Canvas!

DAA

Since I had the first one done a few months ago, I've been playing with more canvas prints recently. Decided to try and have some printed up but not framed - delivered rolled up. Then I tried my hand at doing the gallery wrap framing by myself. Pretty pleased with how these are turning out!

20130220_Home_Canvas-5W.jpg

Have done about a dozen total, they look awesome on the wall! Thinking I'm going to do more. Be running out of wall space before long though, guess I can start filling the walls in the kids rooms :D.

- DAA

DAA

I sent plain old JPEGs to the printer. Really not sure on the megapixel requirement. The two larger ones above are 12x18 prints, shot with my Canon 60D. The other one, of the mustangs, is 8x18 and I took that with my point and shoot camera. I think for prints this size, just about any fairly recent camera is going to have plenty of resolution.

- DAA

DAA

Looks good Dave, did having them sent without a frame save a decent amount $$

Well... This time it did. Next time, maybe not. See below for further explanation.

Who did you have print them?

I don't even know who did the actual printing. How it worked, was this... I have a coworker who does printing on the side. He told me he could do me a ripping deal on printing canvas. So I took him up on it and gave him a disc with 5 JPEGs on it to have printed. Well... It turns out, his printer doesn't do canvas. But he has some sort of a deal worked out with a friend of his, who does do canvas, where my coworker does card stock and calendar type jobs for him at cost and the other guy does large art prints for him at cost. But... Turns out that the price, for all five prints on a single 54" wide sheet of canvas, with me doing all the cutting and framing and everything, was going to be about the same price I can get them done at Costco framed and everything. A couple of them I wanted done in sizes Costco doesn't offer (like the 8x18 of the mustangs). So I told him to go ahead and do it.

Then... Something went wrong somewhere along the line between the two of them in getting this done. I really don't know what the deal was. But, it ended up taking five weeks to get these done local. And like I said, I can get them done already framed and ready to hang from Costco for the same money, and that only takes a week. So I was less than thrilled... But! They surprised me and told me "no charge" when the job was finally done.

So, I know that was a long story, but if I had just said "I don't know who printed them and they only cost me about $5 each for the frames", that wouldn't have made any sense :rofl:.

Bottom line though, is no, at this point, it doesn't look like having them done loose is going to be much if any cheaper (compared to Costco). But, I can do any size I want, which is nice, especially when I want to do a wide narrow panoramic type print.

- DAA

- DAA