Can someone take a look at my bike for me?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I know there are a ton of super smart bike builders/riders on here. I need some help with mine. It's a 2003 DRZ400e. The main issue I'm having is the idle. Sometimes it idles great, then for no reason it just starts to rev up. Or sometimes will be revving high and I'll hear a click and it will drop down to a normal idle speed. It drives me nuts. I have no idea what the carb is adjusted to and haven't really messed with it.
I'd also be interested in some basic info, such as sprocket wear and chain tension. Are my shocks set right for me, ect... I have no idea if my bike is running at it's peak or if it's way off. It's my first bike, ever, and as it's sits I'm very happy with it. I'm just wondering if it could be better.

I can either ride the bike to your place or you could come to mine. I will pay you cash for your time, or if you come to my place I could do some welding or tube work or something if you needed it.
I'd like to try to do this Friday or Saturday if I can. I'm not in a hurry though so whenever you can help, that would be great.

Thanks.
Josh.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
The carbs are super simple and it would be easy to pull it off and tear it down to clean it out. I'm sure there are plenty of Carb threads on Thumper Talk. No reason you can't DIY it and learn that much more about your bike!

Same goes for the chain & sprockets, it's all quite simple stuff.

If I were closer I'd come help ya. :)

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
A second recommendation for Thumper Talk. I have learned everything I have needed to there. Not enough to do the work for someone else though, sorry. I am pretty sure my suspension is still wrong for me. It's still too stiff, my DRZ400e was set up as a track use bike before I bought it, and I have just sort of gotten used to the stiffness. It was a supermoto race bike. Heh! I have been riding it offroad for two years with the stiff stuff, and I don't really know any different.

rholbrook

I could help you but it would be a week before I could. Lake Powell comes first but if you could wait, I would enjoy helping you. I don't charge either

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Thanks for the help offer. Next week works better for me now anyways. I have no problem doing it myself. My problem is that I don't know what's good or bad. For example, I thought my sprocket looked brand new, but a guy told me last week it was about to fail, along with my chain. I know I can R&R them, but don't know if I need to.
I've been doing a lot of reading on Thumper. I like the website, but from what I gather, it seems the catch all is, "send your engine to Eddie". I'm not going to do that.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Major thanks to rholbrook! Through phone calls and texts we worked through the carb. Found a few things wrong and got them sorted out. The bike now runs better then it ever has. Now I'm toying with selling it and getting a klr650 for a better adv. ride. We'll see what happens.

Greg

Admin
Congrats!

A KLR? Eeeeewwwww! :rofl: I had one for a few months, they're OK bikes but not good at any one thing... they can do everything, but not well.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I'm going to try to keep it mostly dirt. I'm still learning how to ride these things, both on and off road. As I progress I see my self in a V strom or maybe a ktm 990 or the likes. The klr is a cheap step up in the right direction of where I want to be in the next year or two. Also with the goal of my wife getting her endorsement and riding with me. When she is ready she will take over the klr and I will move up to the next level.

Greg

Admin
I'm going to try to keep it mostly dirt. I'm still learning how to ride these things, both on and off road. As I progress I see my self in a V strom or maybe a ktm 990 or the likes. The klr is a cheap step up in the right direction of where I want to be in the next year or two. Also with the goal of my wife getting her endorsement and riding with me. When she is ready she will take over the klr and I will move up to the next level.

There are plenty of people that set their DRZ's up for 'Adventure' travel, I rode with a guy last Spring that loved his bike. He had a big tank, good seat and possibly different gearing? Put some Dunlop 606's on your DRZ, a big tank, nice seat and a gear change and you're good to go! His bike was actually a KLX400, different color but same as the DRZ. Here's his bike on the White Rim...

829843580_zuyo3-L.jpg

I think you'd be let down by a KLR after your DRZ... the engines are weezy, the suspension sucks and the bike is quite a pig.

If you want a dirt-ready Adventure-type bike look no further than your DRZ.... just outfit it a bit different. As common as DRZ's are, you could probably find a used big tank, etc.

Greg

Admin
Very much so. Nonadjustable flexy-forked suckfest. :D

I've said it before, but my decision to sell my KLR came when I was passing a tractor-trailer on the freeway at almost 80 MPH... and the front forks started to do this crazy front-to-back wobble... in the fast lane. :eek: F that!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
What I would really like to do keep the D and then pick up a v strom. Other then The klr is there another bike around $3000 that will do the off road stuff and not drive me nuts on the freeway?

Greg

Admin
What I would really like to do keep the D and then pick up a v strom. Other then The klr is there another bike around $3000 that will do the off road stuff and not drive me nuts on the freeway?

DR650... :greg: I love mine, it's 10x the bike as the KLR off road and handles road riding better as well, IMO. You won't have a big gas tank like the KLR, but buying a 5 gallon tank is an easy option. Add a wind screen and you'll have a bike that can do everything better than the KLR.

I've ridden my DR650 on the freeway from Green River, UT to Moab, then onto my home in Fruita. It's a simple, reliable great bike.

Having a true dual sport and a V-Strom is a winning combo IMO, the V-Strom absolutely rocks for road riding, and will still handle a dirt road.

All said, I'm getting ready to sell my DR650 (well, probably the V-Strom and WR450 :sick: ) and get a Husky TE610. But, they're usually more than $3000 for the newer, better ones.