Cheap new winches any good?

rossrosseland

I'm looking at some $389/$349 8500 lb 5.5 hp winches from Max Tool or gregsmithequipment. Does anyone have any experiences with these? They look like Ramsey or Warn knockoffs and they're probably made overseas. Are they any good?

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
i was reading the product manual for the 9000 winch... and its not a true 9000 lb winch... its a 4500 and when you use a double line that doubles the weight to the 9000 lbs limit. so my 12,000 pounder becomes a 24,000 when I double the line so to say...

I would probably stay away from these unless you going to just use them for moving things around the yard... if you look in the product manual there is a chart of what it will pull with reguards to incline angles... at 45 degrees that 9000 can only pull 2000 lbs... so if it was in a rock buggy it might work but a full size tj it would burn the motor up and not move you that far.

So there is my .02 worth.
John

Johnny4X4

a winch like those are good for only 2 things, put it on your trailer to load your jeep when it is broke, or any random vehicle for that matter, or use it in a multimount for very occasional use.

i have had 2 ramseys, a 8000 rep, and when it wasnt enough, i traded it for a 9500 patriot.

way to happy with the patriot on my TJ. :D

Happy Joe

You guys are probably right... but since a winch is mostly used for your friends, and it was real cheap , I figured, why not give it a try. if it works ... great, if not I'll put the old ramsey under the floor in its place. (Warn 9000 up front).
Enjoy!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
There are many times when your winch is your lifeline. You might be finishing a tough trail that just needs a tug at the end but you are completely supported by your winch a-la upper helldorado. Or you might be rolling a friend back on his rubber in a tricky spot. In these situations, you shoudln't have to worry if the thing is going to fall apart and cause personal injury or even death.

Save your pennies and buy QUALITY. There are few things that you REALLY need to get well built like roll cages and brake systems...skimp on your paint but not something that can get you hurt.

ZUKEYPR

I'm just curious as to how many of those that have responded have actual hands on knowledge of these winches. I bought the $299.00 Harbor freight 8,000 lb winch. It has been performed flawlessly for three years now, and yes I use it constantly and my rig isn't a 3,500 pound cheap, it's a monster 5,400 lbs. Only once did it stop working, but then again that was what it was meant to do. It was do to multiple winching long distance. I think we made five pulls back to back. Yes, it will not get me over the waterfall at the end of Constrictor or Upper Helldorado but then again I wouldn't want to go over them anyways. Would I like a Warn.......o'ya. But not because of the true or mythilogical durability but for the line speed. The cheapo's are slower than pond water.

Happy Joe

The winch up front was ugraded from ramsey to warn. The cheapo is going to be run out the back mostly for tie point purposes, as such, it will rarely if ever be called upon to actually move something heavy. As I have said many times (but probably not here) "you buy a winch for your friends" (in this case I have bought 2).
I took a long hard look at the harbor freight 8000 before purchasing, looks every bit as good as a ramsey or flat warn (but does not have a series wound motor so it is pretty much garanteed to be slower than an Alaskan tortise in December.
BTW I also have a harbor freight lathe and mill and both have more than paid for themselves.
Enjoy!

STW

Tried to buy a winch several times this year (on ebay). Decided against the harbor freight and have been looking at used winches. Probably would have been mentioned if there was such a thing, but I'll ask anyway: any place on the wasatch front or nearby where used winches go for sale?

BTW, new to the forum here, and very happy to find a Jeep/4wd forum of locals. Sounds like this is Utah-based from what I've read so far. I'm in Utah county and drive a 2000 TJ fourbanger with a budget boost, 30s and a few other things.

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
STW said:
Tried to buy a winch several times this year (on ebay). Decided against the harbor freight and have been looking at used winches. Probably would have been mentioned if there was such a thing, but I'll ask anyway: any place on the wasatch front or nearby where used winches go for sale?

BTW, new to the forum here, and very happy to find a Jeep/4wd forum of locals. Sounds like this is Utah-based from what I've read so far. I'm in Utah county and drive a 2000 TJ fourbanger with a budget boost, 30s and a few other things.

Big Sgt. seems to have a plethora of used winches if you can talk him out of one You might PM him. Have you checked out a Mile Marker winch? They seem to be very reasonable in cost. $450 for the 9000# with the roller fairlead. They are the ones that came out with the hydraulic winch a few years ago and now have expanded to electric. I know we (U4WDA) gave one away not to long ago. I have only experience with Warn and Rasmsey. One of each.

Johnny4X4

winching ebay

i bought my first winch off of ebay, it worked out good for me, but it took $97 to get it here on top of the sold price. i still got a good deal, i wish i had known there was a place like this 5 years ago when i bought it.

JackKeslerCustoms

I bought the MileMarker E9000 a year ago, and for what I use it for I really like it. When I was researching them I found that the Millemarkers amp draw is half of the Warn's or Ramsey's, but then I found out why the first time I used it. Its half the SPEED of a Warn or Ramsey. But it is a very stout winch, don'[t think you could overheat it if you wanted to, and it's pulled me up the Eagle's Nest, a 7 foot wall at the Playground in Pritchett canyon, and misc other things, not to mention upright whoever is on their lid. For the money I think it's worth it. and, shop the net, mine was $450, + $79 for the mounting plate and free shipping.