camping suggestions along the Mirror Lake highway?

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
We may head up there and am looking for suggestions on where to camp in the area, dispersed camping in the trees away from people is preferred. Close to fishing a plus as well.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I like Murdock basin personally, and there are a bunch of lakes you can get into. The further in you go, the less likely you will be to find the Subaru campers.

Also, Soapstone is good too, but head the opposite direction of the Scout camps. I think it's called the cold spring loop, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Closer to the Evanstan side I've found some good spots in the Gold Hill area.

Bucking Bronco

I like Murdock basin personally, and there are a bunch of lakes you can get into. The further in you go, the less likely you will be to find the Subaru campers.

This is also one of my favorite places for camping. Its getting high class up there though. We were up there 2 weeks ago and we passed a frikkin Maserati just past the split in the trail where the out house is at.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
This is also one of my favorite places for camping. Its getting high class up there though. We were up there 2 weeks ago and we passed a frikkin Maserati just past the split in the trail where the out house is at.

The irony of this statement does not escape me. The split represents choice, the outhouse represents schit and the Maserati represents redundancy ('cause schit was already spoken for).

hedonist

Supporting Member
all good areas! A nice spot is Alexander as well. You can camp right on the lake and all spots are somewhat private. Try and get up there early fri or thurs and more than likely you will get the best spot on the east side of the lake. Stay away from the south side. Not good lake access. Take spring canyon rd across from Duchesne tunnel. There are also a few other lakes in that area.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
My wife works Friday, so we will head up after 5. My backup plan is to go down around Gooseberry or Joe's Valley again, very few people down there over the 24th.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've caught a few fish in Echo, standing on a log using a ~3 foot stick, ~5 feet of line, and some bugs on a hook.

They were just little Brookies if I remember right. I just tossed em back.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
We ended up going down above Fairview toward the Huntington end of 31, caught a lot of fish and cooked some amazing food in the Dutch Ovens.

There were a ton of people down there. Hickey and his wife joined us at the cabin, and we all rode up to Miller's Flat on Sunday. We couldn't even find a decent place to stop and let the dogs swim without annoying fishermen. There wont be anybody up there for the rest of the fall though.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
There were a ton of people down there. Hickey and his wife joined us at the cabin, and we all rode up to Miller's Flat on Sunday. We couldn't even find a decent place to stop and let the dogs swim without annoying fishermen. There wont be anybody up there for the rest of the fall though.

Tell me about it, we had to drive back 26 miles to Gooseberry and Boulger to fish, and we left the dogs in the Jeep aside from taking them out on leash to go potty. Still caught my limit all 3 days so it was good enough, all my fish were 11-14 inches. I plan to go back next month, it should be 2x better and the larger fish will have calmed down from all the people so they will be biting.

I even saw a Kokanee Salmon swimming around even though I have never heard of them up there, so keep your eyes open. It had a dark head and red body.