chev

ranman

Hi-N-Dry
I need some help on a Chev. Blazer S10 , Im driving down the free-way and all of the sudden it shuts off, i pull over and it starts again .. start again and then it does it again.
It will sit and idle fine, i thought it might be bad gas, it does it alot when it is hot.
Anybody had the same problem, let me know?

Thanks

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
ranman said:
I need some help on a Chev. Blazer S10 , Im driving down the free-way and all of the sudden it shuts off, i pull over and it starts again .. start again and then it does it again.
It will sit and idle fine, i thought it might be bad gas, it does it alot when it is hot.
Anybody had the same problem, let me know?

Thanks
Vapor lock.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I had a bad battery connection do that once. Negative terminal on a side post battery was just a little loose. It would shut down the whole car.........NOTHING worked (radio, lights, etc.)......miraculously 1 minute, 1 tow, 3 days later (whatever) it would work totally fine again......

If you have battery power, I'd vote for a CPS or similar type of sensor.

phillippi

Never enough time
The chevys have a protection built in when the power gets too low. As a safeguard it shuts everything down. I had a tahoe do this when the alt couldnt produce enough voltage to keep the computer happy. It shuts down everything like you describe. Check alt.

ranman

Hi-N-Dry
Chev.

Charging system, battery good, it act likes the gas was just shut off.
Where and what is a CPS?
Thought maybe a fuel filter or pump?

Thanks

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
ranman said:
Charging system, battery good, it act likes the gas was just shut off.
Where and what is a CPS?
Thought maybe a fuel filter or pump?

Thanks

CPS = Crank position Sensor (or Cam position Sensor)......... It sounds like a typical CPS issue. I'm not sure if there are CPS issues on engines available in S10 or not.

If it's fuel, it's way weird (not that it couldn't be)

ranman

Hi-N-Dry
Chev.

Any way to test the CPS on that? I dont know about vapor lock, i thought that only happens on Carbureted Vehicles? And it does'nt happen all the time mainly when its hot.

ranman

Hi-N-Dry
Chev.

Man this is crazy! It did it to me today again, about 4 times about a 5 miles from my house.
I had to get out and push the SOB out of the intersection twice.
Im fustrated with this thing, can't figure it out, starts right back up after i get it out of the intersection and will go again for about a mile and do it again.
It shuts off like it ran out of gas, and the tank is full.

Please Help

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
Why not just pull the codes from the computer? It sure beats the hell out of asking everyone to give you their WAG's. It'll probably point you to the problem too, or at the very least eliminate several potential things that could be the problem.

ranman

Hi-N-Dry
Thanks for "Your No Help At ALL Answer" There are some problem that don't show up on codes!
Just wanted to find out if any body else has had this problem and what they did to fix it. Because it is Intermitant it is a hard problem to fix. and i don't mind WAGs because they give me ideas to check out!

peckertrax

don't follow me....
Because it is Intermitant it is a hard problem to fix. and i don't mind WAGs because they give me ideas to check out![/QUOTE]

Here's a list of WAGs, all of them have happened to me.

Intermitant makes me think its electical.
wireing to fuel pump (pump is in tank, right?)
fuse for fuel pump
bat cables
key switch (ignition, do you have to 'jiggle' it sometimes?)

Good luck!

ranman

Hi-N-Dry
Thanks for all you're input, i don't think it is anything electrical mainly because i can imediately re-start it, no hesitation.
Im leaning towards fuel problems going to be tearing out the fuel pump tommorow, unless i find any thing else.
Pretty much have tested all the sensors, and wiring ect.
Its a hard problem to fix because it fixes it self!

peckertrax

don't follow me....
"Its a hard problem to fix because it fixes it self!"

I had a Mazda truck that would die EVERY time I turned to the left, after I stopped, it would fire right up. Everything ran great, until I turned left again.
Two different shops couldn't figure out the problem. I decided paying a shop to not fix the problem was ridiculous so I dropped the gas tank, and found a loose (half broken)wire to the fuel pump.

I wouldn't rule out electrical just because you can start it again.

4x4phil

If it were fuel it wouldn't make sense to shut down just when it got hot unless it was vaporlock problems. Personally if you think its fuel you should change the filter befor dropping the tank. If you have a partly clogged filter the car will drive intil it sucks all the fuel out of the line and shut down. By the time you get pulled over the pump has pushed enough gas into the system to start it again. And usually the longer you wait the farther you can drive without it shutting down. If you get on the throttle hard it'll cut out because it can't flow enough gas. Most of the time if your pump is bad it'll make a whining sound, but not always. It's not gonna hurt to change the filter anyway. Most people neglect them til they go bad. Maybe it doesn't happen when its hot, but when you driven it long enough to starve the fuel line.

ranman

Hi-N-Dry
Yeah that is a good call, i actually had planned on changing the filter which i did a while ago about 30 K. Before i went into the pump, i pulled it out tonight and sure enough it is clogged. I don't know if it will fix it i'll have to run it around town before im sure enough to take it out on long trips!
Thanks for the input on this subject.