Buying My First Dirt Bike

D

Deleted member 12904

How can you tell the difference between the s and e models?

The drz400k kickstart only so this one is obvious.

Drz400e This one has electric start only but a kick start kit is offered through Suzuki for around $200 and can be added with the electric start. This bike comes with some of the performance upgrades like the mukuni carb and no emissions controls. The stator isn't as high output as the S model but it's plenty to run anything you would need for off road bike. Mine is geared plus two in the rear sprocket and can still hit 85 MPh on GPS and has tons of low gear torque which makes it super simple the ride on tight singletrack especially for its weight. My only complaint with my drz is it's not super sporty feeling. I kind of think of it like a diesel truck they have the power and the torque but it's far from a sports car. That's why I picked up my YZ 250 so I can have the Cadillac and the Corvette.

Drx400s Electric Start only Different sub frame that weighs more I think they may even have a metal gas tank but im not 100% on that. This bike comes geared much taller from the factory so you can cruise 65 miles per hour without the engine being rapped out. Imo This bike is a waste on all fronts it's a horrible off road bike its not a great street bike.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

D

Deleted member 12904

So a DRZ-E would be the way to go then, at least as far as DRZ's are concerned.

Thats what I think. You can find them in good condition for $2k or less. There's reliable is anything else out there. This smooth power makes it easy to ride on the trailstart and they can be made Street legal with very little effort

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

rholbrook

Vintage Iron
Honda XR, Vintage Iron I will call it. Good dependable bike, won't get stung with it, won't lose any money when you sell it. Great trail bike but it is vintage technology. DRZ350, same thing. DRZ400, great bike, heavy and vintage suspension. The Kawasaki KLX 400 is the same bike as the DRZ400. Motor is very capable and runs good. If you want to spend more time on the road, this may be the one for you. I would get a DRZ 400 over an XR any day. Motor is new technology, they run good, valves stay put and it will cruise on the highway at 65 with out problem.

New Iron
Any of the new 450 bikes have good suspension but they are wound tighter then the ones above. Out of this group, the WR is the way to go. The others require more maintenance. Valve adjusting, easy, time between adjusting, WR wins. Its just a great bike, not that the others are not, its just the WR will last longer. If you do blow one up, the Honda is the cheapest to rebuild. Heads can be boght for $500 and it has one cam. Yamaha heads are $1K and have two cams and 5 valves. Chances of any of them blowing up for how you will ride them will be slim.

If you are afraid of the horsepower of a 450, don't twist the throttle as much or as fast. There is no substitute for displacement.

I would stay away from the track bikes, YZ, CRF's etc. Too high strung, terrible gearing for trail riding, yes you can ride them on trails but its harder. Need flywheel weights different sprockets, etc. If a track is where you ride, by all means, get one but not for street and trail.

Two Stroke
Not for you if your going to try to make it street legal. Get a clear tank and carry oil if you want to.

Plates
If you can find one with a plate it will save you $500. By the time you get what you need to make it street legal and pay to have the title changed, you will be looking at $500.

Now make your decision. I don't think you will go wrong with any of them. If you do get anything smaller than a 450, plan on making it a temporary bike because you will eventually want to trade up as you get more seat time but the reality of it is, any of those bikes will suit you just fine on the trails.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I agree DeadEye my friends kickstart DRZ feels a lot like my WR weight and power wise. I wouldn't be surprised if they were less than 5lbs apart from each other--great bikes. My other friend has the e-start S model and its definitely more than a starter and blinkers--there is a 50+lb chunk of lead hidden somewhere under the seat along with a very de-tuned motor compared to the kickstart version.

To be clear... The street legal "S" version is detuned somewhat with a different carb. The "E" model is more similar to the kick start model. There were some changes regarding which models shard which parts one year I believe.

Sorry if I've made this whole thread about DRZ's! :)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
To be clear... The street legal "S" version is detuned somewhat with a different carb. The "E" model is more similar to the kick start model.

Agreed. I re-read my post an it wasn't very clear i should have said kick only and E model. I hope I didn't confuse everyone :0

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I had a '98(?) DRZ400E and it was a great bike, didn't feel much heaver than the WR400 (no e-start) that I had a few years prior, but the suspension didn't work as well as a similar year WR. The power on the DRZ was smoother and the engine was more tame than the WR, but it was a fine bike for trail riding and cruising around down. I only sold it to upgrade to a more dual-sport/adventure riding friendly DR650.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Well, I picked up a bike last night. It seems to have really even power. It was already street legal and plated. Had some suspension work already done to it. It is a 450 but I think I can grow into it.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Yes KTM 450 exc

It is a 2005 with a street legal kit and some nice parts. In very good condition.

I have boots and should get my helmet today.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Well, I rode it around town from the minute I got home today. I can't believe how many smiles it brings.

Caleb

Well, I rode it around town from the minute I got home today. I can't believe how many smiles it brings.

Two things riding a dirt bike on the road will bring, weird stares and smiles. Weird stares from the fuddy duddies and smiles from the kids of those fuddy duddies :D

Congrats on the bike, come out this weekend with everyone.