Can u tow an xj, w/ an xj?

utahxjer

Anyone ever done this? The one doing the towing has a 4.0L, auto. And the trailer would be a tandem axle w/ brakes. What does everyone think?

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
My buddy mark towed his huge 97 xj which had like a 10" lift with 36's on a tiny trailer with no brakes or anything... It did have 2 axles (if that's what tandem means :) ) and he was using an older 88 or something like that xj to tow it.

He made it all the way to Moab and had no problems... You probably won't be able to go very fast, but you could do it.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Originally posted by utahxjer
Anyone ever done this? The one doing the towing has a 4.0L, auto. And the trailer would be a tandem axle w/ brakes. What does everyone think?

Done it? No

I believe that my tow rig should wiegh more then the rig I'm towing.:D (CTD)

Brakes will be a big help just don't get crazy going down hill.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Just because it has been done doesn't mean it should be done. This is an unwise.....no......a foolish idea and should be reserved for emergencies only. Additionally, pulling a trailer without trailer brakes is equally stupid. Use safe towing practices; remember there are other people on the road too.

EZ

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I have and I'd NEVER do it again, unless I was under similar circumstances.

I towed Brent's XMJ on a trailer from Crescent Junction to Moab. I stayed 45-50 mph on the flat and slower than that as I started down the canyon. I've got fairly stout rear springs (add a leaf) and tow my little camp trailer all the time. I'll NEVER purposely tow something that heavy down hill again with the XJ. BRAKES!!!!!

Got some pretty wild looks, though. People kind of rubber neck Brent's XMJ anyway, and on a trailer being slowly towed by a similar sized XJ that has some 'flop' side damage, it got a lot of attention.

bb88

New Title
I tried towing w/ an XJ a few years ago, I was towing just the body of an old car(about 2400 lbs)when I went down a SLIGHT hill I lost control, I used all 7 lanes trying to get back in control, I still don't know how I didn't end up on my lid or worse. I was useing a tandem axle trailer W/ brakes. I would NEVER tow anything even slightly heavy with an XJ

Caleb

Originally posted by bb88
I tried towing w/ an XJ a few years ago, I was towing just the body of an old car(about 2400 lbs)when I went down a SLIGHT hill I lost control, I used all 7 lanes trying to get back in control, I still don't know how I didn't end up on my lid or worse. I was useing a tandem axle trailer W/ brakes. I would NEVER tow anything even slightly heavy with an XJ

I agree, I towed two fourwheelers on a flatbed trailer and I couldn;t go much faster than 45-50 mph...I never towed with my XJ again (BTW, mine was a 2001)

xjbroncofreak

Web Wheeler 2nd Class
My father-in-law towed his 18' boat to East Canyon and Rock Port weekly for at least 8 years with his 91 XJ and his only problem was overheating on Parleys.

P

pokeyYJ

Originally posted by supergper

I agree, I towed two fourwheelers on a flatbed trailer and I couldn;t go much faster than 45-50 mph...I never towed with my XJ again (BTW, mine was a 2001)

Really???? How much did the trailer weight? My friend and I used his dad's 2001 XJ with 32's and stock gearing to tow four waverunner's to Bear Lake and the only time we dropped below 70 was going trough Sardine canyon. I thought that the XJ did great, considering I can barely make 70 through the canyon in my YJ.

Caleb

Originally posted by pokeyYJ

Really???? How much did the trailer weight? My friend and I used his dad's 2001 XJ with 32's and stock gearing to tow four waverunner's to Bear Lake and the only time we dropped below 70 was going trough Sardine canyon. I thought that the XJ did great, considering I can barely make 70 through the canyon in my YJ.

well the trailer is a HEAVY trailer...its 22' long and about 2800lbs...this is the trailer here...
attachment.php

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I tow with a ZJ and it sux. XJ is shorter, lighter, and has less power, less braking. I at least have a v8 and disk brakes on all 4 corners to go along with my tandem axled, electric brake equipped trailer with 10k lb load distribution and sway control.

XJ with and XJ sounds like a suicide mission to me. THe first time you have to tow through the wind, or swerve to miss a tire in the road, it's your ass. Is your life worth it?

Cody

utahxjer

Dude, I was just asking, I don't need death threats. I've already decided against it. (w/ the help of everyone here)

So thanks everyone for your help! (And saving my life!) And others lives! Everyone go ahead and pat yourself on the back!!! I did!;)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Dude, I was just asking, I don't need death threats. I've already decided against it. (w/ the help of everyone here)

So thanks everyone for your help! (And saving my life!) And others lives! Everyone go ahead and pat yourself on the back!!! I did!;)

Towing issues are always quite passionate for some reason.......no worries.........

Brett

Meat-Hippy

Who gave you a death threat?:confused:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I will kill you till you die from it :D

I hope I didn't come off rude, but I'm just trying to prevent people from making the same mistake I did.

Now I'm looking for a cheap ford 2wd 3/4-1 ton in the early 90's variety. Couple grand and I should have a decent tow rig and can keep my white ZJ for moderate trail duty.

Cody