Can I put a LR in an 8.8 w/ trac loc?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Is it possible to remove the trac loc and put in a lock right? I don't see any reason you couldn't, but for some reason I remember someone telling me that you have to have an open 8.8 to put in a lockright. I can get an ARB for it for 390, but I don't have the $$$ for the compressor--does anyone have a good line a 20lb CO2 tank w/ 105 psi regulator that I could use to run an ARB?

I know, lockrights are weak, but my wallet is thin.

Parker

Originally posted by GroceryGetter
Is it possible to remove the trac loc and put in a lock right? I don't see any reason you couldn't, but for some reason I remember someone telling me that you have to have an open 8.8 to put in a lockright. I can get an ARB for it for 390, but I don't have the $$$ for the compressor--does anyone have a good line a 20lb CO2 tank w/ 105 psi regulator that I could use to run an ARB?

I know, lockrights are weak, but my wallet is thin.

I believe you would just need to find an open or "stock" carrier for your 8.8 (probably not that expensive) so that you can install the l/r. I'm not sure if the trash-loc uses the stock carrier or not... I've never seen one before. If it does use the stock carrier, pull it out of carrier and throw it away... then insert L/R.

Where are you getting an ARB for so cheap? I'd jump on that deal if I were you... much stronger than the L/R and probably cheaper in the long run... plus your ride is driven everyday. Save the L/R for the front.

Brent

another nobody
they only work with open cariers.

get one of those air tanks from autozone, fill it up before each run and don't cycle the arb's much :D

and if you get low on the trail, I'll pump it up for ya.

or go to pic and pull and get a sanden, then strap the thing to that big bad 318, all the air your ever going to need...

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Thats what I thought about the open carriers. What would it cost to get something to run that ARB? I'm very poor and am trying to scrape together the money to get my longarms on this spring.

There isn't much room for a sanden in my engine bay. Chrysler kinda' shoehorned the 318 in there. I know it has been done, but it requires lots of fabrication and relocation and bending of the oil checker tube thingy (technical term).

Plus, I really don't want a lockright up front--I don't have hubs and I don't wnat the crazy handling. I still have to drive this thing to school and work.

Brent

another nobody
throw in the arb, and put a cap on the thing, run it open not hooked up till you can get the compressor.

six states would have a carier, maybe a used one.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I second Six States on the carrier. I got a AMC 20 4.10-up carrier for no charge, from Six States! They are good guys!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Also, arn't ARB's designed for particular gear ratios? If it is for 3..73, when I go to 4.56 wouldn't I have to buy a new arb?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Also, arn't ARB's designed for particular gear ratios? If it is for 3..73, when I go to 4.56 wouldn't I have to buy a new arb?
Yep.

I would also go with on board air over co2.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Well I'm trying to figure out what the break point is for the ARB so I know what gear ratios I can use it with. It sounds like for the price I could probably sell the thing if I decide not to use it.

Brent--can you use just a simple air tank w/ regulator to power an ARB? That would just be a short term solution, but how long would a 20lb tank last powering an ARB (assuming no leak of course).?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
4:10 and 4:56 are your breaking points for the ARB.

As for the Air tank,, Yes you can set up a tank to only allow 90psi to the ARB and you will be fine.
Now this will be cool for doing trails around here, but if you take a trip to say,,, Moab a 20lb tank may last only a few day's (depending on how many trails you are on).
Granted a 20lb tank should last quite some time,,, what happens when you are on the trail and you run out of air...

Besides that,,,, you will need to air up your tires.

You could have a complete On Board Air for your rig for around $50.00.

And I happen to have 2 air tanks ;) One that is about 7lb and one that is about 15lbs.

Brent

another nobody
cody, short time you'd be fine with a tank, better if you put a regulator on the thing so the arb was gettin 85psi, and you pump the tank to 150 or so, it would last longer. then if you were on a trail with someone that had onboard air, you could have them pump the thing up if you ran out.

call six states on the gear split for the 8.8, the arb won't be any diffrent than the gear split on the regular carier.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
OK I heard back from teh guy with the axle and ARB. He said that for an 8.8 there is no carrier break--the ARB is a one size fits all kinda thing. Is this accurate?

Is 390 a good deal on an ARB? I havn't priced them since I decided they were too expensive. I think that if it is THAT good of a deal I will go ahead and get it and use an air tank to run it for now.

Anyone want to teach me how to install an ARB? :D

Cody

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
OK I heard back from teh guy with the axle and ARB. He said that for an 8.8 there is no carrier break--the ARB is a one size fits all kinda thing. Is this accurate?

Is 390 a good deal on an ARB? I havn't priced them since I decided they were too expensive. I think that if it is THAT good of a deal I will go ahead and get it and use an air tank to run it for now.

Anyone want to teach me how to install an ARB? :D

Cody

Check out what I found;)
http://cjford.stormloader.com/Tech/axleinfo1.htm

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
THis is what I've found. If anyone knows anything contrary to this information, please let me know, otherwise I'm going to go for it.

"Like a Detroit, the ARB is a carrier replacement locker. No need for an open carrier. The trac loc carrier is removed. "

Cody

Brett

Meat-Hippy
THis is what I've found. If anyone knows anything contrary to this information, please let me know, otherwise I'm going to go for it.

"Like a Detroit, the ARB is a carrier replacement locker. No need for an open carrier. The trac loc carrier is removed. "

Cody

Bingo