Cache County Road Debate

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
cruiseroutfit said:
Time to get active all you Cache County folks... don't let the county fight this alone, call them and pledge your support, ask to be involoved in meetings, hearings, planning, etc...

http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/2004/06/27/news/news01.txt

WOW..........wondered when that would come to a head. Cronquists I know VERY WELL. We've had some good times in that canyon. I see both sides of that fight.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Spork said:
Is this the road out by the house that looks like a castle?

Used to go deer hunting south-west of there if it is...

No, that's a whole different story out there. You're thinking the Clarkston, Cornish area?

Cronquists are good people. Own the access lands to Birch Canyon, spur off of Smithfield Main. They've let people access 'through' their land since at least the '70's under condition that people left the gate as they found it and didn't tresspass on their land. (might add to that in the future.......gotta work)

Don't know the 'Yonks' from a hole in the ground.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
mbryson said:
No, that's a whole different story out there. You're thinking the Clarkston, Cornish area?
Don't know the 'Yonks' from a hole in the ground.

I'm thinking Petersboro it's between Mendon and Valley-view highway. Check THIS out it's where I'm thinking. I think I remember them closing the gate during the summer but then opening it for deer hunt.

Don't know the Yonks other than by name...

mbryson

Supporting Member
Spork said:
I'm thinking Petersboro it's between Mendon and Valley-view highway. Check THIS out it's where I'm thinking. I think I remember them closing the gate during the summer but then opening it for deer hunt.

Don't know the Yonks other than by name...

I think that's the place the article is referring to. There's another yahoo up north, nearer the Idaho border. DWR really doesn't care for him.

jeff788

birch creek

I hiked several miles up Birch Creek canyon a few months ago and the forest service road was marked as being closed to motorized travel. The gate at the beginning of the private property was locked as was the gate into the forest service land. There were several big "no tresspassing" signs right next the the forest service sign that says "public road through private land." So is the county trying to open the road on the forest service land? If the road is closed to motorized travel anyways, the access road being open or not seems like a moot point. I did notice four-wheeler and automobile tracks on the road several miles into the forest service road that is "closed." That was my first time up there. I really enjoyed the canyon, very beautiful.
Personally I'm not very sympathetic to the land owners. There is too much public land that is land locked by private land owners. I applaud the efforts of Cache County and wish that more counties would take such initiatives. Seems like about the same situation as the Strike Ravine trail in Moab. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Please keep us up to date as it develops.

Jeff

bryce

Richard Crainium
jeff said

"If the road is closed to motorized travel anyways, the access road being open or not seems like a moot point. I did notice four-wheeler and automobile tracks on the road several miles into the forest service road that is "closed.""

the road goes about 1 3/4 miles south after entering the national forest
then the land status changes to wilderness
i dont know what bug crawled up their @#$$%
the road has been used by the public for years