Cat Canyon closed for wilderness study?

brikar

I was cruising along Hwy 6 last week and need a break so I stopped at the trailhead for Cat Canyon to go for a little walk up the trail. Around the road from the highway in the middle of the trail was 2 signs stating that this was the King Top Wilderness Study area and the trail was off limits to everything except hiking and horses. I had not heard about this trail closure, when did this happen?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I was always under the impression, that the wilderness study area was on both sides of the trail, Craig s should know whats up. I love that trail

brikar

The sign was in the middle of the trail with a jeep, motorcycle and an atv crossed out on each one. It was a little funny because they picked up some cantalope size rocks and neatly laid them across the trail as well for emphasis right before it initially drops into the wash.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
about 60 miles west of delta right in the middle of the first set of canyons/mountains

SportSawyer

The sign was in the middle of the trail with a jeep, motorcycle and an atv crossed out on each one. It was a little funny because they picked up some cantalope size rocks and neatly laid them across the trail as well for emphasis right before it initially drops into the wash.

I think it'd be best to contact the BLM Fillmore Field Office and ask them about the road. Talk with someone who knows (like the FO Manager).

I've seen similar "closures" before. One was on Road #637 in the San Rafael Swell 4-5 years ago. This road runs along the west side of a WSA, but not in the WSA. Someone had placed a WSA sign in the middle of the road and put in a line of rocks, similar to what you're describing. I had a current travel map that showed it as open. I contacted the BLM (a State Office employee) and confirmed it wasn't closed.

These "mistakes" may be done by people who just misunderstood the travel plan. Maybe sometimes it's done by activists who think they're "closing" roads by moving signs... sort of the same as those who think they are "opening" roads by removing real closed signs.

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
It's could be a mistake, The BLM has a track record of mistakes of similar nature. They occasionally try to manage a WSA as wilderness. Like for example CAANAN mtn.