51.5 KB · Views: 66
  • PICT0352.jpg
    PICT0352.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 73
  • PICT0354.jpg
    PICT0354.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 76

brikar

I Have Wanted To Do That Trail For Some Time Now. How Long Did It Take You And How Many Rigs Did You Have? You Said In The Other Thread You Were Going To Do Chainsaw...any Luck?
Thank You For The Pictures I Was Afraid There Still Might Be Some Snow...now I Will Be Heading There Soon.

notajeep

Just me
From trailer to trailer with lunch and drink breaks (No other breaks... as in birfields) it took 3 hours. It was just my father and I. I drove and he ran video. I could see how a larger group could take much longer though. We didn't run chainsaw. Had we known how fast cat canyon was we would have planned for both trails. But being there alone and not having run either before we were more conservative.

jeepers

damn those are some sweet looking trails it looks really fun I would love to hit them but not sure at all how to get threre anyway nice picks let me know when you might be making a trip down threre thanks Jeepers

notajeep

Just me
Greg said:
Is that a 4Runner towing your rig and is that how you got to Delta? Is it a 3.4 V6? :eek:
01 4 runner wth the 4.3. It is my fathers. Yes I would like to have something larger but it does ok. truck and the trailer weigh in right ar 4800lbs and the runners max is 5000. Added an rv tranny cooler and brake controller. It pulls (on flat ground) at 75mph at about 3800 rpm (never in overdrive.);)

notajeep

Just me
jeepers said:
damn those are some sweet looking trails it looks really fun I would love to hit them but not sure at all how to get threre anyway nice picks let me know when you might be making a trip down threre thanks Jeepers
Cat canyon was really easy to find, the trail head was just off the road and the GPS took us right there.:cool:

notajeep

Just me
Dirt Monkey said:
That area looks like it has some definite potential, got any more pics?
My father may have a few more pics, But the video will be sweet. I ALMOST layed it on its side coming up the area in the pic below. How I didn't is a mystery to me....:confused: It is easily leaning 70 deg. But I drove out of it somehow. Anyway, might be a few days on the video, got a new camera that records in HD and still working on how to transfer to computer and post and keep it in HD.

Attachments

• roll.jpg
    roll.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 67

brikar

3 hours with one vehicle...sweet...so I was coming along hwy 6 once in my car and stopped at the trailhead (very easy to find). i walked up the trail for about a mile before i turned around...how many miles did you go up the trail? it is my understanding that you can either turn around or head back out to hwy 6 off a connecting road, did you find this to be the case? by the way it has been a while since i was up providence canyon...has the rock garden become a bigger rock garden or have all the rocks been kicked away? once on top of providence is the quick steep route to the top open again or has it remained closed sending you onto the longer route? a lot of fun to be had up there in logan...a lot of good wheeling memories...thanks for your report

notajeep

Just me
Sure you could turn around if you wanted to I guess. We continued on. Our map showed 2 ways out one shorter but seemed to visit 2 of the small peaks on the way back to the road and the other was slightly longer but seemed to be easier going, so we took the long way. It was just an easy 2 track untill about half way out there was a ravine the road dropped into and about a 7 foot drop to the right, a 3 foot v notch to the left with about a 3 foot drop and in the middle you could kinda take a split s line but was way off camber. We chose the middle route. One back to the highway the roads are only about a 1\4 miles apart.
Providence changes every year and the hard parts go to different areas. The back side of mt logan is still closed and you have to take the long way around.
Dan

Craig S

Commando
History of Cat Canyon

Hi, I'm Craig and I live in Delta. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Cat Canyon. The Geenies have been trying to close this canyon to vehicle traffic for the last six years. Please use it as often as possible so that it has a distinguishable path through it. In 1999 it had only a vague path through it because it had not been used for many years. The road through Cat is an old sheep hearding and cattle trail used by ranchers during the early part of the last century. Mining has also been a past use of this trail to access claims in the canyon. During the 70s and 80s the canyon recieved little or no traffic and was thought to be inpassable and closed by the BLM. This is not the case as it is an RS477 road! The road was first used again in 1999 for trail rides By the Notch Peak Desert Dogs 4x4 club. I have not been on the trail for a couple years and would like to run it again some time. Please let me know when you are coming to Delta again as I would like to go with you.

Sincerely,
Craig Stumph

nvrstuk

crap, i'm stuck...
Sweet vids! I've been down there twice in the past two years, and love cat canyon. The first time we went down, we had bad GPS cords, and couldnt find it. We asked a chick at the local gas station, in Delta, if she knew where any jeepers lived, and she drew us a map to Craigs house! He and his family are way cool people, and showed us the exact way to Cat Canyon. Craig was going to wheel with us the next day, but one of our guys broke an axle on the trail, and we spent all the next day gettin it fixed and off the trail.
If you get a chance to go, do it. And if you get ahold of Craig, you wont regret it, he is a stud, and has done a lot to keep trails open for us in that area.
Thanks Craig!

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
e28bimmer said:
You mean tread lightly isnt the way to keep these open??

there is the side of me that is wondering if this is somehow a smarta$$ comment coming from someone who is trying to justify driving where ever he feels the need.

But I will try and be optimistic about the comment and hope it is a legitimate comment/question...

Btw this is a cool trail, I have run it with the notch peak guys and again on my own with friends. Great Trail.

Here is a pic of my bro last spring

Attachments

• DSCF1708 (Small).JPG
    DSCF1708 (Small).JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 34