Cherokee swap!!!

I am looking to start a v8 swap into my 89 cherokee and I am also going with some axles out of a 74 2500 chev truck I was woundering if anyone out there has done this and if so any tips that might make it alittle easier(I know it wount be easy) but I am going all out on it this time, I have a 1998 CHEV BLAZER with a TBI 350 that I am taking the wireing and the engine out of. I am going to go with a th350 trans and using the t-case out of the 74 truck that I have. so if you guys have any ideas or hints if would help. thanks.

and P.S> congrats to notajeep I saw you on extreme 4x4!!

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Start now on reinfocing the unibody EVERYWHERE. I know that people on NAXJA have done it, but I personally think it's a bad idea. The XJ body isn't strong to start with....

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
X2 X3 X4 X5 I would build another "frame" on the outside of the unibody frame before you drop that in there.. or you can do it and watch your body get all tweaked in a few trail runs and then wish that you could straighten it out enough to build something serious in there :)..

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'd get something with a frame for a V8. Maybe keep your XJ intact until the build is done on the frame rig for a trail "fix"/expedition rig every now and then.

You're gonna put a lot of work into putting a V8 into the XJ body and keeping the engine cool. Not that it can't be done, just that you'll put a little time/money into it to get it done. If you're dyed in the wool about an XJ, who's to stop you? Make it nice and get it done.

But after using up an XJ for a trail rig and having a YJ framed "Jeep" now, I'd do the YJ frame (or other suitable boxed frame) and go from there.

The '74 Chev will have a D44 for a front axle. If you're going over 37" tires, I'd start thinking about a 60 or upgrading to alloy shafts and kewl axle joints.

A 1998 Blazer is a TBI? I would think that'd be a Vortec, but I'm not sure as I'm not any kind of Blazer expert.

Last edited:
thanks for all the input I have taken all the info and I think you guys are right so I think I am going to go with a better frame to start with. I am not sure what year the blazer is for sure but I know that it is TBI. I also agree with the statment that I will need to build the axles up I am hoping to run 38" tires but not sure yet I have kinda re thought the hole thing I may try to find somthing better for what I want to build. If anyone has any good projects that they might be willing to par with that would be a better starting place let me know. Thanks

well the reason that I am not wanting to build the blazer is that I like the size of the mini trucks and I would rather not swap an IFS front end and the blazer has no trans or axles in it now. I know it would be easier to do the axle swap rather than the engine swap but I would really like to stick to the mini to mid size trucks.

P.S. the engine swap is off and I am not going full widths anymore either. I am going to keep this thing mild and when I run on to a better starting point truck I will jump in and do it then. thanks for all the help eveyone!