camping near red dunes

rockmike

Hey guys and gals,starting to plan year 4 of our awesome adventure to Moab again.We will be heading that way the week after EJS again this year.We have camped the last 3 years at various campgrounds with hook ups and such,this year I want to dry camp for the week.

Last two years coming out of Pritchett we've noticed the cool lil red sand dunes near the entrance to behind the rock trail.While exploring this area we found some awesome dry camping sites with in site of the dunes nestled up to a red rock cliff.I want to camp there! waking up every morning looking at the behind the rocks area,etc,etc would just be amazing!

So my question,what is this camp area called? is this BLM property?

Sure appreciate y'alls help,hospitality we've received over the last 4 years.Moab is my happy place,the people,the terrain,the bitchin!!! rocks!!!! I think about this place all the time all year lol.

MIke.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
I think you are referring to the rock formation we call Prostitute Butte. It is just before the sand dune area as you are coming from Pritchett back to highway 191. It is BLM land (the sand dunes are on state land), and there are several designated campsites up against the cliff. It is a great place to camp, I have stayed there a couple of times.

rockmike

Hey Jeff! thanks for the reply man.Hope all is well for you and the lil lady.We found a drive line for the 4 runner and actually made all the way through Pritchett lol what an awesome trail!!

I bet BLM doesn't refer to it as Prostitute Butte lol

I wont have the Black samurai on 40's this year Jeff.It still works great no issues with it.This year is all about easier trails and site seeing...I want to go check all the places I couldn't the past years cause I didn't want to beat them high $$$$ tires on the hiways.So Im bringing my 93 Sidekick its all sane looking hehe30's 4.24 gears, 2 '' lift, rear locker,I call it my exploring rig I take my grand kids out in.

rockmike

Is there an official name for that camping area?

What the deal is jeff,is my dad has been fighting cancer for the last 8 years.Recently he just got done with 38 days of radiation for the latest cancer fight...the prostate.Hes 72 and an old school jeeper from way back.I want him to experience Moab before he cant travel anymore,like most he cant afford to do it.So im saying F it im going in the hole to get him down there this year I don't care what it cost!This is why im bring the Sidekick this time.He has a fj40 with lockers,no lift,so we are traveling with mild rigs this year.

What trails or destinations would you suggest we try to see some cool stuff? Im planning on fins and things,I haven't been into canyon lands park yet so that's a no brainer.

Sure appreciate your time and knowledge of the area and any advice you have to offer jeff and all the locals that care to help out.

Thanks,MIke.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
You and your Dad will have a great time. There are hundreds of miles of easier scenic trails, both close to town and farther away. I love the trip through Lockhart Basin to Canyonlands, but it is best to do it in two days. Same with White Rim trail. Seven Mile Rim is awesome for scenery, and is pretty easy. Copper Ridge has some cool dinosaur tracks. Top of the World is hard to beat for awesome scenery. Take a look at the Chuck Wells book, there are lots of great trails!