loved it, but personally would not own another.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
XR400 is a great bullet proof air cooled option if you can find one. I would love an old XR

If you go for a WR450 shoot for 07 or newer to get the lighter frame, and they are getting old enough now that the prices aren't bad.

Could also look at the older 426's, little heavier but will fit into your budget better

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
... How does the maintenance on the two bikes compare?

The WR450 is easy, considering it's a high-performance bike. Engines & transmissions that are simply bulletproof and seem to last forever with minimal maintenance and occasional valve clearance checks.

I don't know much about the XR400, but it should be similar. The WR450 has 5 valves while the XR400 has 4.

The XR400 *could* be a great bike for a beginner, to be honest with you... if you can find one that hasn't been hammered. IMO the WR450 can be a bit intimidating for a newer rider, lots of power and it carries it's weight up high. You may be better off starting with a cheaper XR400 and work your way up to the WR450, if you're still liking it at that point.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
the 450x is much higher maintenance than the wr, yet performance is similar. I owned a 450x and loved it, but personally would not own another.

Jon has had his for 4 almost 5 years now. He used it as a commuter for most of college and he is a really really aggressive hill-climber and he hasn't even had to do the valves yet. Last time he and I checked them they were still in spec. I really enjoy riding that bike, it's a real tractor compared to mine.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
This is all pretty intimidating to me. Valve clearance checks, endline specs on the rotary girder, I am glad I have RME to help me learn about all this stuff.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I know it will be a shock to everyone, but I recommend a 2 stroke. The street legal thing gets a bit more tricky though..

Rock Taco

I know you said you would like it to be street legal but... I have a 2009 Honda CRF 450R for sale. I'm asking $3900 obo. It has low hours and FMF Q4 pipe and a Works Connection Skid plate and Acerbis hand guards. You could always convert it to street legal.

IMAG1156.jpgIMAG1157.jpgIMAG1158.jpg

jentzschman

This is all pretty intimidating to me. Valve clearance checks, endline specs on the rotary girder, I am glad I have RME to help me learn about all this stuff.

This is one reason I went 2T. However, The WR450 is very easy to work on to check the valves. If you want one that is even easier KTM is the way to go. However they will be more money. The KTM has a simple hex head to adjust the valves. But I hear they will need it at sooner intervals then the wr450. When I get a 4T it will be a wr450 most likely as they simple bulletproof as others have mentioned.

I know it will be a shock to everyone, but I recommend a 2 stroke. The street legal thing gets a bit more tricky though..

^ this. A 2T is not street legal friendly. With that said, I plan on at some point to do it to mine so I can ride connecting roads at various times just in case to have a little peace of mind from the fuzz.

So I would recommend a 4T for your needs. When I was looking 4T it was between the WR450 and the KMT EXC machines.

Good luck and yes, it is great to have the RME family around. Nothing short of amazing advice and never in a mean, condescending way.

Caleb

I know you said you would like it to be street legal but... I have a 2009 Honda CRF 450R for sale. I'm asking $3900 obo. It has low hours and FMF Q4 pipe and a Works Connection Skid plate and Acerbis hand guards. You could always convert it to street legal.

View attachment 81497View attachment 81498View attachment 81499

2009 R, first year of the Fi right? Or was that 2010? Also the first year they went to a smaller tank regulated by EPA restrictions. That would be a fun bike, kind of high strung though.

Rock Taco

2009 R, first year of the Fi right? Or was that 2010? Also the first year they went to a smaller tank regulated by EPA restrictions. That would be a fun bike, kind of high strung though.

Yes its fuel injected and lots of fun!